Yamaha Receiver RX-V673 is not playing sound from Samsung 6300 smart tv (via arc) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
we bought the samsung 6300 series smart tv. we also bought the yamaha av receiver rx-v673 and klipsch speakers. our receiver will play the blu ray movies and will play the radio, but we cannot get the tv and the receiver to "talk" and play tv sound using an hdmi (arc). please help. we've looked through everything and tried everything. we do not want to use the optical cable because we should be able to use the arc!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Without looking at your manuals, but having gone thru this, first make sure you're using the specific hdmi port (believe number 2) on your tv. Then enable the HDMI-CEC control (in both your tv and avr); each brand calls HDMI-CEC some branded name like Samsung with Anynet, don't know what Yamaha calls theirs.

post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

thank you....we have it in the correct port hdmi 2 (arc).....i think that's where we're having problems----enabling the hdmi cec control....we did enable the anynet on our samsung......and to no avail....
post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikamae1 View Post

thank you....we have it in the correct port hdmi 2 (arc).....i think that's where we're having problems----enabling the hdmi cec control....we did enable the anynet on our samsung......and to no avail....

So what about on your avr? I googled it and looks like you have something simply called HDMI Control and possibly a separate yes/no designation for ARC. Did you RTM for the avr? cool.gif

post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Did you get this to work ?

I have found that it works with one glitch. I have Bell Box connected to hdmi 1 on receiver, receiver out to hdmi 2 on tv.

When I turn the tv on it turns on the receiver, and put on hdmi 1, a few seconds later it switches to AV4 . If I click select on tv remote to enlarge the tv screen the receiver stays on AV4, which doesn't have any audio. If I go to smart hub and open youtube the audio works on AV4. Then if I go back to tv on smart hub and click on it the audio switches back to HDMI 1 and I have audio.

I can't figure out how to make it switch to hdmi1 without opening one of the apps in smart hub before going to the TV

post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 PM

I have the same problem. I just bought a Samsung 6300 LED and have a RX-V573. I have new high speed HDMI cables and have it correctly connected using ARC. It works when I watch stuff via Netflix directly from the TV so i know the sound travels from the TV as the source back into the receiver.

Every time I turn on the TV it starts off on the HDMI setting then switches to an AV setting for sound input after about three seconds.  If I switch back to HDMI as the input it stays there and works fine.  Help!

Thanks,

post #7 of 8 Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWideJK View Post

Did you get this to work ?

I have found that it works with one glitch. I have Bell Box connected to hdmi 1 on receiver, receiver out to hdmi 2 on tv.

When I turn the tv on it turns on the receiver, and put on hdmi 1, a few seconds later it switches to AV4 . If I click select on tv remote to enlarge the tv screen the receiver stays on AV4, which doesn't have any audio. If I go to smart hub and open youtube the audio works on AV4. Then if I go back to tv on smart hub and click on it the audio switches back to HDMI 1 and I have audio.

I can't figure out how to make it switch to hdmi1 without opening one of the apps in smart hub before going to the TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilen View Post

I have the same problem. I just bought a Samsung 6300 LED and have a RX-V573. I have new high speed HDMI cables and have it correctly connected using ARC. It works when I watch stuff via Netflix directly from the TV so i know the sound travels from the TV as the source back into the receiver.

Every time I turn on the TV it starts off on the HDMI setting then switches to an AV setting for sound input after about three seconds.  If I switch back to HDMI as the input it stays there and works fine.  Help!

Thanks,

Welcome to the world of HDMI-CEC of different brands fighting for control! Precisely why I gave up on ARC (Samsung tv, Onkyo avr and when using a universal remote the "tv" input would always be selected on the avr even when programmed for the sat/cable input when powering up, very annoying). Besides, with my tv set ARC is limited to two channel, except for OTA content which I don't have any use for. I just turned off HDMI-CEC in both units and use the AVR for all input with only a video output to the tv, I don't use the tv's audio for anything and if I did I'd just hook up an optical cable to the avr for that. Certainly they could do better by agreeing on same protocols but HDMI-CEC hasn't been implemented that way among various brands. Probably the fault of some genius in marketing....

post #8 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikamae1 View Post

we bought the samsung 6300 series smart tv. we also bought the yamaha av receiver rx-v673 and klipsch speakers. our receiver will play the blu ray movies and will play the radio, but we cannot get the tv and the receiver to "talk" and play tv sound using an hdmi (arc). please help. we've looked through everything and tried everything. we do not want to use the optical cable because we should be able to use the arc!

After quite a bit of faff, here's how I did this with my 6500 series TV:

1. Connect an HDMI cable between the receiver's HDMI Out and the HDMI input on the TV labelled with ARC (for me it was HDMI2)

2. Switch the TV to HDMI2 (or whichever one you chose for ARC)

3. Select On Screen on the receiver remote, choose Setup, HDMI and then HDMI Control. Make sure it's "On".

4. Switch the receiver input to AV4

5. Switch the TV back to TV and go to System → Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) and enable it

6. Turn the receiver off, then the TV off

7. Turn the receiver on, then the TV on

For me it just worked at this point. The trick for me was that the receiver needs to be using AV4 as its input. Clear as mud, eh?

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page