Simple volume control - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two pairs of in-wall speakers (both Polk Audio RC85i), each pair installed in a different room. Both are connected to the same receiver separated by the Speaker A and B switch. I need some advice as to the best way to have separate volume control for one of the pairs. My concern is that the pair I do not need the ability to regularly control the volume for (the A speakers) will be played at a rather low volume setting. But the other pair (the B speakers) I do want the ability to adjust the volume frequently and they will generally be played at a higher volume. Can I get away with a single volume controller for the B Speakers or will I need to have a separate volume controller for both pairs to maintain good quality output? Any advice on the best way to achieve the desired results? FYI - I have a limited knowledge of how all this stuff works so along with advice I could use a little help with the basic concepts of what I'm trying to do here, if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
The problem is you already have one volume control that operates both zones (the AVR). Adding another one in-line means you can only reduce the volume of those speaker from whatever volume level the AVR has been set to. So you can only make those speakers quieter than the ones NOT behind the volume control.

Does your AVR have a zone2 output? An inexpensive amp (AudioSource AMP-100) connected there for the 2nd zone would be a much better option. If not, I'd suggest a cheap stereo receiver (Craigslist!), and just split the sources to both units.

Jeff
artave likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You have confirmed what I suspected. Thanks for the advice on making it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page