Using RCA instead of Banana Plugs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Using RCA instead of Banana Plugs

I am building a built-in 5.1 surround and I purchased a recessed panel that fits Power outlet and 1 more plate insert of my choice. I want to find a more compact banana plug alternative
I am thinking to buy ONE 6 RCA wall plate and use 5 RCA's to connect to my speakers and 1 RCA that will run to my sub(+1 Sub wall plate).
I don't really want to go with 2 plates of Bananas (5 speakers- 10 connectors! + sub) - it is larger than I want and I would have to replace my recessed panel.
This is the panel example: http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Component...qid=1402948566

I am not a sound pro and decided to check if there are any complications with RCA connectors (that bananas don't have)

IMHO connector is a connector and it should not make any difference (besides the look and maybe audio 'standards')

please advise.

Last edited by rayzak; 06-17-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you planning on using normal speaker cable attached to these RCA plugs, or the single conductor + shield normally using with RCA plugs?

I don't think you can connect speaker wire (14 or 16 ga) to an RCA plug. It's designed for much smaller wire sizes.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's designed for UTP (Cat5e/Cat6) cable. You won't be able to get a decent gauge speaker wire into them.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzak View Post
I am building a built-in 5.1 surround and I purchased a recessed panel that fits Power outlet and 1 more plate insert of my choice.
I am thinking to buy ONE 6 RCA wall plate and use 5 RCA's to connect to my speakers and 1 RCA that will run to my sub(+1 Sub wall plate).
I don't really want to go with 2 plates of Bananas (5 speakers- 10 connectors! + sub) - it is larger than I want and I would have to replace my recessed panel.
This is the panel example: http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Component...qid=1402948566

I am not a sound pro and decided to check if there are any complications with RCA connectors (that bananas don't have)

IMHO connector is a connector and it should not make any difference (besides the look and maybe audio 'standards')

please advise.
How do you intend to use 5 RCA connectors for your speakers, when you need both a + and - for each speaker? Your idea will not work. You need a panel like this for 5 speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Banana.../dp/B001HRN2YQ

For 5.1 it's like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I know these aren't what you are looking for, but I don't see a way of using the panel you posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Use a scoop plate instead for all your connections. Since it's recessed and behind equipment anyway, you won't see it, and you'll have better connections - especially on HDMI.

http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-CE1-...ds=scoop+plate

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
1/4" Tip Ring plugs are often used for speakers. They have plenty of room to solder.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Are you planning on using normal speaker cable attached to these RCA plugs, or the single conductor + shield normally using with RCA plugs?

I don't think you can connect speaker wire (14 or 16 ga) to an RCA plug. It's designed for much smaller wire sizes.
Sure you can. We soldered RCA connectors onto 16/2 for subwoofers all the time back in the day. I use RG-59 now though.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page