Replacement Power Cord - Panasonic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 42" Panasonic came with a 6' detachable power cord. It looks like a regular heavy duty power cord you'd find on a PC but has a Ferite core on one end.

I'm mounting the plasma on the wall and want to replace the cord with a 3' version. I can find the cord I need at Monoprice and other places but none with the Ferite.

My question is, do I need it? The power from the wall already has a surge suppressor on it and then it's going through a Monster HTFS1000 surge/Filter.

Here's the Monoprice version - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

And here's another that lists the cord at 14 ga. I cannot tell the guage on the Monoprice version.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...m=TRIBDCPSS030

Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Why do you want to go with a shorter cable? I have never had the need when hanging a tv to use a shorter cable then what was supplied.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Its a lot easier to hide a 3' cable behind a panel than a 6' is all. It's busy enough back there with all the other cables.

Erik
post #4 of 9 Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 PM

I don't know if those ferrite cores are really necessary. RF/EMI suppression I guess. AudioQust used it on their power cables, but they were expensive. Might still find some cheap at hcmaudio. I think that PSAudio impregnates the entire outer shield with ferrite. Can probably get a 1 meter prelude for around $80. Best bang for the buck with ferrite cores is the Acoustic Research PR900. Probably $30. People give AR a hard time, but I like their stuff.

Really hard to tell about the options. Power cables are not a popular topic. I'm ducking, weaving and dodging as I speak to you. But you should be safe as long as you're clear that you're not looking for video quality improvement, and just a shorter cable.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The ferrite beads or sleaves are inductors used for for noise surpression. If you buy an aftermarket power cord and then discover that it is a noise entry point, you can buy an aftermarket snap-on bead, similar to the ones that Panasonic includes in the box with its plasma displays.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, you can buy snap-on Ferrite Cores, if you need one.:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #7 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. For the record, yes, I'm simply looking to use a shorter cable than the one supplied by the manufacturer. I like the idea of adding a snap-on if I notice any noise. Personally, I doubt I'll have much though. Our power is faily clean here in SoCal and I've just finished running a dedicated 20-amp, 12 ga. line to where I'm mounting the TV. The AC line is running through a Leviton surge suppression outlet and then through a MC surge/filter block.

I'm wondering if the Ferrite core on the stock cable can be removed and added to the 3' cable.

That all said, we ARE talking about AC power here and a Plasma uses a bit of it. So should I go with the $1.25 cord from Monoprice which is only 18ga. or opt for the $14 cable with 14 ga. wire?

Erik
post #8 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I could say go for the #14- nothing beats beefy wires.

Not withstanding the power rating on your plasma display, unless you are running it a torch settings it draws far less than the rated power.

In two conductor extension cords -#18 has an ampacity of 10 amps and #14 of 18 amps.

What gauge is the original cord? If the 6 footer you have now does not get warm to the touch it is large enough.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #9 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

I could say go for the #14- nothing beats beefy wires.

Not withstanding the power rating on your plasma display, unless you are running it a torch settings it draws far less than the rated power.

In two conductor extension cords -#18 has an ampacity of 10 amps and #14 of 18 amps.

What gauge is the original cord? If the 6 footer you have now does not get warm to the touch it is large enough.

Its really hard to tell what the EOM cord guage is without cutting it open. It's pretty thick though and never gets warm.

I like what I read about the AR PR-900 mentioned above. Problem is I can't find a good image of it to see if it's got the end I need. I also can't find a ga rating on for it or find it on the AR web site.

Erik
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page