Component to Coax to Component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-08-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been searching for a bit now for a method to distribute HD signal via Component cables across an existing home, wired with coax connections.. which, if someone already has a method, I'd be most appreciative (am I just searching for the wrong terms?)

Is there a modulator available that will broadcast or convert the 3 cable component connection to a signal that could be run on coax, then converted back to 3 cable component on the other end?

The coax is rg6, and I'm wondering if I could amplify the signal right after conversion from component to coax to ensure it keeps it's strength through a long run?

I've looked at converting to a digital signal via coax:ethernet adapters (ala Gefen component extender).

From there, I looked at distributing the ethernet to coax using something like this Coax to Ethernet Bridge. Then reversing the process at one of the co-ax terminals. My question is that, since it's a digital signal travelling through the coax, it shouldn't disrupt the normal rf signal?

The only other signal travelling on the wiring is coming from a channelplus broadcasting on uhf channels 60-62.

If this method seems like it will work, that will be awesome. I just wish the guy paying me to do this would just hire someone to come run 3 dedicated rg6's.. would probably be cheaper too I'd think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-09-2006, 07:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Is there a modulator available that will broadcast or convert the 3 cable component connection to a signal that could be run on coax, then converted back to 3 cable component on the other end?
NO.

BTW, component video, composite and s-video all run over 75 Ohm coax cables.

Quote:
I've looked at converting to a digital signal via coax:ethernet adapters
These have nothing to do with ethernet, they simply use cat5 cable.

Quote:
From there, I looked at distributing the ethernet to coax using something like this Coax to Ethernet Bridge. Then reversing the process at one of the co-ax terminals. My question is that, since it's a digital signal travelling through the coax, it shouldn't disrupt the normal rf signal?
You don't have a packetised video signal, so this will not work.

Quote:
I just wish the guy paying me to do this would just hire someone to come run 3 dedicated rg6's
...you're getting paid for this?!
post #3 of 18 Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus
BTW, component video, composite and s-video all run over 75 Ohm coax cables.
Maybe I didn't clarify properly, I know they all run over coax. I meant to say, is there a modulator available that will broadcast or convert the 3 cable component connection to a signal that could be run on a SINGLE coax cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by targus
These have nothing to do with ethernet, they simply use cat5 cable.
So it's simply splitting the indivudial connections from each component cable to one of the wires within the cat5.. shoulda thought about that.. it was a late night last night.

Quote:
You don't have a packetised video signal, so this will not work.
again, late night, wasn't thinking fully

Quote:
...you're getting paid for this?!
yeah.. though this isn't my regular job as I think is obvious by now. I do all the IT work, but somehow got roped into doing this on the clock..

but essentially, I'm just trying to extend the HD signal over pre-existing single coax wiring to a downstairs television. Wanting to keep the hd receiver upstairs and out of site. I'd been reading about PulseLink having a product or are close to having a product that will digitize and transmit the signal, then I guess decode it at the other end? Just wanting an easy way to extend the HD.

I guess if nothing else, I may have to couple the one coax line with three and pull it through to run three seperate component signals directly to the room. just really trying to avoid having to do that.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-09-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
is there a modulator available that will broadcast or convert the 3 cable component connection to a signal that could be run on a SINGLE coax cable.
No, unless you convert the component to composite first and use an NTSC modulator....but then you lose the advantage of component signals, no HD etc.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-09-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, so then i'd be just as well off outputting to standard video and l+r audio to input through the channel plus.

well thanks anyways.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

my Component is Coax it says RG6/U Type Serial Digital Swept to 3GHZ Remee Products 4x Shield

isn't this coax I know it is over 75 feet from the source and there are 3 of them one Red one Blue one Green color jacket or coating on the cable for easy hook up no dought, but it looks great on my 42 LCD when I watch DVD's or HD content from the Direct TV reciver down stairs where the real big TV is and the HDMI plug from the Satelite

so how far can this cable be run or can I get a HDMI cable 75 feet or more in length for any where nere the price of this calbe I have which is something like 80 cents a foot for 3 runs of 75 feet each. I see HDMI cable for more than $200 for 12 feet

I want the retro skin back please
post #7 of 18 Old 09-11-2006, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, my issue is trying to combine all three signals for the HD into a single existing cable, then un-combing the single to thre three hd signals on the other end.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 AM

If it says RG6 on the cable, then it's coax. Trying to distribute three coax signals (component video) down one will not work. I don't know of any devices that are capable of this. There are devices that can do this over a Cat 5 cable with baluns, but I've never seen this done over coax. Looks like running 2 more coax is the best route.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-14-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I don't know of any devices that are capable of this
...other than an expensive ATSC modulator.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 PM

d
post #11 of 18 Old 12-06-2006, 10:13 PM

Those only do SD (5MHz BW), no HD.

edit:

The deleted post above was about a component to SDI and SDI to component convertor, that only did SD resolutions...which that poster didn't really understand.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-09-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney
my Component is Coax it says RG6/U Type Serial Digital Swept to 3GHZ Remee Products 4x Shield

isn't this coax I know it is over 75 feet from the source and there are 3 of them one Red one Blue one Green color jacket or coating on the cable for easy hook up no dought, but it looks great on my 42 LCD when I watch DVD's or HD content from the Direct TV reciver down stairs where the real big TV is and the HDMI plug from the Satelite

so how far can this cable be run or can I get a HDMI cable 75 feet or more in length for any where nere the price of this calbe I have which is something like 80 cents a foot for 3 runs of 75 feet each. I see HDMI cable for more than $200 for 12 feet
As Targus has pointed out, component video runs over 75ohm coax. So all the fancy component interconnects are simply variations of the same core cable with different insulation/shielding to get you to pay $$$ for their marketing department. So, to answer your first question (I think), you can run component over three RG6 coaxes at 75' with no problem.

For HDMI, you cannot run 75' without the use of signal boosters/amplifiers. HDMI spec is 45' (3 meters), so most manufacturers internal signal amplifiers can push the signal about that far before you start to get sparklies (loss of data).
post #13 of 18 Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM

There are DVI to fiber adapters that should let you run more than 75ft
check monoprice.com
post #14 of 18 Old 12-16-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell-edgett
If it says RG6 on the cable, then it's coax. Trying to distribute three coax signals (component video) down one will not work. I don't know of any devices that are capable of this. There are devices that can do this over a Cat 5 cable with baluns, but I've never seen this done over coax. Looks like running 2 more coax is the best route.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that if you do choose to pull more cables, that you will have to pull 4 more, for a total of 5, not a total of 3. If you are putting the HD box upstairs, then you will need 3 for component (R,B,G) and two for audio (R,W). Just wanted to add this before you attempt to pull any wires.

edit:
I just noticed the date of the original post. I guess this doesn't matter anymore as I assume the issue has been dealt with already.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 09:30 AM

If they're using SPDIF...then you don't need two extra coax.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
If they're using SPDIF...then you don't need two extra coax.
First, you would have to have a digital audio input on your tv, which not all tv's will have. Even so, you would have to have a total of more then 3 coax wires. 3 would handle just the video portion.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 PM

Why don't you read the thread, for a clue. :)
post #18 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Why don't you read the thread, for a clue. :)

Ok, since I am missing where there is any mention of any audio signal being passed along, why don't you enlighten me?
Closed Thread Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself