DIY USB IR Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-20-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone tried to build a USB IR Receiver for remote controlling their computer. I found 2 websites, but I haven't posted enough to link them here yet.

I may bump this post to give me the capabilities to post the sites.

Marbles

My web-o-information:
http://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/
Where I discuss the following projects
-DIY multi-zoning music distribution
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-20-2005, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

My web-o-information:
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
post #3 of 20 Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

The two sites are:

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht..._receiver.html

http://usbirboy.sourceforge.net/

Marbles

P.S. If anyone has anyother circuits that they know work, please let me know.

My web-o-information:
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
post #4 of 20 Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm confused....why would you bother building one when you can buy one all day long for under $20? For example: http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner...rared+Adapters

Mike
post #5 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M NEWMAN
I'm confused....why would you bother building one when you can buy one all day long for under $20? For example: http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner...rared+Adapters

i'm confused as well...where on that page do you see an IR receiver, capable of receiving signals from a consumer remote control...for under $20.00 with shipping?
I'd rater build something that works for under $5.00.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBDA
i'm confused as well...where on that page do you see an IR receiver, capable of receiving signals from a consumer remote control...for under $20.00 with shipping?
I'd rater build something that works for under $5.00.

I just grabbed one website out of hundreds on a search. These and other IR devices (if I understand correctly) can be coupled with IR emulator programs available to use the IR commands from a remote to control the PC. I can't remember specifically where I've seen complete packages (hardware & software) to do this, but I have seen them and know they're cheap and available online. It shouldn't be too hard to find them with a little google diligence. ;)

Incidentally, if you know how to do this for $5, why don't you just post the info?

Mike
post #7 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

I’m confused too….isn’t this forum section geared towards DIY stuff? I know there are devices out there that are capable of performing the functions I require (though I don’t think the ones you have the link to will), but really are they that much more economical to buy for me? Let’s see…

Part/Manufacturer/Description/Supplier/Cost (in Canadian $ - since I’m Canadian)
AT90S2323-10/Atmel /micro-pro/Digi-Key/$3.89
CTX164/CTS/12MHz crystal/Digi-Key/$3.51
478-3032-1/AVX Corp/4.7uF_16V cap Tantal/Digi-Key/$0.51
ECE-A1CKA100/Panasonic/10uF_16V cap Electro/Digi-Key/$0.18
ECKNVS101KB/Panasonic/100nF cap multilayer ceramic/Digi-Key/$0.66
MRF25F1k5/Panasonic/1.5k resistor (1/4W) Digi-Key/$0.22
PNA4602M/Panasonic/38kHz IR Receiver/Digi-Key/$1.71

Cost: $10.68

Now I didn’t include the 8 pin socket, perf board or USB connector/cable as I can most likely find those around the workplace. Actually, I may already have the caps, resistor and crystal as well. I still have a PNA4602M left over from my WinLIRC days which I can use. So my only cost would be $3.89 (Canadian) for the IC. Can you show me an off the shelf product that cheap for my application?

The real important thing here is the accomplishment of building something that works…now that’s “pricelessâ€. Even more valuable is that I could use this simple circuit to one day explain to my children how electronics works. Now that is something that seems to be lost…people wanting to spend actual time with their kids.

You might say “well you have to build a programmer….where are those costsâ€. Granted I do, and you would have a valid point if the programmer was only to be built for this lone project. I have plenty of LANC projects that require IC programming so that cost is negligible.

Let’s say that you go and buy one of your products your endorsing but your remote transmits at 56.9kHz and not 38kHz, leaving your product useless. Now you have to go through all the hassles of returning it to get a refund. With the circuits above, it is as simple as removing the PNA4602M (or equivalent) and replacing it with a PNA4614M00YB ($1.91@DigiKey). Still cheaper and far less headaches.

Thanks for putting the time into finding a link to attempt to justify your response, but…no thanks. I have to agree with TonyBDA on this one.

