Rocketfish Cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 06-29-2006, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whats up with this new brand of cables? We just got a bunch of them at our bestbuy, and the employee cost is DIRT cheap (like $5 for a 4ft HDMI), but tag price is the between the average Monster and Acoustic Research cables. Ive done some Google searches and I can't even find a website for the brand, so my first impression is that they are pretty sketchy, but I have no idea. Does anybody know anything about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 07-01-2006, 09:20 PM

they're a bestbuy store brand, just like dynex. Coming from the Monster Captain at Futureshop Windsor.
and yes, employee purchase price on these cables are nice, waiting for them to hit the shelves in our store In our stores up here, Rocketfish is taking the place of AR. If you want any more information i can fax you the info to your store. Let me know
post #3 of 53 Old 07-04-2006, 02:47 PM

Yes they are a best buy brand but does anyone know what the construction
is like.

How durable are they compared to the monster brand. Are they a heavy gauge.

and Are they appealing to the eyes when they are merchandised on the
store shelves.

And if they are on your shelves already Beer-Baron, what is the cost of a 12ft
component cable at the staff price, and the Fibre optic cable that is 6ft long at the staff purchase price.

I work at a FS and we havent gotten our stock yet. I was gonna buy a bunch of
AR stock but if the rocket fish price is lower and the product is better then I will
wait for the rocket fish brand.

Please and thank you to the best buy family If you can help me out.

sharpgill
post #4 of 53 Old 07-05-2006, 12:50 PM

From what I have seen they are about equal to Acoustic Research, and the Monster Video 800 series. Here is the side by side

Brand Outer construction Shielding Conductor

Rocketfish High end/durable 99%copper 100%foil 99.97%OFC Solid
Acoustic Pro 2 Standard Rubber 95%copperX2, 100%foil 99.97%OFC Solid/silver
Monster 800 High end/Durable 95%copper 100%foil 99.97% OFC fine strand

So each has benefits and drawbacks
Rocketfish has 99% copper shielding and great construction
Acoustic pro 2 has double 95% copper shields and silver coated conductor
Monster has great construction and fine stranded conductor instead of solid core

I gotta give Rocketfish some credit, for the price that is some great ****, but still not the best.
post #5 of 53 Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM

Yes thank you for the breakdown of the products.

But does anyone know the cost of the cables that I posted earlier.

(prev Post)

sharpgill
post #6 of 53 Old 07-05-2006, 11:50 PM

Both less than $10 a piece. Maybe $7-$10
post #7 of 53 Old 07-10-2006, 09:33 PM

i work at best buy and bought 3 4' HDMI cables. they were less than 6 bucks a piece, seem pretty much like good AR or monster ultra 600 ( like there's any real difference in quality in any HDMI cable over a 4 foot run anyway).
post #8 of 53 Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 PM

Rocketfishproducts is the website for anyone interested.

Kinger
post #9 of 53 Old 07-25-2006, 03:34 PM

Monster is such a joke, once a brainwashed person about Monsters "quality" take this into consideration

1) Monster THX ultra component cables are compared to single yellow composite cables.

2) Monster speaker cable is asked to be setup by Monster in this manner: Cut the monster speaker wire as short as possible, now get a very thin, and as long as possible speaker cable to compare it to.

I will push Rocketfish 110% now and give customers a real value, not Monster garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the exact same factory.
post #10 of 53 Old 07-25-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You may want to read this thread.

Ericglo

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #11 of 53 Old 07-30-2006, 01:42 PM

part of the reason rocketfish is going in is because bby has seen how profitable the geek squad stuff has become for them, also it gives bby more assortment, and allows for the sales price to stay high as well with a product that costs little to make.

As far as comparing it to Monster and all the talk on here of how Monster is a joke, set up demos and compare for yourself. Do A vs. B demos of any length (audio, video, speaker wire) and I would imagine you will see/hear a difference. My store has numerous demos set up and we sell a ton of it, and I have numerous banners/achievers to show for it.
post #12 of 53 Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Not a bad looking product and the specs are decent, but what are we talking for end user cost? Say for example the 6' Component cables (RF-G1114)

Also how is the flexability of the cable? Some solid core just doesn't drape nicely like stranded making cable management an interesting trick.

I personally avoide monster at all costs. Back when I worked for Sound Advice I had to sit through a bunch of Monster rep garbage...bottom line is that their cable is over priced and over rated for the quality you get. The only good thing they have going is thier marketeering (saturate marketing reps with psuedo engineering terms and you have marketeering)

-------------------------------------
He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any one I know. - Abraham Lincoln
post #13 of 53 Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM

a lot of you seem like bby employees- at your cost, is monster worth it?

so it seems like rocketfish is like the 800 series, monster has a 1000- which I have running from my DVD player to a 60" SXRD.
post #14 of 53 Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really considering buying a couple Rocketfish cables. I really like the braided look of them, and hope their picture and sound quality is good. I bought a small LCD for my kitchen from Future Shop, and the sales guy told me that if I needed cables, he'll give me any Rocketfish cable for 1/2 price. I wanted to get a few HDMI, component and Optical cables.

