Low Profile TV's & Recessed AC Boxes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone attempted carving up a Power Plug on a low profile TV? I just installed a Samsung PN64D7000 set and used a low profile wall mount. Used a Leviton recessed 110 outlet and you can't get a square peg in a round hole?
Any comments on why manufacturers would create this kind of issue?
I've attached sample pics of what we have to deal with. I believe the client would go balistic if we started carving up a round power plug permanantly attached to the TV? Samsung TV Power Cord.jpg 4k .jpg file Recessed AC Outlet.png 16k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samsung TV Power Cord.jpg (4.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: png Recessed AC Outlet.png (15.8 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Seems pretty obvious that it is not intended for use with a recessed receptacle, but rather to minimize the amount it sticks out from a flush receptacle. The latter would be more useful to most folks. If you are doing custom installation, it is time to customize. And who knows, perhaps the manufacturer offers the kind of line cord you need as an option.

FWIW I would not try "carving up" the existing plug. I would replace it with an more appropriate one for the situation.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 18
post #4 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
A 6" extension cord is a good work-around, if you don't want to change out the recessed box to a double or triple gang.

The double gang recessed outlet is often combination LV/line voltage, one side for power and the other side for your LAN category cable connection and coax.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

This is another option, if your small cable box (mounted behind TV) and surround bar also need power.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I used a 4-gang combination LV/line voltage box from Arlington for my last TV. Divider can be moved.

I should have used this one, with the open back for the LV side:

The back plates on the right are 'knocked out' for use.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I thought I had it covered with one of these, but there was 5/8" drywall & 3/4" plywood backing for the TV mount above fireplace mantle.
back box 72k .jpg file
I would just think it's a whole lot easier fo a major manufacturer of low profile TV's to use a standard AC plug?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM-RBX-WH-A.jpg (72.0 KB, 26 views)
post #8 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

That last 4-gang combo Arlington box I pictured above can be mounted to 4" thick drywall - before installation, the cover plate is attached to the box. The cover plate is then fastened to the drywall with screws (4 corner holes in cover plate). The "wings" aren't required.

At least I'm pretty sure, that's what I remember from research; didn't use that one, but should have.

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page