Add Cooling Fan to A/V Cabinet - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 592 Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am adding one or two quiet computer fans to my Onkyo 805 to help with the heat issue. Am thinking about the noctua NF-S12-800 which is supposed to be quiet. I can find fans but not the AC to 4 prong molex adapters locally. In the interest of time i am thinking of using one of many wall warts I have lying around the house. They all seem to have diferent ratings. For instance one shows:

output= 3.7vdc .35A and another
output= 11vdc 550ma

There are others as well. Can anyone advise what a 12V dc computer fan would need.

The noctura fan states:
Input Power 0,60 W

Input Current 0,05 A

Voltage Range 6-13 V

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 592 Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRota View Post

I am adding one or two quiet computer fans to my Onkyo 805 to help with the heat issue. Am thinking about the noctua NF-S12-800 which is supposed to be quiet. I can find fans but not the AC to 4 prong molex adapters locally. In the interest of time i am thinking of using one of many wall warts I have lying around the house. They all seem to have diferent ratings. For instance one shows:

output= 3.7vdc .35A and another
output= 11vdc 550ma

There are others as well. Can anyone advise what a 12V dc computer fan would need.

The noctura fan states:
Input Power 0,60 W

Input Current 0,05 A

Voltage Range 6-13 V

Thanks

That fan draws 50mA at 12 volts DC.
Both warts you listed are more than capable of sourcing the current requirement. However, at 3.7v the fan will hardly be spinning at all.
The 11v wart will work fine. Or, spend the $13 and get a wart that lets you select the voltage you want so you can fine tune the fan for airflow and quietness.
post #183 of 592 Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 AM

Do you guys think this adapter would work to hook up a 12volt fan to AC current?

It's intended to hook up a standard computer hard drive (4 pin molex) to AC current. Any reason why I couldn't power a few fans from it?

12V + 5V DC to AC POWER SUPPLY UNIT for Hard Disk Drive

Standard 5V 12V voltage for 3.5" Hard Drive
Input : 100V-240V AC, 50/60 Hz, MAY 1.5A 75-100VA
Output : 5V DC, 2A ; 12V DC, 2A

post #184 of 592 Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 AM

clouser2k7
That will work. However, I would suggest going to Wal-Mart or RS and getting an adjustable voltage power supply. The one you show pictured outputs 12v and 5v. I can tell you from experience that your not moving much air at 5v and at 12v you are running full blast. If you have a quiet fan then just run it at full speed other wise 7v seems to be a good mix of sound vs airflow.
post #185 of 592 Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 AM

I got some good info from this thread, so I thought I'd post my results.

I got a PS3 for BD viewing, and quickly found that it's fan went bonkers a few minutes into a movie --- the PS3 definitely doesn't like being in an enclosed cabinet.

After reading posts in this thread, I got the SilenX 4-fan controller and two Scythe "slipstream" 120mm 1600 rpm fans. Cut some holes in the back of my cabinet and mounted both fans to exhaust (they sit on either side of the wire hole. The PS3 is on the top shelf of a two-shelf area in a TV stand). The fans are huge (I've put 120mm fans in a PC case before, but just wasn't remembering how profoundly large they are... )

I thought that perhaps I'd need to add a partition of some sort to force airflow to come across the PS3, but it hasn't been necessary. The shelf the PS3 sits on stops short of the back wall of the cabinet, and I was afraid air would just flow up from the lower level and out the fans, and the air around the PS3 would just sit there. There is clearly enough airflow past the PS3, though --- I watched an hour's worth of a movie with the cabinet closed and the PS3 was cool at the end, and the PS3 fan never started roaring.

The scythe fans are set to about half-speed on the controller, and are barely audible with the rest of the system turned off. They are audible in the sense that if you turn them off, you realize that there was background noise before. I'm pleased by the sound level; the PS3 fan sounds like a train going by when it comes on. This is an improvement.

