Best option for wireless mirroring to projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-07-2017, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best option for wireless mirroring to projector

I have a couple classrooms that need to be able to support wireless mirroring to the ceiling mounted projectors from any number of platforms -- PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, etc. The projectors both have HDMI and DVI inputs. One of the requirements is for the solution to be plug & play, without installing any drivers or external software.

I think my two best options are probably Apple TV and Chromecast. The Apple TV works very well out of the box with all Apple devices and other brands do the same with MS. The challenge is finding one that works well with both.

I've heard that Apple TV will also work for PC’s or notebooks that have an Intel graphics card. Not sure what percentage of devices that would exclude.

I could install two wireless devices and advertise a different SSID for Apple & MS but I want to look for a single solution before going that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-10-2017, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing, huh?

I was wondering if I posted this in the right forum section. Maybe a moderator can reply to let me know if it should be moved.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-10-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 86

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wire...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles

post #4 of 11 Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Right. But as I stated, I'm looking for recommendations for all-in-one solutions. Miracast and WiDi devices work fine for Windows and Android. Not so much for Apple products. Apple TV works great for Apple products but not for all Windows and none of the Android devices.

Isn't there something that covers all the bases? Office conference rooms or university auditorium classrooms come to mind as places this would be the most beneficial. Many companies do not have a single platform for one reason or another, and I would like to think there is some plug & play hardware developed that would allow for all these devices to plug in a dongle or connect wirelessly and share their screen.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 86

Not sure how much help you can expect here. This is a forum for home theater enthusiasts who have probably never even heard the term “wireless mirroring” (it was new to me). You need a forum that caters to commercial A/V installers and/or people familiar with such specialized equipment.

Try searching on "wireless mirroring apple android windows" or something like that. If you can't find something, it's doubtful anyone else will be able to either.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles

Last edited by Wayne A. Pflughaupt; 03-11-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-12-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You do remember the original Apple ad that Apple is "Different"?
Same Apple strategy still applies today.
What works on Android / Windows doesn't necessarily work with Apple. And Visa Versa.
You could support Chromecast AND Apple TV with each being on a different HDMI Input port (if the projector supports two), or put a HDMI switch between the Chrome / Apple TV > HDMI Switch > Projector.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There is one universal solution, Barco makes product called ClickShare but quite picey. Android and Apple connects to receiver via wifi but app needs to be installed. With laptop is more convenient as you're plugging usb dongle and just pressing the button that automatically connects to receiver
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarzombeg View Post
There is one universal solution, Barco makes product called ClickShare but quite picey. Android and Apple connects to receiver via wifi but app needs to be installed. With laptop is more convenient as you're plugging usb dongle and just pressing the button that automatically connects to receiver
As an option to the ClickShare, look at the Crestron AirMedia. iOS, Android, PC, Mac, either via an app or browser.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
post #9 of 11 Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
You do remember the original Apple ad that Apple is "Different"?
Same Apple strategy still applies today.
What works on Android / Windows doesn't necessarily work with Apple. And Visa Versa.
You could support Chromecast AND Apple TV with each being on a different HDMI Input port (if the projector supports two), or put a HDMI switch between the Chrome / Apple TV > HDMI Switch > Projector.
Yeah, this is probably the solution that we will end up implementing. The projectors do have two HDMI ports so it would just be a matter of setting up separate SSID's for the Apple TV and Chromecast for each classroom. Not the cleanest way, as it clutters up the available WiFi networks in our building, but cost effective.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarzombeg View Post
I am familiar with Barco ClickShare, and this was my preferred approach. Unfortunately we can't swing the cost. I was hoping this post would uncover some other similar options that were more affordable. Thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
As an option to the ClickShare, look at the Crestron AirMedia. iOS, Android, PC, Mac, either via an app or browser.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been in touch with the company and waiting for a sales rep to follow up with a quote. I have a feeling it will be pricey like the ClickShare but I appreciate the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Tags
apple tv , chromecast , mirror , plug & play , wireless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page