Fishing cable for home theater - Am I forgetting some?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I am planning on making my own little home theater. I am planning on repainting the whole room so I figured I may as well pass my cables through the wall. Here is a list of my equipment and the cables I wanted to pass. Please let me know if I'm forgetting something or if I should change anything.

Equipment:

-120'' projector Screen (pull down)

- Energytake 5.1 Speakers : http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/energy-take-classic-5/4505-7868_7-33310963.html

- Denon 1912 Receiver: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-1912/4505-6466_7-34647681.html

- BenQ W1070 Projector: http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-projectors/benq-w1070/4505-7858_7-35614137.html

- Home built Media Server for XBMC

- Playstation 3

Wiring I am expecting to fish:

- 5 x CAT6 = 1 for Media Server, 1 for Playstation, 1 For Denon Receiver and 2 spares. The router will be in an electrical room near by.

- 5 x speaker wire

- 1 x HDMI = From Denon Receiver to the projector on the ceiling. The Media Server, playstation and receiver will be stacked so I won't need to fish those.

- 1 x Power extension = This is for the Projector on the ceiling. I'm not smart enough to install a plug right by the projector, unfortunately.

I think that's about it. Am I missing anything??

Thanks,
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by plangevin View Post

- 1 x HDMI = From Denon Receiver to the projector on the ceiling. The Media Server, playstation and receiver will be stacked so I won't need to fish those.

While you're there, you should run at least one, three would be better, cat5e cables to your projector as well. Many projectors have Ethernet for control, and the cat5e can also be used for IR repeating and as a backup for the HDMI cable in case the "next" HDMI standard or whatever comes after it makes the HDMI cable obsolete - there will likely be a balun solution using cat5e...
Quote:
- 1 x Power extension = This is for the Projector on the ceiling. I'm not smart enough to install a plug right by the projector, unfortunately.

What do you mean by this? You're not going to run an extension cord in the wall, are you? That's against code and is really not a good idea. A PowerBridge is the correct method to do this, and is easy to install.

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html

There are a number of competing products like this, too - for projector mounts I like the PowerBridge, though...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

While you're there, you should run at least one, three would be better, cat5e cables to your projector as well. Many projectors have Ethernet for control, and the cat5e can also be used for IR repeating and as a backup for the HDMI cable in case the "next" HDMI standard or whatever comes after it makes the HDMI cable obsolete - there will likely be a balun solution using cat5e...
What do you mean by this? You're not going to run an extension cord in the wall, are you? That's against code and is really not a good idea. A PowerBridge is the correct method to do this, and is easy to install.

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html

There are a number of competing products like this, too - for projector mounts I like the PowerBridge, though...

Jeff

Thanks for the quick response!

OK, I'll add some cat6 wire (doesn't have to be cat5e does it) because I'm buying bulk. As for the PowerBridge, I had no idea that existed! That will definitely be the way to go then.

I appreciate the tips!

Cheers,
Pat
post #4 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by plangevin View Post

OK, I'll add some cat6 wire (doesn't have to be cat5e does it) because I'm buying bulk.

Yep, cat6 is better...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page