AVS Forum banner

Help with soundcard and software

329 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DGF 
#1 ·
Hello I'm new here, but have been lurking for years on the Klipsch website. I've got an idea that I cannot seem to find any technology to get me there and was advised to ask here.

Here's where I'm at, way back in 2003, I purchased my first computer, a Dell 8300, pentium 4, I've since upgraded to 2 G ram, and 500 G hard drive. I spent a ton on this thing, as it was my desire to connect it to my Sunfire TGP II processor and use the computer as a media server.

I discovered that the supplied Soundblaster G Force 5200 card contains simple mini jacks for connecting small computer speakers and thi is the only way to utilize the software to decode the media installed, as the only way to connect the computer was via the green mini plug (front left and right speakers) and tell the computer that I'm only using a 2.1 configuration, then input the signal into the Sunfire to decode the media. That was fine then, but now the Sunfire is so dated, it's cumbersome to use effectively. No HDMI, no 7.1, etc. not to mention the processing is about ten generations behind the times.

Sunfire no longer even makes a processor any more, other makers that utilize XLR outs, are really expensive, and in a short time, I'll be right back where I am now.

My solution, I want to completely eliminate the need for an expensive processor that will just be obsolete shortly anyway. So what I've figured out is to install a 8 channel DAC converter with XLR outs, right in front of my amp, then find a soundcard that has 8 discrete digital outs, and software that will decode the media digitally instead of after the soundcard converts it to analog. I know it can be done, because I've already found a Lynx AE16 card that has up to 32 discrete digital out put channels, and a Lynx 8 or 16 channel DAC converter, the nice thing about the 16 channel version is it contains trim settings to prevent the computer from sending full power to the amp inadvertently.

My problem is, finding software that will be compatible for the intended application.

Does anyone make a software package that does what I want?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.