Cabinet Cooling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a new house that has a fairly nice man cave already set up. One wall has built in cabinets and a open section to place my flat screen. The only issue I have is I'd like to place my xbox, wii, receiver, htpc, etc in the cabinets below the TV. I'd also like to keep the doors closed. I was thinking about cutting a couple holes in the bottom of the TV cabinet (top of the AV cabinet) and placing a couple of small quiet PC fans. The only problem is I won't have any intake holes. I got to thinking it might look kind of cool to take to cut rectangles out of the cabinet doors and then replace the void with foam, velvet, cloth, etc to allow for intake. I was trying to find threads about this, but didn't know what to search for. Does anyone have any advice on converting solid cabinet doors to foam inserts and also do you know if IR will shoot through foam/cloth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
You may not need intake holes. Unless the cabinet doors are really tight you can probably just let the gap around the doors serve as your intake. If they are really tight then a couple of rubber bumpers to hold the door open 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch should do the trick, and keep your doors from banging loudly when closing too. When you take the area of a small gap all around a door and add it up it amounts to a pretty good sized opening for air intake.

I setup something almost identical to this several years ago. I didn't need any intake vents. I used a couple of 80mm variable speed computer case fans and a basic household non-programable thermostat in the cabinet. I powered the fans with a 12v wall wart and the whole setup worked great. The fans came on when it was hot, and shut down when it was cool.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What do the cabinets back up to? Any chance for rear exhaust? Long ago did a set of doors with cane (wicker) - not for every taste.