4 Speakers 1 Volume Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I want to connect 4 speakers to a single volumen control but have not found a control that does that. I know the impeddance switch can handle 4 speakers, but anyone know if i would be affecting sound quality if i just "join" the speaker wires to make the connections as if they were two speakers? Do I have another choice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You won't compromise sound quality, but you need to be aware of the load you are presenting to the amp - most amps like to see between 4 to 8 ohms per channel. There are lots of options for volume controllers that handle two pairs of speakers - many of these have jumpers to allow the appropriate loading to be dialled in, but given your post, it sounds like you've already got one.

Depending on how you were intending to wire the speakers together, you should be able to present the amp with an acceptable loading. For example, wiring a pair of 8 ohm speakers in parallel gives a total restistance of 4 ohms - but you wouldn't want to put the two in series as this would create a 16 ohm loading, which is getting outside of what an amp typically likes to see.

Check the specs of your amp, switch and speakers to determine where you need to get to - I can certainly try to help if you want to post more info.

Dave
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Assuming all 4 are the same type: wire two speakers in parallel, wire the other two in parallel and wire the two sets in series -or- wire two speakers in series, wire the other two in series and wire the two sets in parallel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM
DGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Assuming all 4 are the same type: wire two speakers in parallel, wire the other two in parallel and wire the two sets in series -or- wire two speakers in series, wire the other two in series and wire the two sets in parallel.

Good advice. Both configs will give the equivalent of an 8 ohm loading which should be easily handled by a single channel.

I did wonder if this was a two channel setup though, in which case, if the amp is okay driving a 4 ohm load, use each channel to drive a pair of speakers wired in parallel. ........lots of options!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all, very helpfull! For now it's a one channel amp, and I'll be having 2 more volume controls each with a pair of speakers. In total they will be 4 pairs of speakers. I'm aware this might not be a lot of power per speaker, but I want to try it this way first, and if I need more volume I'll consider another amp.

I was planning on conneccting all in parallel, and using the jumper settings of the volume controls to match the impedance of 8 ohms for the 4 pairs. I'm thinking of buying AudioSource AE100VC for volume control, its affordable and has good reviews in Amazon. It handles 2 speaker inputs (L, R) and 2 outputs (here's were I need to split to make 4 outputs for the 4 speakers). Obviously I will also need a speaker hub to split the singe channel to habdle all the speakers.

Olyteddy, if one output is connected in parallel and the other in series I belive I'll end up with a 16 ohm connection and a 4 ohm on each output. If they are on the same room, won't that sound a little awkward? I could always have two 4 ohm pairs and match it with the volume control.

Too much information!! wink.gif I hope I was clear with it!
post #6 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thread revival...

I am wanting to do the same thing as the OP. I have an older Onkyo TX-SR 600 that has "A" and "B" speakers on the front channels. I hope to use the "B" speaker outputs to power 2 sets (4 total) of 8-ohm outdoor speakers along my back patio/pool. I hope to run wires from the receiver to a single Niles impedance magnifying volume control and then split the signal to all four speakers.

What is going to be the best method of doing this or is it not advisable? Would it be as olyteddy described? I would hate to use two volume controls to control speakers that will always be playing the same source.

Receiver manual - http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-SR700_SR600_E.pdf

Volume control - http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=WVC100&recordID=Weatherproof Volume Controls&categoryID=Volume Controls&catcdID=6&prdcdID=FG00966
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 PM
DGF

Def a blast from the past!

What you're looking to do is very achievable with the kit you have. Your receiver needs to see >=6ohms, so set the Niles to deliver 8ohms to the Onkyo, then wire a pair of speakers in parallel for each of the two channels (it is a stereo pair out of the Onkyo, right?) - this will be equivalent to a pair of 4ohms loads that the Niles will "magnify" up to 8ohms.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

Def a blast from the past!

What you're looking to do is very achievable with the kit you have. Your receiver needs to see >=6ohms, so set the Niles to deliver 8ohms to the Onkyo, then wire a pair of speakers in parallel for each of the two channels (it is a stereo pair out of the Onkyo, right?) - this will be equivalent to a pair of 4ohms loads that the Niles will "magnify" up to 8ohms.

Just so I understand this correctly...if I have two 8-ohm speakers wired in parallel, that would be eqivalent to a 4-ohm load. With the equivalent of a pair of 4-ohm speakers (less impedance), I need to utilize the volume control (set to 2X) in order to half the power (less power=greater load?) going to the speakers which makes it the same as an 8-ohm load??

Electrical circuits were never my strong suit, but I do like to understand the theory and process.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 PM
DGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknutt View Post

Just so I understand this correctly...if I have two 8-ohm speakers wired in parallel, that would be eqivalent to a 4-ohm load. With the equivalent of a pair of 4-ohm speakers (less impedance), I need to utilize the volume control (set to 2X) in order to half the power (less power=greater load?) going to the speakers which makes it the same as an 8-ohm load??

Electrical circuits were never my strong suit, but I do like to understand the theory and process.

Not sure about the "less power=greater load" statement smile.gif, but you're on track: like you say, two 8-ohm speakers in parallel is equivalent to a single 4-ohm load (1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 +.... ). Your Niles "impedance magnifier" can step this up to look like an 8-ohm load to the Onkyo (a quick read of the manual indicates that anything between 6 & 16 ohms is an acceptable loading). Wire a 'paralleled' pair of speakers on each of the two 'B' speaker terminals and you should be all set - just start off with a low amplifier volume and slowly crank things up: you'll soon know if all is good!

It looks like the Niles is designed for a single pair of speaker wires up to 14-guage (?) - so depending on the gauge, you may have to combine the individual cables from each parallel pair of speakers just in front of the Niles' terminal strip and then drop back to a smaller overall diameter, in order to accommodate the pair of incoming cables. But electrically I really don't see any issues to doing what you want to do.

Dave.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page