smart tv audio to receiver speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
smart tv audio to receiver speakers

My goal is the same as in this old post, however I have different devices: Internet TV Audio through Receiver

Basically, I want audio from my smart TV apps (like Amazon streaming) to play through the speakers connected to my receiver as seamlessly as possible. I currently have a single HDMI cable connecting my TV and receiver (receiver out, TV in). I have a Samsung LN-46B750U1F and a Denon AVR-2112CI.

Manuals:
http://www.manualowl.com/p/Denon/AVR.../Manual/110876
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...L03-110426.pdf

The post above suggests that with some hardware it's possible to send audio back down the single HDMI cable that normally takes audio and video the other way by setting the TV and receiver appropriately. I don't think my equipment supports that but it's hard to be sure. I'm wondering if anyone with the same or similar setup has succeeded.

If not, my backup plan is to try and thread an optical audio cable behind the wall, which would be viable but a pain in the butt. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If the TV and the receiver both support ARC (audio return channel), then you don't need any other hardware. Supposedly, that is. I have no idea if there's any add-on hardware you can use to "fake" an ARC connection to use just the HDMI cable.

My LG TV and Marantz receiver both have ARC, but it doesn't work because of some really weird engineering decisions in the LG TV. If I'm watching OTA programming on the LG, then ARC works and I get the audio back to the receiver. If I'm watching a "Smart TV" app (like Netflix) on the LG, then the audio is NOT sent to the receiver via ARC. I'm not sure what the LG people were smoking the day they thought that was an acceptable decision. So in my case, I had to connect an optical audio cable from the TV back to the receiver.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If the TV and the receiver both support ARC (audio return channel), then you don't need any other hardware. Supposedly, that is. I have no idea if there's any add-on hardware you can use to "fake" an ARC connection to use just the HDMI cable.

My LG TV and Marantz receiver both have ARC, but it doesn't work because of some really weird engineering decisions in the LG TV. If I'm watching OTA programming on the LG, then ARC works and I get the audio back to the receiver. If I'm watching a "Smart TV" app (like Netflix) on the LG, then the audio is NOT sent to the receiver via ARC. I'm not sure what the LG people were smoking the day they thought that was an acceptable decision. So in my case, I had to connect an optical audio cable from the TV back to the receiver.
Thanks for the info! That was really helpful in looking up more info. Turns out the TV doesn't support it and the receiver does. Apparently one shortcut is to check the specs for the version of HDMI. If it doesn't use HDMI 1.4 or higher then ARC wasn't an option. If it does, then it gets down to whether they enabled it and how. My TV only has 1.3 so there's the answer. Optical cable it is.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Tags
hdmi audio , smart tv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page