A hilarious side-effect; After I installed the fans, hooked everything up and tested, I discovered that my Dish DVR was acting like someone was constantly hitting buttons on the remote. I determined that it wasn't my remote that caused it (the dvr was changing channels constantly!). As a stab in the dark, I took off the RF antenna that the DVR has on the back (I'm using an IR remote, not the RF one). That cured the problem. The fan controller or more likely the fan motors are sending out an RF signal at just the right frequency to control my VIP-722! Never saw that one coming.

Finally, I'd never bought from FrozenCPU before (NewEgg was out of stock). I commend them --- a really fast, pleasant experience. Here are the products I used.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/64...1225SL12H.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/59..._IXA-FCEX.html

Cheers, and thanks for all the helpful posts.
Ken
post #186 of 592 Old 02-24-2008, 10:03 PM

Fletch, this looks like a cool setup. Am I to understand that you have the fans plugged into the controller,,,,and the controller plugged into the wall,,,, and you're good to go? With speed controls and all, without having to get converter this and converter that? If so, this is what I'm gonna do if necessary.

Which leads me to my question for all of you guys out there. I am building a wall unit for my LCD (50" Sony, if that matters), receiver, DVD player, and 360. The dvd, 360, and receiver are all going to be on open shelves with like 6-8 inches of space in back and 10-12 inches of space on top with 3-4 inches of space on sides. I figure this will give them enough ventilationfor those units, am I right? However the TV will be in between shelves with about 3 inches of space on top and the 2 sides, and about 4-6 inches behind it.

Will I need to put a fan or 2 for ventilation on the TV? Or do you guys think it will get enough airflow and will be ok as is?

I thought if necessary, I could put 1 fan on the shelf the tv sits on, and 1 on the shelf above to create a draft like effect behind the tv for cooling.

Thanks for any and all help......

DMAN
post #187 of 592 Old 02-25-2008, 10:26 AM

For fan mods, here's a VERY cool little contraption.
I was cutting flips when I found it the other day.
It's a temperature controlled 0/1 switch that is open until it reaches 115F degrees at which point it closes, completing the circuit.

Basically, if you wire this in series with your DC fan your fan will be off at all times UNLESS your unit is above 115*, at which point the fan will be ON until the temperature drops back below that mark.

Do a google search for Selco CA115
post #188 of 592 Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAN11 View Post

Fletch, this looks like a cool setup. Am I to understand that you have the fans plugged into the controller,,,,and the controller plugged into the wall,,,, and you're good to go? With speed controls and all, without having to get converter this and converter that? If so, this is what I'm gonna do if necessary.

Yes, that's right. Slightly better is to plug the controller into a switched outlet on your AV receiver or some other component, so that the fans only power on when your system is on.

Ken
post #189 of 592 Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchmath View Post

Yes, that's right. Slightly better is to plug the controller into a switched outlet on your AV receiver or some other component, so that the fans only power on when your system is on.

Ken

See my method above, fixes all of these issues.
post #190 of 592 Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclid537 View Post

See my method above, fixes all of these issues.

Well, I installed my fans to cool a PS3, with the purpose of keeping the PS3's own fan from spinning up. When the PS3's fan is in "first gear" it's reasonably quiet, but when it hits third gear, it is extremely loud.

So, I don't really want my exhaust fans waiting until the cabinet gets hot before they come on; I want them on as soon as the PS3 is. That way, the PS3 stays quiet while I watch movies.
post #191 of 592 Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks Fletch, and Euclid, that switch sounds pretty good. But how about my ultimate question....

I am building a wall unit for my LCD (50" Sony, if that matters), receiver, DVD player, and 360. The dvd, 360, and receiver are all going to be on open shelves with like 6-8 inches of space in back and 10-12 inches of space on top with 3-4 inches of space on sides. I figure this will give them enough ventilationfor those units, am I right? However the TV will be in between shelves with about 3 inches of space on top and the 2 sides, and about 4-6 inches behind it.

Will I need to put a fan or 2 for ventilation on the TV? Or do you guys think it will get enough airflow and will be ok as is?

Thanks......