Marbles

My web-o-information:
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
post #8 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Incidentally, if you know how to do this for $5, why don't you just post the info?
Here you go:

http://users.skynet.be/sky50985/

it transmits as well.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you're both misreading me...big time. In fact, why is it that people always seem to try to read the worst possible tone into others' responses anymore, instead thinking in a more positive way. It's really aggravating to be taken completely out of context just because you're being lazy in your reading skills (now I AM being a little short with you). When I said I was confused about why you wanted to do this, it was only from the perspective that it seemed like an awful lot of work to do, just to replace what's already available for pretty cheap money. Plus, if you have to drive anywhere to get a part, hell you'd be over $20 in a flash with gas prices the way they are!! Also, time is valuable (especially when you have kids!!), so it just seemed to me that doing a project like this to me was too costly, time value-wise.

Now, you could have just said, "I'm building one not to save money, but because of the fun of it", and I would have understood you perfectly. WITHOUT all the attitude both of your posts (you and Tony) were laced with. Now that I understand where you're coming from, more power to ya...have fun with your project and I think its a good idea. Just try in the future to be a little less willing to take offense at what people are saying, forcing them to give a dissertation on their viewpoint everytime they post just so they aren't misunderstood... :(

Mike
post #10 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 09:26 AM

Quote:
WITHOUT all the attitude both of your posts (you and Tony) were laced with.
right...you're the diplomat....your post had no attitude at all.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for proving my point, Tony. At least you're constistent... ;)

Mike
post #12 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Tony. Unfortunately those plans are for a serial UIRT. I'm looking more specifically for USB. Some history. I built a couple of WinLIRC circuits (http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/) and had one connected to a PIII 550. Using Girder with the Igor plugin, it has worked great and flawlessly. I built a second one for experimentation and tried it both with a 733 and 866 PIII and have been having flawed communication. I figured that if there are too many services running in the background, there could be missed communication from the COM port and figured a USB IR Receiver might perform better (Note all three computers are running Win2k Pro). But after reading that link you provided, I'm wondering now if there is induced noise in the room where both those computers (733 and 866) sit which is giving me the problems. I might try that noise filter and see if that helps.

As for my post, Mr "M", your post made it apparent that I had to explain my justification into why I wanted to take the project on, both economically and "spiritually". The reason for posting here is the simple fact that it is supposed to be a DIY forum (and tweaker forum) and I shouldn't have to justify the reasons for wanting to build a project such as this or any project for that matter, especially on a forum of this nature. If I had asked this same question in the HTPC forum, then I could understand and accept a response such as the one you gave (which I was originally going to do).

Enough of all that, let's get back to DIY'ing. Again I ask the question:
Has anyone tried to build a USB IR Receiver for remote controlling their computer? Or more specifically have tried either one of the circuits I have linked above?

Marbles

My web-o-information:
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
post #13 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles_00

As for my post, Mr "M", your post made it apparent that I had to explain my justification into why I wanted to take the project on, both economically and "spiritually". The reason for posting here is the simple fact that it is supposed to be a DIY forum (and tweaker forum) and I shouldn't have to justify the reasons for wanting to build a project such as this or any project for that matter, especially on a forum of this nature. If I had asked this same question in the HTPC forum, then I could understand and accept a response such as the one you gave (which I was originally going to do).
Again, you misunderstand my perspective out of belligerence. Nobody was asking you to "justify" your DIY project. I only asked a simple, innocent question as to why you would want to do this, since it's already available complete for not much more $$ than DIY, with far, far less time loss and hassles. If you'll stop and think for a moment, DIY also implies an attempt money-savings over a commercially available product, and there's not that much money to be saved here (especially when you factor in labor!). It's not typically done for "spiritual" reasons, hence my mild curiousity. Do you always get so defensive and private about your DIY projects? On a public forum, no less?!!! :p
Nuff, said, I won't rain on your parade any more. Have fun with your project, and I do hope you are able to enjoy your teaching time with your kids one day. I think that's a good goal. ;)

Mike
post #14 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I don't understand why you choose to post that way? Not once was I any more belligerent than you at any time. You asked in your post "why would you bother building one when you can buy one all day long for under $20?" Which would lead myself and anyone to justify why (you asked remember), for my reasons, again view my response, I state that quite clearly. If it would cost me $50 in parts, then I would not bother (and I would not have posted in the beginning), but for a simple $3 to $10 worth of parts then why not try. One must ask then, why bother building a DIY amplifier, speakers, cabling, or even home renovations when it takes the individual twice as long to do something then getting a professional in or just buying the product. By the time all the workmanship, research, tools and parts go into it (you said it yourself, factor in the labor), not to mention the endless tweaking to make it just right for yourself, does it really save you money and time? It's the reward of doing it that's why....simple as that, and if you can save a couple of bucks, I agree with you, then your really the winner. Who's getting defensive? You asked a question (really you did), and I told you both through cost and reason. I was not rude to you, I was not expecting such a response on a forum of this nature. A forum where one would share similar experiences and successes (or failures for that matter).