I really liked the Acoustic Research cables FS and Best Buy used to carry, if these are as good or better, I might buy a few.

So, after a few months on the shelf, what's the verdict so far? Is it worth buying?

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #15 of 53 Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM

My uncle bought me an HDMI cable and I think it works the same as a blue jeans HDMI cable. I am having trouble seeing the difference between HDMI and component though it may just be me.
post #16 of 53 Old 11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STITrainer View Post

part of the reason rocketfish is going in is because bby has seen how profitable the geek squad stuff has become for them, also it gives bby more assortment, and allows for the sales price to stay high as well with a product that costs little to make.

As far as comparing it to Monster and all the talk on here of how Monster is a joke, set up demos and compare for yourself. Do A vs. B demos of any length (audio, video, speaker wire) and I would imagine you will see/hear a difference. My store has numerous demos set up and we sell a ton of it, and I have numerous banners/achievers to show for it.

The key word in your post is "imagine" because imagining is what you are doing when saying you can see and hear a difference. The fact that you have banners and achievers makes me want to go out and buy Monster Cable right now.

Why don't you do an honest test and have someone come over with their gear and set up in your store. Let them calibrate their setup while using some Belden or Gepco cable. No way you would do that because then you would look like idiots. It's easy when you are the controller of the demo to make it look like there is a difference between cables. Of course you are going to show Monster cable is better otherwise you would't be selling squat.

Matt D. Sherer CET, CTS-I,ISF-C
post #17 of 53 Old 11-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by STITrainer View Post

You ever noticed that there are plenty of HD/SD comparisons, as well as high quality/low quality speaker setups in BB, yet there has never been a comparison of two identical TV's side by side, one with cables out of the box, and the other with $125 Monster Cables. There is a reason for that.

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #18 of 53 Old 11-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't want to get into the middle of a flame war.

But I am looking at HDMI cables for my new set-up. I would prefer to buy locally - in case I have a problem. Went to BB today - and they are selling Rocketfish - AR - and Monster. AR and Rocketfish are about the same price. Any opinions concerning which is better? I'll need the cables for 2 short runs (both under 4 feet).

Also - since there seem to be some BB employees here - what's the story on "open box" cables? They sell for half price (or less). Do most people return cables because they're the wrong length? Or other reasons? Robyn
post #19 of 53 Old 11-28-2006, 07:21 PM

Liked: 11
Either cable should be fine. As far as "open box", 9 out of 10 cables that come back are because of wrong length or because of the wrong cable was bought. As far as cables go, if you are looking for a good deal, an open box cable is great. They also come with a full warranty as if you had bought it brand new...
post #20 of 53 Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM

We've sold a ton of Rocketfish in our HT dept - top 50 in the company 9 months running - and I personally have sold a ton of it, but after the other day, will not further. A 4ft Rocketfish HDMI cable runs a customer $70. It runs an employee about $5. Considerable to Monster 800 series? No way. Did a service call the other day for a customer who simply tilted his LCD and the HDMI end (cheap plastic) snapped. Later that same day, I used an open item Rocketfish cable to hook up a display piece, and was astounded at how light and cheap it felt. I hate Monster's inflated prices as well as anyone, but you can't argue against the construction of their cables. And when someone's spending $2000-$5000 on A/V equipment, $30-$50 more for a better constructed cable is worth it, especially in when it comes to certain installations. If you're connecting a two devices and there will be no stress on the cable, sure, go Rocketfish, especially if you're a BBY employee - the employee purchase freeze has just been lifted. As for me, I'll be sticking to monoprice.com. Sometimes, in the case of the non-home theater guru, when they're spending money, they just want what they perceive as the best. Just like a PSP, it's piece of mind.

Moral of the story - Rocketfish should be belly up.
post #21 of 53 Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTrayne View Post

We've sold a ton of Rocketfish in our HT dept - top 50 in the company 9 months running - and I personally have sold a ton of it, but after the other day, will not further. A 4ft Rocketfish HDMI cable runs a customer $70. It runs an employee about $5. Considerable to Monster 800 series? No way. Did a service call the other day for a customer who simply tilted his LCD and the HDMI end (cheap plastic) snapped. Later that same day, I used an open item Rocketfish cable to hook up a display piece, and was astounded at how light and cheap it felt. I hate Monster's inflated prices as well as anyone, but you can't argue against the construction of their cables. And when someone's spending $2000-$5000 on A/V equipment, $30-$50 more for a better constructed cable is worth it, especially in when it comes to certain installations. If you're connecting a two devices and there will be no stress on the cable, sure, go Rocketfish, especially if you're a BBY employee - the employee purchase freeze has just been lifted. As for me, I'll be sticking to monoprice.com. Sometimes, in the case of the non-home theater guru, when they're spending money, they just want what they perceive as the best. Just like a PSP, it's piece of mind.