DMAN
post #192 of 592 Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 AM

All - Thanks for all the wonderful input in this thread. One last question that hasn't seemed to have been answered in a while - I am looking for a way to turn the fans on (likely via the 4 Channel Fan Controller since i want to install two intakes - one on each side of the cabinet) when the Receiver turns on. I have an Onkyo605 which doesnt have a switched outlet to plug into. I also dont think i want to do a temp-controlled switch because 1) no electrical experience and dont think these are "plug and play" and 2) price. So i think my only option is an IR or RF outlet (to be turned on by my yet-to-be-purchased Harmony remote. Does this sound right?

As for IR/RF outlets, this one looks simple enough, radio shack has an "Indoor/Outdoor Wireless AC Switch" that seems simple enough. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks again for all the information on this thread!

FYI - Here's the gear in my cabinet:

Verizon Fios HD DVR
Toshiba HD-A2 (likely to be replaced by a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player soon!)
Xbox 360
Onkyo 605

Currently there's one 3" whole at the top center of the cabinet for wiring, and i cut another 6" x 2" square out from behind the Onkyo for more wiring options and air flow (obviously air flow didnt work since i am in this thread!).
post #193 of 592 Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is what I use. My stereo has switched outlets on the back so I plugged it in there. When the stereo comes on, so do my fans.

I have an intake and exaust, as well as a fan blowing up underneath of the receiver. It stays very cool!

This picture is before I installed the lower intake fan.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #194 of 592 Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman113 View Post

All - Thanks for all the wonderful input in this thread. One last question that hasn't seemed to have been answered in a while - I am looking for a way to turn the fans on (likely via the 4 Channel Fan Controller since i want to install two intakes - one on each side of the cabinet) when the Receiver turns on. I have an Onkyo605 which doesnt have a switched outlet to plug into. I also dont think i want to do a temp-controlled switch because 1) no electrical experience and dont think these are "plug and play" and 2) price. So i think my only option is an IR or RF outlet (to be turned on by my yet-to-be-purchased Harmony remote. Does this sound right?

As for IR/RF outlets, this one looks simple enough, radio shack has an "Indoor/Outdoor Wireless AC Switch" that seems simple enough. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks again for all the information on this thread!

FYI - Here's the gear in my cabinet:

Verizon Fios HD DVR
Toshiba HD-A2 (likely to be replaced by a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player soon!)
Xbox 360
Onkyo 605

Currently there's one 3" whole at the top center of the cabinet for wiring, and i cut another 6" x 2" square out from behind the Onkyo for more wiring options and air flow (obviously air flow didnt work since i am in this thread!).

I have the same receiver and will probably go with this solution I worked up. I know you said you didn't want it to be temp controlled but I beleive your reasoning for this was complexity and cost. I think my solution solves both.
First we could use this power supply:
http://www.jab-tech.com/12v-DC-Power...r-pr-3776.html

It has a Molex connector on it that we could plug into this temp controller. UPDATE: Need more research this may be a themro only and not a controller.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-KAMA-...r-pr-3595.html

Then plug the controller into the fan of your choice and place the temp probe on whatever component you would like or in our case clip it to the top of the 605. I would wrap the wires into some nice wire loom and tack to cornors of cabinet and mount the temp controller some where convenient. I think I figured total bill would be about $44.00 + shipping (includes 120mm Scythe fan, anti-vibe-gasket, and filter).
post #195 of 592 Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am going to vent my built-in kitchen style cabinets outdoors using a short piece of laundry tubing (horizontally). Fans will be powered using the Onkyo's aux plug The fan will be in an exhaust configuration near the top and a hole at the bottom to draw in air - any thoughts on how to prevent moisture from getting inside the cabinets?
post #196 of 592 Old 02-29-2008, 01:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why do you think you even need to vent it going to outdoors? Seems like a lot of unnecessary work. And like you mention, preventing moisture from getting in and building up could be a real problem, and also one that may be near impossible to deal with without spending a lot of money. Besides if it really get so hot inside that cabinet that it needs to be vented to the outdoors, then it's probably time to consider routing some sort of a small dedicated A/C device just to the cabinet. Installing cooling fans and venting to the room itself, should provide all the circulation you will need to prevent overheating.
post #197 of 592 Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 AM

I acquired a Pioneer Plasma with the external media box PDP4240. Love the TV put the media center fan is loud. Would it be thinkable to replace the loud fan with a noiseless fan?

