Intergrate Subwoofer Cabinets into Plasma TV Table. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a hard time trying to find a cabinet/subwoofer solution. I developed the following idea, thinking it would save some space, reduce clutter, and clean up the game room at our home.

ENTERTAINMENTCENTERSUBWOOFER.jpg

My question is, has anyone had any experience with building subwoofer cabinets into an entertainment center? Any drawbacks, concerns with vibration causing damage to the equipment, etc?

I'm debating on having a friend build the design for me, since he has access to tooling etc. He's saying it doesn't look too complex, including inner baffles for the subwoofer cabinets etc.

Thoughts?

Panasonic TC P65s2
Onkyo TX-NR708, 2 Beheringer EP2500's , Belkin PF60, HDMI Set Top Box, PS3/XboxOne
1 Yamaha NS-C444
2 Yamaha NS-777
4 Yamaha NS-333
4 Power Acoustik Mofo 15's (1.6 cubes sealed and stuffed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
May not be the ideal location, within the room, for acoustics.

You could cut out the bottom of the cabinet so the sub sits on the floor. Use acoustically transparent fabric to cover the front. Change the design so the cabinet has lower feet, so you can't see the bottom of the sw.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Realistically the height shouldn't be any higher than our present console we have now. The width of the unit is where we're making up the space. The feet are just an idea, my wife was saying that it would look a little better in the room if it was off the floor a little. Acoustic cloth will be used to cover the faces of the subwoofers, I just have to get with my cabinet maker about finalizing the design.

What I'm looking to achieve is something similar to this, just without all the stuff around it.

500_home_theater.jpg

Panasonic TC P65s2
Onkyo TX-NR708, 2 Beheringer EP2500's , Belkin PF60, HDMI Set Top Box, PS3/XboxOne
1 Yamaha NS-C444
2 Yamaha NS-777
4 Yamaha NS-333
4 Power Acoustik Mofo 15's (1.6 cubes sealed and stuffed)
post #4 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM
DGF

Liked: 39
At the risk of having to turn in my Man Card - a small space under a static piece of furniture is a PITA for dust and pretty hard/impossibe to vacuum.

I think NeuroRad's suggestion is a good one - you'll have a visually integrated piece, but the subs will be physically decoupled from your electronics.

Do you have room for an infinite baffle? smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'd have concerns about rattling noise, with the built in subs. I guess it wouldn't be great for the electronics either.

If you want to spend big bucks, you can hire a speaker company for built in subs, to your design. They may help with cabinet design. Bay Audio and California Audio Technologies, I've read, are the go-to guys for high end custom speakers.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

You could cut out the bottom of the cabinet so the sub sits on the floor.

+2.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page