Hidden Television / Two way mirror - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am assuming that what I see on the DIY channel lately to make a "hidden television" in a mirror is just a two way mirror. Is that right. I am planning to make the screen into the master dresser mirror. Can anyone tell me.:
1. If indeed a two way mirror is what they use for this?
2. How it effects the actual viewing, both plasma and led considered?
3. Shortcommings - heat issues, etc.. Does it work better in Dark room ( I do suspect)?
4. Specifics to install. Does there need to be small space, flush, etc?
5. What about going to the trouble to disassemble the TV (Plasma example). My LG 60" plasma states "Protective Skin Glass". Can I remove that and replace with two way mirror? Would this make the best picture with this application?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 AM

Liked: 11
One way mirror......Sell em online...Sears etc,,,Plasma would prob work better for Hiding and angle viewing and Brighter...

LCD with LED Backlighting will be bright but a High dollar unit in order to have a good angle view,,,

http://www.hiddentelevision.com/
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I was watching a DIY BathCrashers I think and they stated that the hidden Television mirror did not come in time, and that they used some sort of relfective film or "tint" on top of glass to simulate the product. But I gathered that what they used was pennies compared to the hidden television mirrors costing thousands. Does anyone know exactly what reflective film they may have been using. I am guessing it was just a mirrored window tint? I did note they played down the presentation of the TV at the end of the show, as it was noticeably not as good. But it seemed decent so I might like to try...
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc3 View Post

I was watching a DIY BathCrashers I think and they stated that the hidden Television mirror did not come in time, and that they used some sort of relfective film or "tint" on top of glass to simulate the product. But I gathered that what they used was pennies compared to the hidden television mirrors costing thousands. Does anyone know exactly what reflective film they may have been using. I am guessing it was just a mirrored window tint? I did note they played down the presentation of the TV at the end of the show, as it was noticeably not as good. But it seemed decent so I might like to try...

Take a Guess on just the Glass/Mirror cost....LOL....

to do a 42 inch or smaller, just the mirror is almost $1700.00.....LOL...ain't that some SH*T???...lol
post #5 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCodyJeepster View Post

Take a Guess on just the Glass/Mirror cost....LOL....

to do a 42 inch or smaller, just the mirror is almost $1700.00.....LOL...ain't that some SH*T???...lol
Where have you been shopping? http://www.reflectionproducts.com/transparent-mirror.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
The coating is a dichroic mirror (filters light at an atomic level).

It's an optical cavity, a resonant bandpass filter....nothing atomic about it.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM

Liked: 10
This user "Electric Design" , is actually the owner of the company Hidden Television. I kid you not.Lmao. His name is James Baker. If you dont believe me then google him. He also has a fake facebook account under the name Aiden Alexander, which the profile picture is the same as his profile picture on here. Hes on here trying to fool you guys into thinking you cant make your own Hidden Television because he would then lose business. Nice try Mr.JAMES BAKER, OWNER OF HIDDEN TELEVISON IN TOLEDO , OHIO. He even re names his glass so that if u google it, you wont find it. Its just two way
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a Back Bar glass that I would like to mount a TV in, so would it be so simple to build a frame to house/hold the TV against the mirror and basically replace the mirror with a piece of acrylic as noted in the link provided above?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
BamaDave, did you try it. I have this planned for my backbar as well. I was debating just buying the glass and applying the mirror reflection window tint from Home Depot, but I want to find someone who has tried this with success or failure already to get some lessons learned.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page