Reduce RF Interference Created by HDMI Splitter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2017, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reduce RF Interference Created by HDMI Splitter

I just installed a HDMI splitter into my AV system which is generating a lot of AM Radio noise (I actually listen to AM news radio every day!). I realize that AM radio is very sustainable to RF interference, but am looking for a way to eliminate/reduce the interference if possible.

The monitor is quite old and doesn’t have an HDMI input so I am using a passive adapter to convert HDMI to DVI (don’t think this is really important, but including just in case)

Straight from HDMI source to DVI adapter to monitor I have no RF interference.

• When I put the HDMI splitter into the mix (source -> splitter -> DVI adapter -> monitor) I am getting the RFI.
  • If I disconnect the monitor (source -> splitter -> DVI adapter) the interference goes away.
  • Monitor on or off makes no difference
  • Monitor completely disconnected from AC power still have interference.
  • As soon as the outer shield of the cable and the monitor are connected (even without wire being fully connected) to the monitor the RFI is present.
I suspected a ground loop type issue and tried powering the monitor with the AC ground pin removed and all other AV inputs disconnected. Didn’t help. It is possible the monitor is still grounded through the wall mount, but cant tell.

I have also tried grounding the metal case of the splitter, didn’t help

Even though I don’t think the interference is radiating from the cables I have tried all different quality cables. If I take the HDMI cable that would connect to the monitor and move it around close to the AM radio I do not get any interference, it is only when the outter shielding is connected.

My guess is still a ground loop, but not sure what else to try for this, or the internal clock/oscillator of the splitter causing the RFI. But why is the interference present when shield of splitter and shield of TV are connected? I would also expect the HDMI source to have the same issues without the splitter, but it doesn't.

I have tried 2 different manufacturer splitters. Both act the same
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8N5VLT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by JackPollack; 04-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Jack

if you have a cableco connection: have you tried disconnecting it at the entrance to the house?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #3 of 4 Old 04-09-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just tried with cable co disconnected. same RFI

post #4 of 4 Old 04-12-2017, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
just as a test, see if you can use a power strip to plug the monitor, source, and splitter all into the same outlet and see if it goes away.

James Babin - System designer (http://www.myeasytek.com).
Like us on facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Tags
rf interference , rfi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page