Component cable length - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do three component cables have to be the exact same length? I want to use two 25' RG6 cables with F connectors already attached and one 30' RG6 with F connectors attached. I'll then use F to RCA adaptors on the ends. Will this work? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 PM

Liked: 32
In theory yes. You will only know if it fails, once you hook everything up.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Assuming all three cables are exactly the same manufacture, the signal will take longer to go through the 30' cable. Assuming a Velocity of Propagation of 82 (typical for RG6) the delay per foot is 1.24176461705966e-9. Will a less than10 nanosecond delay be enough to be visible? Probably not. FWIW for about $10 you can get a proper Component cable from Monoprice.

edited to reflect correct VOP for RG-6.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Monoprice has great prices but, are they 100% copper or copper plated steel? Everything I read on AVS cautioned to use 100% copper cable for component use.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

The propagation delay, as olyteddy states, works out to about 1.25 ns per foot. There's a broadcast-quality standard for this sort of thing, which I cannot recall, but I'm sure that it's more tolerant than the 6 ns involved here. Bear in mind that this assumes all cables have the same dielectric; if they don't, the propagation delay will be smaller, or larger, as the case may be.

On the CCS versus solid copper issue: it may matter whether your cables are all of the same composition, because a CCS cable is going to exhibit a bit higher attenuation and you don't want attenuation to be significantly different on different runs. Most CATV coax is CCS--you can usually tell just by examining the end.

I don't know the Monoprice products but it's pretty unusual even for Chinese component video cables to be CCS. Ours are all solid copper.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
http://www.bluejeanscable.com