Using a splitter for tv/internet hookup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm not usually a fan of joining a forum just to ask for help but I got referred here at a different message board I post at by someone who thought one of you guys could help. I'm a college student trying to get my Slingbox hooked up at my dads because his internet connection is faster than where my Slingbox is now. The only issue is he only has one cable outlet from the wall at his place and he currently has 2 tvs and internet hooked up using 2 two-way splitters. So I got a box from Comcast and a 4-way splitter from Radio Shack (but am only using 3 ways) and it isn't working well enough to keep it this way. What are my options here? I guess I'd like to go with a 3 way splitter and a 2 way splitter just for more overall ease setting everything up but I guess I'd have to consider all alternatives. I figure certain splitters are better than others and that a 3 way would probably work better than the 4 way one I had anyway. The one I have bought from Radio Shack was 5 MHz-3GHz. Any help or advice would be awesome.

Edit: Also, apologies if this isn't really in the right forum. I couldn't figure out which one to post it in, but this seemed most relevant to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

It could be a signal issue. A 4-way splitter loses ~7dB through each leg, whereas a balanced 3-way loses ~5.5through each leg, while an unbalanced 3-way loses 3.5 on one leg and 7 on the other two. Placing the Slingbox on the hot leg of an unbalanced 3-way splitter will increase the signal level by ~3.5dB.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page