AVS Forum banner

Car front/rear camera switch

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  adam64 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I currently have a media player in my car, and I'm thinking of installing a front camera to avoid scraping on curbs when parking in a lot. My dillema here is that after some reading, I'm not sure exactly how the actual wiring of the switch will be, as I'm also unfamiliar with the internals of an RCA cable. I opened up an extra cable, and saw that there was indeed a shield, with a wire in the middle.

To achieve what I want, can I use a DPDT switch? If my layout is like this on the switch

1 2
3 4
5 6

Would the shield on one cable go on say "1" and the middle wire inside the cable go to "2"?

Aaaaand in case you're wondering why bother with all this work and not buy an RCA switch... I only need the video lines to be switched, not the audio, so I don't need something bulky. The set up I have in mind will also allow me to place the switch in an inconspicuous location, such as the lower dash. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't use a relay for the video wire. It's possible it'll work just fine, but more than likely you're going to pick up a lot of noise when you break the cable geometry (especially in a relay where the coil is magnetic). You're going to want a really small 1x2 switch that accepts a 12V trigger. Automotive suppliers will likely give you a small device that hardwires to IGN and GND. The harder part might be finding something with a built in 12V trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.