New home wiring - media rack location - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-04-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New home wiring - media rack location

I am currently building a new home and now is the time I need to pull wires before they close my walls. I am planning to run 16ga speaker wire, cat6 wire and regular coax for my cable. Unfortunately because our house plans changed at the last second I do not have an ideal location anymore for the media rack. I have two closets under stairwell that are within the air conditioned space but they themselves will not have AC vents. I have a dormer upstairs that is in a future theater room so it is currently not air-conditioned but would be in the future that would be great. Finally I have a perfect spot upstairs in my attic right next to a doorway but obviously that would not be air-conditioned either. I need a little help here on what you guys think the best location would be if any of these. I'm hoping to start pulling these wires today if I can figure this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would probably use one of the under stairwell closets, and add some venting. Like a grate in the door or lower wall to allow air in, and a powered exhaust vent up high. You don't really need an AC vent in the closet if you can pull air in from outside and circulate it. In fact, relying solely on an AC vent is a bad idea, because the closet will overheat in the winter when the AC isn't running.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself