1989 Trinitron Composite/RCA Inputs Wearing Down/Loose - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2017, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
1989 Trinitron Composite/RCA Inputs Wearing Down/Loose

Hey All,

I'm wondering if someone has any advice on how to fix my composite video input (there is only one input on this 1989 Sony Trinitron) that is wearing out. The part that is wearing out or more literally wearing down is the part that is actually colored yellow on the video. I tried cleaning it with electronics contact cleaner and a q-tip and the yellow plastic part of the input just went away rather quickly. Now, when I plug in a cable it doesn't sit tight and wiggles quite easily causing a momentary loss of video signal and causing the display to flash "VIDEO" every minute or so in the top right corner.

Anything you recommend to put in there to substitute for the missing yellow plastic so the cable stays plugged in tighter? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-23-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I just looked real quick on Youtube and found a video of a guy putting new RCA's in his old tv

Looks like to do it right you'll need to bust out the soldering tools.

I'm also a little curious about you repairing this nearly 30 year old TV, but that's not the question you were asking . . .
post #3 of 4 Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I figured they could be replaced outright, but isn't there a way I could use a type of glue or putty or something to replace some of the colored plastic part this is wearing away so it is more secure? I'd rather take that route first than try to replace the jacks outright.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If you REALLY want to try to continue to use this...

I would attempt to modify the plug you are inserting. There isn't much you can do for the receptacle other than replace it.

You could try bending the the outside portion of the plug to make it tighter, or perhaps solder a glob onto the tip to make that part thicker. This is assuming you wont be reconnecting it often.

http://utterassociates.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page