Oh and if I was trying to be defensive and private about my DIY projects, then why would I have even posted in the first place to find out if anyone else has attempted it and to share their ideas?

Good luck with your DIY'ing whatever it may be.

Marbles

My web-o-information:
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
post #15 of 20 Old 10-21-2005, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Marbles, you and I seem to have a different philosophy on DIY in general. I tend to look at DIY as an opportunity to save a rather large chunk of cash, replacing it with my "spare time" labor instead. You seem to view DIY (at least in this thread) as an opportunity to simply do something yourself. This view is in the minority. Most people in this forum, it would seem, are of the same mindset as myself. Meaning, they relish doing something that gets them a better product for far less money than they would have to spend on a manufactured product. Evidence of this is all over the place. This being said, hopefully, it is now clear why I didn't understand why you wanted to do this project since there was little potential money to be saved, and thought it was further possible that you didn't know that these components already existed. See, it wasn't until I asked "why", that you all of the sudden started offering up all sorts of background showing that you were already knowledgeable about the subject, had weighed your options and decided that this was the right course for you. In your first post, you offered zero info to this regard, and led anyone reading your first post that you might possibly be ignorant of what's already available. Since then, you've acted as if I should have somehow figured out that you knew what you were doing, and not asked "why". Hopefully, you can now see why I feel you've been belligerent. Never was I asking you to "justify" your objective, but was, in fact, only trying to be helpful. That seems to have backfired tremendously here....

Mike
post #16 of 20 Old 10-23-2005, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
USB to IrDA adapter, $7.00 after rebate from outpost.com/FRYS. Or if you have a B&M FRYS close to you, then it's free after the rebate at their B&M store according to Saturdays ad in the paper. Even if it is not exactly what you need/want, it still may be worthwhile at that price just to have it for a parts source.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/416...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.cablesunlimited.com/produ...roupcode=I3278
post #17 of 20 Old 10-23-2005, 06:29 AM

Quote:
USB to IrDA adapter,
The OP is looking for a consumer IR receiver, neither of those devices linked are capable of that.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-23-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The OP is looking for a consumer IR receiver, neither of those devices linked are capable of that.
Fine, now go back and read the very last part of what I said again that you seemed to have missed entirely about the possibility of maybe just using it for parts at that price as he wanted to build one...
Plus I never even said it was what he wanted!

Not to mention both links are for the SAME device, not two different ones!
post #19 of 20 Old 10-24-2005, 02:18 AM

I read your post....I think you're missing the concept. The OP wants an IR receiver for remote control signals. He's linked to a few, and I linked to one, you haven't, nor can the device you linked ( why would you link to the same device twice?) be used as a source of parts

Quote:
USB IR Receiver for remote controlling their computer
Seems pretty clear to me.

Quote:
Not to mention both links are for the SAME device, not two different ones!
Uh, yeah....got me there.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-24-2005, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I read your post....I think you're missing the concept.
No I did not, what he wants to do, is probably build something like this....

http://www.usbuirt.com/

Quote:
nor can the device you linked be used as a source of parts
Sure it can, if you are just looking for a way to get a I/R sensor itself for free. And providing if it would work in the frequency ranges required for his application. And being that it can be had for free, is why I said only that "it still may be worthwhile at that price just to have it for a parts source." So notice yet again. I NEVER specifically said that it would work!

Quote:
( why would you link to the same device twice?)
Simple....
The first link showed where it was cheap to buy with a rebate, and even free if you bought from one of their B&M stores, but it really did not have much info about it. So the 2nd link was also the original brand/maker of the product and who are the ones supplies it to outpost.com/FRYS, and also had more information about it.
Closed Thread Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page