Glass TV Stand Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys I have a simple question about my stand that my plasma sits on.I currently have a 50 inch plasma that weighs about 110 pounds that sits on glass that is 3/8 of a inch thick.I will be buying the new 58 inch Panny when it is released.....my question is I want to use the same stand but I am concerned about the 3/8 piece of glass holding the new 58 that weighs 165 pounds.I am thinking of getting a thicker piece of glass cut in tempered glass.Is there different types or qualities of tempered glass?.....I am thinking of 1/2 inch....any suggestions? Thanks...Here are some pics of the stand....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-11-2007, 02:34 PM

I wouldn't risk it. Take a look at this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713200
I had a glass stand myself till I saw this thread. Needless to say i returned it and went with a wood stand. Tempered glass isn't the safest or most reliable platform for heavy expensive equipment IMHO. If you are gonna stick with glass i would definitely go with the 1/2 inch. Hope this helps some.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

I remember reading that thread...That is the first time I ever heard that happening so I just figured it was just a freaky thing....I have had my 50 on this stand for over 3 years and no problems....I really want to use this stand so a thicker piece of glass is my only answer.....Thanks for the fast reply
post #4 of 5 Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 PM

Yeah I am sure it is not very common. I's sure the glass itself is pretty strong just that if it gets a crack you are in trouble. I just wanted to make sure you saw that thread. Can you find the lbs the glass u have now is rated for?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-11-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I don't remember what the glass is rated for but I looked at similar ones and they were rated up to 154 pounds.They did not state thickness of glass.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page