Moral of the story - Rocketfish should be belly up.

Your message makes me sad since I just bought a couple of Rocketfish HDMI cables today. Apart from the "stress" issue - is there is a problem in terms of the quality of the signal (my cables won't be stressed - but I'm concerned about the quality of the signal)? Robyn
post #22 of 53 Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM

Just a follow-up. I hooked everything up with the Rocketfish cables - and have had zero problems. Nice picture - nice audio. Happy customer. Robyn
post #23 of 53 Old 01-14-2007, 03:03 PM

I just bought myself a new LCD TV for christmas and went with the cogeco high def cable package.
Supplied with the cable box is a cheap 12' component video cable.

I went and bought the 4' rocketfish DVI to HDMI cable for $65 from F.S.
After a half hour side by side comparison of picture quality, I returned the Rocketfish cable.
The supplied comp. video cable was better than the $65 cable.

Sure they look nice but how many people see the back of your set up?

Capitalization is the difference between.. "I had to help my Uncle Jack off a horse" and I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.
post #24 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallee View Post

I just bought myself a new LCD TV for christmas and went with the cogeco high def cable package.
Supplied with the cable box is a cheap 12' component video cable.

I went and bought the 4' rocketfish DVI to HDMI cable for $65 from F.S.
After a half hour side by side comparison of picture quality, I returned the Rocketfish cable.
The supplied comp. video cable was better than the $65 cable.

Sure they look nice but how many people see the back of your set up?

I understand what your saying, however I assume your aware that HDMI carries a digital sound signal as opposed to running left and right analog RCA's in combination W/ RGB(component connects)

I prefer a one wire connect over a 5 wire connect plus my HDTV (sharp 32) recognizes the HDMI audio signal and has a specific setting for it.

Robyn I picked up the Rocketfish 8ft. open box for 45.00 today, hows the cable working for you as of today? I know I won't have a stress problem and if I do @ 45 dollars I'll return it or toss it........
post #25 of 53 Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn55 View Post

Just a follow-up. I hooked everything up with the Rocketfish cables - and have had zero problems. Nice picture - nice audio. Happy customer. Robyn

No surprise - just about all the HDMI cables are made in the same factories in China. There is very little difference (besides maybe retention, and the fancy nylon web on the outside) in a length under 15ft.
The cable and the connectors all come from China and vary mainly in wire gauge.
For any length under 15ft a cable with 28 AWG conductors will perform to 5Gb/s without a problem. If you pay more than $15 for an HDMI cable your paying for the molding and the name, not performance.
post #26 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 PM

I can tell you all about the Rocketfish cables I have, and my experience. Best Buy part # 7831876 four foot braided cable, look beefy and cost $65 each. The end connectors have no support at all if they are pushed at any level (lets say from pushing a receiver or other component into a cabinet) and hit a wall, even gently, the end connectors immediatelt snap off. Want to ruin one for the fun of it, just wiggle it a bit and it will fall off. Only held on by a single solder. Made very badly.

Looked for the web site. No email comments area. Called a customer service number and finally hung up atfter spending several minutes attempting english.

If you haen't bought them, dont.

Also check with your cable/satelite provider before going HDMI. I can't get a connection and had to go back to component. Cable co blocked my signal as the signal was "too strong" they are still having huge problems with HDMI. My new Sony receiver has HDMI inputs, but guess what, the 7.1 receiver can only use TV speakers when using HDMI inputs. Don't get the levels o stupidity that still surround these cables.
post #27 of 53 Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM

If you want a local source for cables, check out the Philips brand cables at WalMart and Menard's (a home-improvement store here in the Midwest). I'm using the Philips 6' HDMI and optical cables on my home theater setup. I'm happy with the quality of both. The HDMI cable was about 50% of the cost of the AR from Best Buy, while the optical cable was less than half the cost of a comparable Monster Cable (the Monster was slightly longer at 6.5') from Menard's. The Philips is also Chinese made.
post #28 of 53 Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turansformer View Post

You ever noticed that there are plenty of HD/SD comparisons, as well as high quality/low quality speaker setups in BB, yet there has never been a comparison of two identical TV's side by side, one with cables out of the box, and the other with $125 Monster Cables. There is a reason for that.

The reason is, many stores aren't proactive in their demoing skills. So I'll call your bluff here.

I ran two different shops using SAME length of Monster Z and Monster CL, and there was a difference clearly.

Two separate TVs also had a comparo: One plugged into your average powerstrip, and the other through an HTS3600. Differences--not subtle--all day long to the average Joe.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #29 of 53 Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Did Monster give you the powerstrip?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #30 of 53 Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 AM

quit being babies. learn to sell you nerds. if you need revenue for the day sell monster. if you need margin sell rocketfish. if the customer is die hard for the best, sell monster and if they refuse to spend money (probably because you cant sell) get them rocketfish. think ya can handle that?
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself