Rubber caps on optical cables stuck in receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there, I'm new to this site, and looking for some help. I recently got a Samsung 5.1 suround system and tried to put optical cable from my Samsung to my service providers box. They wouldn't stay in, and after doing some reading, I learned that they have a plastic cover on them. I pulled the optic cable out to find no plastic covers, so I think they are stuck in both units. How can I get them out without damaging either unit? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Sometimes they come with covers, sometimes not.... but I doubt you could put one into the receptacle with it on (I know the first time I had one I tried and at least on that unit no go). I'd look inside with a good flashlight first but if you did manage it then perhaps something from a hook and pick set would work (that's what I'd go grab out of my toolbox at least).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood1962 View Post

.... so I think they are stuck in both units......

I think it would be highly improbable to have this happen twice on two separate jacks.

The tolerances used by cable manufacturers do vary, so maybe you just have a 'sloppy' cable? Optical cables are pretty forgiving in their alignment, so you could consider using something like a small piece of tape or putty to hold each end in place. If you have an alternative cable, I'd definitely try a quick swap to see if you get a better fit.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Are you sure it's "in" yet? IIRC, my optical cable had to be pushed pretty hard. I'm kinda a ham-fisted fellow sometimes, so I'm always scared to push too hard. Sometimes you have to, though eek.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Are you sure it's "in" yet? IIRC, my optical cable had to be pushed pretty hard. I'm kinda a ham-fisted fellow sometimes, so I'm always scared to push too hard. Sometimes you have to, though eek.gif

I've had this too - it feels like you're using far too much force, but all of a sudden the connector pops in......just like magic!
post #6 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Never mind, caps were still on the ends of the cables. I thought they were part of the ends. It took a bit of effort to get them off. I'm not sure how they are supposed to work, but there is a huge delay before they connect to the receiver and send sound.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

You mean once connected you think there's some lag or latency? Or did you plug them in while everything was on and expected them to instantly respond?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #8 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

WHen I turn on the receiver, and set it to the proper setting, it takes about 10 seconds for the sound to come on.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

This did not happen after powering up your receiver with other types of connections? My avr takes several seconds before the sound initiates....never counted how many seconds...

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page