• 1 Post By egnlsn

post #1 of 15 Old 10-05-2016, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 93
RG6 Coxial ?

Are all RG6 equal or are some brands junk and some truly best?

I ask because in a pinch I had to buy one from Home Depot. After connecting it did not work. After loosening, tighting the giggling, yes giggling video returned. Now I take my time to buy a few new RG6's.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-06-2016, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
For the most part, it's all going to work pretty much the same. There's a few difference though that come in to play on long runs or in environments with a lot of EMI (noise).

As far as the center conductor, there are two types. CCS and SC, copper clad stinger and solid core. CCS is the lesser of the two because it is a ferrous metal that is clad with copper on the outside. Solid core is copper all of the way through. This will be more precise over longer distances and when there is power passed over the cable.

As fas as the braid, there's a few different types. There's the standard braid, dual shield, and quad shield. Progressively, each has more material. This will help reduce noise introduced through EMI.

Generally, I use CCS Quad for my everyday cable with no issue. If you have a short run, it's really not going to matter a whole lot, maybe make sure your terminations and splitters or whatever are in good shape. I see you have Direct TV so, technically, you should be using SC Quad.

James Babin - System designer (http://www.myeasytek.com).
Like us on facebook!
post #3 of 15 Old 10-06-2016, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Directv tends to use 6' when 2 1/2' is needed. Every component uses wi-if so that noise? Monoprice uses RG6 (18AWG) 75Ohm, Quad Shield, CL2 Coaxial Cable with F Type Connector. What is your opinion of this type? Thank for your informative reply.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

Last edited by 49Merc; 10-06-2016 at 05:20 AM.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-06-2016, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anything under 50' is generally considered short. Wifi isn't noise, but electrical panels, electric lines with high current are definitely sources of noise. Length is not as important when talking about noise, it could happen in only a 2' section of the run. The spec that you gave from monoprice doesn't include the composition of the center conductor. If not listed, it's probably CCS. The best cable with be SC. Direct TV recommends SC, but most of the time CCS is used and it's fine. When terminating ends, compression is always preferred.
49Merc and egnlsn like this.

James Babin - System designer (http://www.myeasytek.com).
Like us on facebook!
post #5 of 15 Old 10-06-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There are many different RG6 Type coax cables. Different model #s are optimized for different conditions. Some for low frequencies (like analog & digital). Some for very high frequencies (like cable TV), some for fire code, some for underground, some for UV.
The is a very old military spec system. Just about any coax with the correct outer diameter, center conductor and impedance can be an RG6.

Kevin
post #6 of 15 Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
There are many different RG6 Type coax cables. Different model #s are optimized for different conditions. Some for low frequencies (like analog & digital). Some for very high frequencies (like cable TV), some for fire code, some for underground, some for UV.
The is a very old military spec system. Just about any coax with the correct outer diameter, center conductor and impedance can be an RG6.
Kevin, could you please suggest a brand? The more I find the more I get confused.

Thank you,
Louis

post #7 of 15 Old 10-07-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's more about horses for courses.
What are you planning on using the cable for?
analog audio
digital
video
cable TV
TV antenna
outdoors
indoors
in-wall (fire rating)

There are several major bulk cable manufacturers. Names like Belden, Canare and Mogami. And regional companies like Gepco and West Penn.

Kevin
post #8 of 15 Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
It's more about horses for courses.
What are you planning on using the cable for?
analog audio
digital
video
cable TV
TV antenna
outdoors
indoors
in-wall (fire rating)

There are several major bulk cable manufacturers. Names like Belden, Canare and Mogami. And regional companies like Gepco and West Penn.
.Digital
.Video & Audio from Sat/Ant
.DIRECTV Satellite TV along with Antenna TV reception (DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver)
.Indoors
.Out of wall with some under cabinet

Thank you sir

post #9 of 15 Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Are all RG6 equal or are some brands junk and some truly best?

I ask because in a pinch I had to buy one from Home Depot. After connecting it did not work. After loosening, tighting the giggling, yes giggling video returned. Now I take my time to buy a few new RG6's.
Two things come to mind when you describe this:

1) the center conductor is just barely long enough to make contact with the jaws of the mating connector. The center conductor should extend up to 1/8th" (no more) beyond the nut.

2) a piece of braid is touching (or nearly touching) the center conductor. The vibration from jiggling it around moved it so it is no longer making contact.

Glad to see Speedskater call the cable we use "RG6 Type" rather than RG6. The cable we use for CATV and satellite doesn't have the same specs (MIL-C-17) as RG6 cable, not the least of which is a double braid shield (no foil, no tape). Major cable manufacturers have always called it "RG6 Type" or "Series 6" coaxial cable. Same with connector manufacturers. Only recently did Belden drop the "Type."
49Merc likes this.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-08-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Directv tends to use 6' when 2 1/2' is needed. Every component uses wi-if so that noise? Monoprice uses RG6 (18AWG) 75Ohm, Quad Shield, CL2 Coaxial Cable with F Type Connector. What is your opinion of this type? Thank for your informative reply.
Quad-shield cable is necessary only if there's a very high amount of broadcast traffic (such as a large, metropolitan area (think L.A.) or very near transmitting towers). Other than that, in most cases it's just a bunch of hype and a waste of money and time. Because of its construction, it's much stiffer, which puts more pressure on mating connectors, which translates into additional strain on the connectors.

I've always used Series 59 cable for jumpers from the outlet to the STB and/or TV. Smaller, more flexible (which makes it easier to route and hide), and less strain on the mating connectors.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For analog cable systems the FCC required quad core RG6.
RG6 has less loss than RG 59 and RG11 has less loss than RG6. I always use quad core RG11 for outside exposed long runs. Comcast has used cheap RG59 for such runs.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-10-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The FCC has never dictated to cable operators which cable they must use. The only thing they tell cable operators is how much signal they must provide at the groundblock and the outlet (actually, the terminal).

Yes, Series 6 cable has less loss than does Series 59, and Series 11 has even less loss.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-12-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lost track of this thread.

As to horses for courses.

For analog audio, a coax with a heavy braided shield.
Like Belden 1505F or 1695A and Canare LV-77S.

For video or digital audio.
A nice 75 Ohm coax cable like Belden 1694A, 1695A or 1505F.

For cable TV a quad-shield coax with a Copper-Clad-Steel center conductor. The stuff that's on the cable TV truck.
Note there are other quad-shield coax cables.

For satellite TV, I don't think that you can use a Copper-Clad-Steel coax.

Kevin
post #14 of 15 Old 11-04-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I agree on the quad shield with solid core copper. Bought 25' made by Southwire at Home Depot recently.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-02-2017, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought Belden 7915A for my new home construction. Solid copper conductor, really good shielding and rated for satellite. Not as thick as quad shield so a little easier to work with, but more expensive than Monoprice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page