Wiring for Sattelite service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I hope this is the right forum.

When I first bought my house, wiring for cable, sattelite, telephone, and ethernet was done incorrectly.

With all four of those, what they did is drilled holes through the carpet and subfloor and then ran the wiring in the crawl space.

Now that mortgage is paid off I am remodeling and doing things correctly. I am tearing up the carpet (I hate carpeting) and putting in laminate, etc. and putting Leviton QuickPort jacks in the wall for coax/ethernet/phone.

This new wiring all congregates at my entertainment cabinet at the center of the house. Bottom shelf I will be installing a Leviton amplified splitter for cable, Leviton 3x4 Satelite Coaxial multiswitch, and probably a Leviton Bridged Telephone Module for phone service (power goes out often enough I don't want to rely upon VOIP and cell phone, I have a bad habit of not charging it until it dies)

I presently do not have sattelite service but I want things done so that if I ever choose to, the installer does not have to run any lines inside the house or do any drilling etc. other than to install the dish itself. Installers often are young and sometimes put speed of install over quality resulting in messes like when I moved in, drilling holes in the floor etc.

My understanding is that for Sattelite to be able to use more than one receiver, there have to be two runs of coaxial cable to the dish. I know where they previously installed the dish and my plan is to run two lines from the entertainment center to that point using the highest quality coax I can find (recommondations ??) so that the installer just has to mount the dish and run small run on outside of house to my pre-installed lines.

That I can do. My question is what else a sattelite install is going to need? Is it going to need access to power?

Looking at the outside of the house where the previous owners had satelite, there's remnants of a wire with green sheath, I assume that was a ground wire but I would have to crawl under the house and follow it to determine what is was.

Is there any wiring to the dish in addition to two coaxial cables that I will need to make the house sattelite ready?

-=-

The plan is, if I ever opt for sattelite service, if it is just to be one or two receivers I can disconnect the corresponding cable from the aplified splitter and attach it to the incoming sattelite via a coupler but if I want 3 or 4 sattelite receivers, then feed the multiswitch and attach the corresponding room coaxials to that. I don't want the installer to have to do anything except attach the dish and connect to the coax I will pre-wire for it.

Thanks for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
The wiring for sat systems has been greatly simplified with newer designs. DirecTV now places more electronics at the dish, and requires only a single coax from the dish. From there, simple splitters [but with some specific design requirements, such as DC passing on one leg] are used to distribute throughout the house, just like CATV. There's a power injector that needs to be placed somewhere in the chain, but that's an in-line coax device and is most easily placed in your wiring center.

Dish Network may require two coax lines to the dish, but regardless, those runs are something the installer would do for free as part of any installation. If you ensure there's either enough wiring in place, or provide them a path with little work required, they'll use it...

Do not purchase any sat switching gear or modules, as they are either already obsolete or are likely to be by the time you install sat service. Again, that gear would all be provided as part of any installation - don't waste money on it.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 10-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
An installer's youth would have nothing to do with them drilling through your floor. Most cable/satellite installers get paid by the job & wall fishing takes too long, plus many cable/sat companies don't allow the regular techs to fish walls.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page