1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Offenhartz

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In ceiling speakers question

We have just moved into a new house that already has speakers built into the ceiling in 4 different rooms. I would like to get a receiver that will allow these speakers to be utilized. I want them to all play the same sound all at the same time as the speakers have knobs on the wall that can control the volume in each room. There are 4 pairs of speakers located in 4 separate rooms throughout the house for a total of 8 speakers. The wiring for all the speakers comes through all together in a media closet. My question is what do I need to purchase to make this work and how tough would it be for me to set it up myself? Or is this best to have a professional come and install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Get the following items...

http://www.snapav.com/p-1181-ea-amp-8d-70a.aspx (from a dealer) (needs to have something called audio sensing)

Plus a Sonos connect and a bridge.

Nothing will come close to that for the money. You can try and self install it or you could probably do it yourself if you are fairly technical or good with electronics.

Only reason not to buy this is if you don't own a smart device.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 365
You don't need a multichannel amp for what you're trying to accomplish... If there are volume controls in each room, you can use any AV Receiver, or the Sonos Connect:Amp if you want a simple solution that you can expand. You'll want something that has an "app" so that you can select music and control the system remotely.

You need to ensure that the volume controls are "impedance-matching", so that you can safely connect all four pairs to a single amplifier. You can figure this out by removing one from the wall and looking at it (post the brand/model if you want). If there are switches allowing selection of "1X / 2X / 4X" or something like that, you're in business... Since you have four pairs, the impedance match 'protection circuit' must be set to 4X. Then just wire-nut the four wire pairs together into a left/right set.

If the volume controls are NOT impedance-matching, you can accomplish the same thing using a speaker selector (with impedance matching) between your receiver/amp and the four pairs.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbrotzge View Post
Get the following items...

http://www.snapav.com/p-1181-ea-amp-8d-70a.aspx (from a dealer) (needs to have something called audio sensing)

Nothing will come close to that for the money. You can try and self install it or you could probably do it yourself if you are fairly technical or good with electronics.
I effectively built something similar on my own for about 1/3rd the price.

8 year old laptop running four instances of Shairport each configured to talk to a different high-quality USB sound card.

Each sound card connected to a Dayton DTA-120

Each AMP connected through a USB relay so the AMP turns on when something connects to the corresponding Shairport instance.

Total cost (not counting ancient laptop) Around $500.

When I get some free time I'll do a write up on it.
HawaiiR likes this.

Last edited by John Offenhartz; 07-10-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Actually I just found out that the house has On-Q system and the whole house audio system is working using that On-Q system. In our garage the On-Q system box is there and it has cat5 wires connected to all the four rooms and one cat5 cable going out to media closet. In media closet we have cat5 wire for the on-q system (which are connected to all the 4 rooms), bose home theater system wires (including wire for subwoofer) and some banana cable wires (I think which goes to direct tv cable which the previous owners had).

We bought single source connecter for on-q and was able to play the speakers in ceiling. We have 2 problems here.

1. using the bose cables in media closet how to make the home theater speakers work?(bose home theatre)
2. Near the Tv mount area there is no HDMI cable coming out from the wall. There are only 3 banana plug like cables coming out from the wall. We have no way to use HDMI cable from TV area to media close as it is 200 mts away from each other.As I mentioned above in the media closet also there are 3 banana plug cables available. My question is how to make the tv work using the 3 banana cables coming out of the wall behind the tv???
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkara7 View Post
2. Near the Tv mount area there is no HDMI cable coming out from the wall. There are only 3 banana plug like cables coming out from the wall. We have no way to use HDMI cable from TV area to media close as it is 200 mts away from each other.As I mentioned above in the media closet also there are 3 banana plug cables available. My question is how to make the tv work using the 3 banana cables coming out of the wall behind the tv???
Banana plug or RCA connectors? Banana plugs are only (that I've ever seen) used for speakers. But three RCA connectors could be component video. If so, then a TV with component inputs will work, with an HDMI to component converter at the media center.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page