Samsung SA700 3d vision problem - Solved(partially). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edit: I have been able to understand the edid blocks. I also was able to understand custom resolutions and timings with the help of the site I found through Google: Working_with_Modelines
However I still could not understand the purpose of the sync width and the front and back porch on LCDs.

Coming back to the s23a700 3d vision problem of switching eyes, I found out that for default 120hz refresh rate the time between two eye swapping is always nearly 27 seconds. But changing the refresh rate or resolution of 3d vision by adding custom resolutions/refresh rates, this time changes and is always is periodic. Eye swapping varies from several times per second to once in several seconds,(about few minutes for 720p), depending on the setting. Also when frame sequential 3d is not switched on in the monitor, there is movement in the 3d image on the screen(the left and right eye image alternatively becomes bright and dim few times per second pereodically).

I had tried to edit the pixel clock in EDID Detailed Timing Descriptor by minor values but it seems that nvidia
(or windows?) does not allow such minor changes to the refresh rates and only accepts minimum 1hz refresh rate steps.(please correct me if i am wrong).

Two things I noticed:

1) The pixel clock rate in EDID states 285.50Mhz but in nvidia custom resolution it states 285.5424 for 120hz 1080p default ( I tried changing it to 285.54 in the EDID but I don't think it worked) .Also setting refresh rate to 119.999hz in Nvidia's custom resolutions displayed the pixel clock at 285.5000Mhz, but it seems it reverted to 120hz on saving. (This should probably not be the problem as EDID setting is 285.5Mhz for the rest of the displays too.)

2)When viewing the desktop at 120hz 1080p(in 2d mode) the horizontal frequency shown on the monitor's info menu is 137.3Khz, but when 3d vision is switched on(3d mode), the horizontal frequency is shown as 137.9Khz for 1080p. There is always a difference in these values depending on the resolution and refresh rate.

Thanks for reading the above problems, please provide suggestions on what might be done to fix the eye swapping problem. Also if anyone knows how to set detailed timing for 3d vision please mention.

(Old name of thread:EDID Edit Help)

I am trying to override the edid of my monitor with an inf. I have found out that installing an hdmi edid override inf on a dvi-d connection is giving me hdmi features over the dvi connection. Looking at wikipedia for decoding the edid blocks, I have been confused. I could understand the header but the important part is confusing.

My idea is to try to run 120hz 1920x1080 on the monitor while showing the connection as hdmi(Is it possible? The connection is capable.). (I am trying to get 120hz full HD 3D using 3dtv play). Unfortunately for non-3dvision monitors, there is no way to get full hd 3d 120hz with a nvidia gpu. The problem is that I have a Samsung s23a700d which has an uncommon problem with 3dvision where the left and right eyes keep alternating pereodically regardless of the driver version. The 3dtv play uses the default 3d features of the display instead of the emitter.

Now that I have described my target, I would like to know how to edit the edid to describe the connection as hdmi and specify extra 3d modes (60hz 1920x1080 per eye).

Please Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

I learned a little about frame packing and found out about overriding the resolution to 3d mode without edid override. Using NVIDIA Control Panel's custom resolution tool, I was able to set the DVI-D output to 720p60 3D and 1080p24 3D successfully. But I was unable to find any combination of settings to get 1080p60. I tried to modify the total horizontal pixels to get 285.0000Mhz, 285.5424 Mhz and a few higher random pixel clocks but all I achieved was 960x1080 60hz 3D(checked from monitor's info menu, also image was very low res). Hence, I don't think it is possible to get 60hz 1080p 3D on a monitor that does not support it through HDMI by default. The EDID edit probably wouldn't work either.
Still if someone is successful, please report.

Also if any one knows how to solve the 3d vision problem with samsung sa700 (eyes keep alternating pereodically) please let me know.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I tried the iz3d driver 120hz and shutter modes. This time the refresh rate is 137.3khz but the eyes still alternate at 1080p 120hz. but this time at 22 seconds interval.
I would like to know what vertical refresh rate AMD users are using with this monitor(119.999 or 120hz) and also the horizontal refresh rate reported by the monitor.I would also like to know if everyone has the same problem with nvidia gpu and this display.

Anybody?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM

I would like to help you solve this issue. I have the same monitor and have been trying for months to get this to work with 3D vision (I have the 3D vision 2 kit w/ glasses and emitter, I have broke my original glasses rolleyes.gif). I have been using a Modded EDID Inf. I am also having an issue wtih the eyes swapping. I have been trying to use Nvidia Inspector. I have yet to get rid of the eye swap completely, although; i have been able to get random eye swap times while using differnt combinations of settings using Nvidia inspector and custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel. I'm currently at work and will be able to hopefully go into more detail once im on my rig back at the room.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 AM

I wasn't able to load your link here at work the first time I clicked on it. The web blocker picked it up... after clicking on it a 2nd time it worked SMH rolleyes.gif
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page