ssabripo's cat5e based DIY Speaker cables Tutorial: Audiophile wires on the cheap! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You build cables?

I build the stuff they connect to.

I also know what a multimeter and 'scope are, and I can solder....but who cares?
Do you understand differential signalling yet?

BTW...when I worked in broadcasting, pulling and terminating 300 cables in one day wasn't uncommon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

it doesn't matter if the wires are twisted or not. The reason for the twist is to hopefully ensure that noise is induced equally into both conductors....this can happen even if they are not twisted.

Yep, this is true. While simply using a twisted pair can reduce magnetic interference by minimizing the loop area, parallel conductors with equally induced noise voltages and impedances to ground would be just as effective as twisted wires with those same voltages and impedances with regards to noise immunity at the receiver.
post #93 of 104 Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:

And the original point of the proper way to connect a shield is applicable to an UNBALANCED interconnect made of twisted pair.

Why would you use twisted pair for an unbalanced interconnect? I don't think you've ever "built" a cable in your life. I realise you don't have a degree...no need to post that, it's obvious.
post #94 of 104 Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

Why would you use twisted pair for an unbalanced interconnect?

Simply twisting the wires does provide a degree of protection against magnetic field interference, even if the circuit is unbalanced. That's because of the minimizing of the loop area, not any cancellation.
post #95 of 104 Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

Simply twisting the wires does provide a degree of protection against magnetic field interference, even if the circuit is unbalanced. That's because of the minimizing of the loop area, not any cancellation.

Also, using a conductor rather than shield minimizes resistance in the ground 'return path' which is favorable. I'm making some new interconnects out of 5 braided 30ga hookup wire for each conductor twisted and then shielded. I'll A/B between them and my current AR coax interconnects and post the comparison.
post #96 of 104 Old 01-03-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Also, using a conductor rather than shield minimizes resistance in the ground 'return path'

Shields are also conductors...otherwise they wouldn't work very well. They're usually of heavier guage then the signal carrying conductors which makes it a better return. You should really do some more research.
post #97 of 104 Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Y'all might like to read Bill Whitlock's friendly presentation on balanced audio at http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwr...lock_pnw05.pdf

It addresses the benefits of using a 3 conductor cable even with a single ended source (with caveats) when driving differential inputs; the issues of using the shield as a signal return; and the benefits of twisted pair (or even star-quad) in rejecting magnetic hum pickup.

Certs is a breath mint....Certs is a candy mint...
post #98 of 104 Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Lot's of good info in there. He writes some great white papers. They should be mandatory reading.
post #99 of 104 Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM

Liked: 11
I'm considering make a set of cables from some left over cat 5 cable I have I've read a lot of DIY's on the net and some are far more complicated than this

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

http://www.mejiatryti.com/SpeakerCable/fivebraid.html

Do any of these methods have advantages? I'm not afraid to invest some time into the construction if they are worth it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
post #100 of 104 Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
duvetyne:
I understand what you are saying as I'm an electrical/computer engineer in my last quarter of college. After reading the DIY on building the Cat5 speaker cable, the first thought that came to my mind is how the noise is being purportedly canceled since speaker wires are obviously unbalanced. People need to understand that Cat5 cables used as ethernet cables are balanced, meaning the noise is actively canceled by the receiver aka NIC in the computer, but the same is not true when used as speaker cable.

So how is using Cat5 cable better than using regular cheapo speaker cable other than it being cheap and having low resistance and inductance which is a tradeoff for higher capacitance?

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/c...and-conclusion
post #101 of 104 Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I'm nearing completion on a 27-pair CAT6 braided version of this DIY project.

More photos and comments here: Flickr Photo Stream

It's all CAT6 grade pairs, but have been sourced from a Monoprice spool and some leftover white jacketed CAT6 (Draft 7) wire from a previous project. All are 23g wires, which will yield a total connector cross section of about 9 gauge when completed.

The craziest part of this all is, I'm not making these for myself, but rather as a gift to a friend overseas!

post #102 of 104 Old 05-07-2009, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Soon I will be building some speaker wire of my own and I have a good idea of where to get most of the materials I'd need or want, but I can't even find a name for one item I am seeking so I figured I would post my query here.

I am looking for metal guides/sleeves for the section of wire where the split from the main run to the negative and positive lines occurs. They serve the same purpose as cable pants, but are metal instead of heat-shrink.

You can see what I'm talking about at the following link:

Linkage

Look at the speaker wire starting in the fourth picture and you will see what I'm talking about.

Any clue what these things are called?

Any clue where to buy something like that?

I've browsed all of the usual suspects (parts-express, Ram Electronics, Wire care, et al) and I can't find anything. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #103 of 104 Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post

Soon I will be building some speaker wire of my own and I have a good idea of where to get most of the materials I'd need or want, but I can't even find a name for one item I am seeking so I figured I would post my query here.

I am looking for metal guides/sleeves for the section of wire where the split from the main run to the negative and positive lines occurs. They serve the same purpose as cable pants, but are metal instead of heat-shrink.

You can see what I'm talking about at the following link:

Linkage

Look at the speaker wire starting in the fourth picture and you will see what I'm talking about.

Any clue what these things are called?

Any clue where to buy something like that?

I've browsed all of the usual suspects (parts-express, Ram Electronics, Wire care, et al) and I can't find anything. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey fistofsouth, I spent a long time looking for those as well. The only ones I could find that were easily attainable were at AV-Outlet. A little pricey though, which didn't stop me unfortunately (I spent way too much making fancy looking speaker cables).
post #104 of 104 Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelwerx View Post

Hey fistofsouth, I spent a long time looking for those as well. The only ones I could find that were easily attainable were at AV-Outlet. A little pricey though, which didn't stop me unfortunately (I spent way too much making fancy looking speaker cables).

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't follow your link, but I did find the site on-line. Did you use the ViaBlue Custom Cable Splitters/Boots?
They are pricey, but were you otherwise satisfied?
How do they work? Just take them apart, insert cable and screw back together?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page