Optical cable ouside what it was intend to - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-03-2017, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Optical cable ouside what it was intend to

If you put one end of an optical cable, in front of the small light indicated if the power is on/off.
Will the light transmit the color of the light (red/blue in my case), to the other end?

The main reason, I need to add another power amp to power the 4 extra channels for an Atmos up-grade.
But no longer have the space to put in-wall, like the rest of my equipment, so it will be behind the wall but not seen, but would like to know if the 12 volts trigger did it's job to power the second amd.
See my signature on post # 2, pictures #6 & 7 for a front view and back view.

So this extra amp, will be sitting on it's own custom rack in the other room, to the right (back view) of the rest of the equipment.
Thinking outside the box, an optical cable is made fiber optic cable, and should transmit the light from one end to the other.

If this work, I can built a little stand in front of the power light of the amp, then put something that would face the theater if the power of that amp went On (maybe something like an hotel door viewer).

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-03-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-04-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Fiber is just a pathway for light -- it doesn't care the color. While identifying fibers, I've used both a VFL (red) and a flashlight as sources. What goes in one end comes out the other end.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page