Thanks.

JB
post #198 of 592 Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 AM

just wanted to thank you guys for this thread...

i installed 2 dc quiet fans from cpucoolers and a wal-mart ac to dc universal adapter and now my HK AVR is much cooler in the cabinet.

thanks again!!

dm
post #199 of 592 Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 AM

dwmoss, where did you say you got your quiet fans from? what is that website? or is it a store?

thanks.....dman11
post #200 of 592 Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM

i got my fans from coolerguys.com as mentioned in this thread i believe....

dm
post #201 of 592 Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
TJ7

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

I am going to vent my built-in kitchen style cabinets outdoors using a short piece of laundry tubing (horizontally). Fans will be powered using the Onkyo's aux plug The fan will be in an exhaust configuration near the top and a hole at the bottom to draw in air - any thoughts on how to prevent moisture from getting inside the cabinets?

I was considdering a similar configuration into my attic. 2" PVC horizontally at the top of the cabinet with slices half way through at about 1" apart and painted black. Then run the PVC up and into the attic with an adapter to 4" and a remote fan triggered by the AVR. Like a muffler, the more bends the better and like a central vacuum system, you won't here the fan.

I will be puting the fan on a speed control to adjust CFMs and audibility.

Radio Shack Catalogue Archive 1939-2005

Does your system seem to have a mind of its own?
Turn HDMI Control OFF!!!
post #202 of 592 Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM

I am also going to add a fan or two to my cabinet to cool a new Onkyo 605, which gets very hot from what I have read. I am considering this fan - SilenX iXtrema Pro 120mm Case Fan from Frys (sorry, newb here and not allowed to post a URL yet - double secret probation) which seems to have an excellent cfm to noise ratio. I only have about 2 to 3 inches above the receiver so my question for those of you who have used fan cooling - Will it work with limited room above the receiver?
post #203 of 592 Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Is anyone familiar with the dmckenzie products one ebay? What is the quality and ustomer service like?
post #204 of 592 Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterblack View Post

Is anyone familiar with the dmckenzie products one ebay? What is the quality and ustomer service like?

I have bought several things from him and he has never let me down. He just completed a custom setup for my Onkyo 605 with 120mm fan that has a foam seal to seat on top of th Onkyo, and thermo control switch that I have set at 80 degrees that sits on top of the Onkyo and then it plugs into the wall. When the temp of the Onkyo unit finally hits 80 the fan comes on by itself and keeps it nice and cool, when the Onkyo unit shuts off and goes below 80 the fan stops. This guy is awesome and very reasonable. Chated with him on Thursday and Monday had the parts and they work fine. I have sent several people over to him to get a setup for this unit.

Here is what I bought that he customized for me to do what I wanted, just send him an email and tell hime what you need and he can get it done.
Item number: 360027476993
post #205 of 592 Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Hi, guys:

I have an Onkyo 605. No closed cabinet, glass open shelves. I think the distance between the receiver and the next upper shelf is 5 cm.

Has anyone tried this one? Is it noisy?.

www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

As far as I understand, this fan only pulls out the hot air, and do not send fresh air (and dirt) inside the receiver.

It looks an easy solution.

Or is it better the coolerguys.com product: Scythe S-FLEX (SFF21D) (SFF21E) (SFF21F) 120mm Dynamic Fluid Bearing Fan Nearly Inaudible ?

Comments?
post #206 of 592 Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post

I was looking for cooling options for my cabinet, and i found this on Newegg...no one has mentioned it yet and it is a MUCH cheaper solution to these $200 set ups...

SilenX IXA-FCEX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999167

It is an AC-DC converter w/ 4 pc fan connectors, 1 4pin molex and 3 3pin output lines each with their own speed controller and a blue led to show power for each...If you don't use 3-wire fans the blue power indicator lights will not light up.

