mounting 75lb plasma tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to mount my 75lb plasma tv on the wall. It's above the fire place and there are no studs. I've drilled a hole to take a look. There is 1/2 inch drywall followed by 1/4 inch plywood. 1 and 1/4 inches further there is concrete (therefore a 1 and 1/4 inch gap between the plywood and drywall). I can fit 3/16 toggle bolts in that gap, but would that hold?? I want to do this properly, but of course the easiest way too. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

also want to tilt it. should have mentioned that.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No studs at all? What's the plywood secured to? That 1.25" gap between the plywood and concrete block makes it sound like there are some 2x4 or 1x3's attached horizontally. Can you get a wire coat-hanger into your small hole and probe around with that?

If you want to do it very securely, I would recommend cutting out a square of drywall and plywood behind the TV area, attaching wood to the concrete blocks with tapcons, and then putting the cut-out pieces back in place and attaching the TV mount to that. Or you could replace the area you cut out with plywood and then paint that the same color as the wall.

On the other hand, 1/4" is pretty thin for plywood but if you are using multiple bolts, the wall is firm otherwise, and you are only using a tilt mount (not a cantilever mount where the TV is on a swing arm), I don't think you'll have an issue.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

you are right. with more probing (using wire) and a lot of small screw holes (ha!) i have determined that there are thicker sections of wood 6 inches apart horizontally. So I will just move the mount so that i am screwing directly into the wood.
That seemed pretty simple. thanks for the quick response.
Cheers.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page