Need advice to improve my home Wifi coverage - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need advice to improve my home Wifi coverage

I'm running a Netgear N750 wifi router out of my basement, connected to my Motorola Surfboard modem, and going out to the Cat 6 network cable (via a couple of hubs) throughout my home. The Wifi in much of my house is extremely weak no matter how I arrange the antennas, etc (this is a ranch with a basmenet, wood frame). I've used the Wifi analyzer app on my Android which confirms that I have good signal strength on both my 5G and 2G bands, with little overlap of neighboring networks. I'm a bit confused then as to why my devices (Android smartphones, Ipads, PC laptops, etc) all have weak connections (iPads are weakest of all and often fail to connect). Since I cannot relocate the router, what are my best options for improving my coverage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Get your self a eero setup and call it done. My house is setup like yours. I'm at about 2800 sq ft. I had same issue in my house. Spent money on extenders and various wifi routers and didn't help. Picked up the 3 unit eero setup just before the holidays and it has been perfect. Easy setup and now I have full coverage in every part of my house. They have cool app to monitor who's connected on your network Check it out here. https://eero.com
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 204
move the surfboard and wireless router to the upper floor and use a single cat 6 from the router to the hub input in the basement and your networks should work fine without any more modification

*if you have a multi room tv pvr you may have to relocate or add a moca filter for the surfboard*

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000

post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
No need to move everything upstairs. Leave it where it is, run a CAT6 to a central location upstairs, and install one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512...AGRKD582&psc=1.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I invested in Apple airport extremes a while back and have upgraded them all to the latest model but can't recommend them to anyone else. Having gotten at least a dozen people to purchase one from my word, I can't anymore since Apple no longer is making them. The best part is the incredibly fast and easy setup. I have the main one coming from my modem, feeding a switch. The switch sends CAT6 to the entire house and in rooms where coverage is spotty I can simply plug a router in, and within 5 minutes its connected and ready to go. Best part is that devices see the home as one big network, and the device will automatically connect to whichever router it thinks will be best. Single SSID. A Ubiquiti upgrade is next.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2017, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Sounds like the eero setup I have. My wireless device hops on and off the nearest eero depending on where I'm at in the house so never loss in coverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page