I got one of these; hooked it up to three Zalman 120mm fans, works just fine except one channel had no LED, it's apparently part of the voltage drop so there's very little room to get the fan cranked down to a low enough speed to be completely quite. I'd move the fan to the other channel (since I only need three), but those LEDs are extremely bright; it's sorta nice having one less of them to deal with! Bottom line; it's a cheaply built controller but it does the job.
post #207 of 592 Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVeO View Post

The fan I was looking at on the page is 8.7db...coolerguys.com/sff21.html

After reading this thread, I bought the cooler guys dual 120mm fan unit mentioned above (CabCool1202 Dual 120mm Fan Cooler Kit for Cabinet / Home Theaters w/Thermal Control: CABCOOL-2) with the upgrade to the Scythe SFlex fans you link to.

It seemed like a complete solution that is easy to install and quiet and changes speed depending on temperature. All for a very reasonable price.

It has proven to be everything but quiet. Both fans have a fairly loud clicking sound at any speed. The fans get great reviews for being quiet, but mine certainly are not. (By the way, I left a review for the fans to balance out the good reviews, and it hasn't shown up after a few days at coolerguys. They are responsive company though, so I have just emailed to see if they will replace or refund). The loudness is not as loud as a refrigerator, but louder than my comcast cable/dvr box when it's recording.

UPDATE: Coolerguys are cool guys. They responded and were very willing to trade out the fans. They said these can make noise at low speeds and not all fans do that. They also offered to send an updated speed controller they will be selling soon. It is full on above 86 degrees and full off otherwise. I wish they would not have offered an upgrade to a speaker that works worse in the kit that others, but they are fully dedicated to making it work for the customer.
post #208 of 592 Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 PM

Does anyone know where I can get some 8-32 x 1 3/4" black machine screws to attach my fans to my entertainment center? I've tried Lowes, Home Depot, and Radio Shack. Internet companies have them, but they want to sell me thousands at a time.

Basically, the way this will work is I'll cut-out a hole for the 120mm fan, as well as four holes for the screws. The intake fan will be mounted underneath the bottom shelf. The exhaust fan will be mounted inside the cabinet, high on the right side, so it will be visible. I can't place the fan behind the cabinet, because of a sliding DVD drawer.

INTAKE FAN
Inside of cabinet floor
Grille
-----Cabinet-----
Rubber fan washer
Fan
Grille

EXHAUST FAN
Outside of cabinet side
Black Grille
-----Cabinet-----
Rubber fan washer
Fan
Grille

Thanks,
Kelly
post #209 of 592 Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post

Does anyone know where I can get some 8-32 x 1 3/4" black machine screws to attach my fans to my entertainment center? I've tried Lowes, Home Depot, and Radio Shack. Internet companies have them, but they want to sell me thousands at a time.

Try a place like a well stocked ACE Hardware. Also if you are in or near a major city, look up "fasteners or industrial fasteners, or even industtial supplies" in the Yellow pages. Many industrial fastener suppy stores will sell small amounts to walk in customers. You might be surprised how many places that there are that have this sort of item. Also if you do have to buy a full box, a lot of times they are also offered in smaller amounts like 25 or 100. A full box of smaller amount like 25, should only be a couple of dollars.
post #210 of 592 Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Try a place like a well stocked ACE Hardware. Also if you are in or near a major city, look up "fasteners or industrial fasteners, or even industtial supplies" in the Yellow pages. Many industrial fastener suppy stores will sell small amounts to walk in customers. You might be surprised how many places that there are that have this sort of item. Also if you do have to buy a full box, a lot of times they are also offered in smaller amounts like 25 or 100. A full box of smaller amount like 25, should only be a couple of dollars.

While you don't need to use "fan screws" and can use anything you find at the hardware store, you will have issues with the head diameter and the fan grill; the larger heads will never seat in the small depression that the conventional fan screws are meant to lay in.
I did find one place on-line a while back that sold double length "fan screws", but they were from Canada and didn't wan't the hassle.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page