circuit finder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This question is slightly off topic, but this was the closest section I could think of:

I have a room which is functioning as my server room, it has 16 Outlets going to 9 Breakers - problem is the outlets aren't labeled to what breaker they go to and we have had issues in which we have overloaded a circuit. So I have spread them out so that no two items are grabbing from the same wall and this has helped - but it means I have some extension cords and such going.

Ultimately what I need to do is identify which circuit goes to which outlet, preferably without killing the circuit and testing each outlet that way.

I attempted to use a 'Circuit Tracker' (specifically This Gardner GET-1200) however there is too much cross talk between the cables in that when I go to the circuit breaker nearly all of them are at the 'max' setting on the unit.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? The circuit tracker I mentioned above is something I borrowed from our Maintenance team - if there is another one we can purchase which will do a better job please let me know (preferably something under $100 as this would be a one time use).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by talion83 View Post

...there is too much cross talk between the cables...
Crosstalk is not your problem. You have a direct connection between all the circuits at the panel. Bite the bullet. Schedule some down time, bring the systems down, then switch the breakers off one at a time, and identify which receptacles are on which circuit.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I was afraid that was going to be the response. I will see about scheduling some downtime as chances are I will take something offline while doing this.

Thank you for the help.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 283
From their FAQ:
Quote:
I have a Circuit Tracker, part # GET-1200 and at times it seems to read more than one circuit. What am I doing wrong?
This device is very sensitive. It is very important that you hold the wand parallel to the breaker as it states on the package. If more than one breaker still seems to be reading positive, slowly slide the wand away from each of breakers that are showing positive readings. The signal will stay stronger at the actual breaker that is tied to the transmitter.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Olyteddy;
I tried that as best I could and I was able to narrow it down. One *seemed* a bit louder than the others, but several had the same strength on the meter. And this isn't a case were close enough is good enough.