Coax Type-F Tools (TV Cabling) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've got my new HDTV and am going to set up an attic Antenna for local reception. I'm looking at buying some cabling tools online, but need some help, as I can't have them in my hands to make sure I'm getting the right items.

I'm running coax cable from my antenna to the wall next to my TV. Less then 40'. I think I need Type-F tools, correct?

I have a cable stripper already.

Any suggestions as to a good online retailer and the tools I'll need?

Need crimper, cable and connectors (standard US TV connection/hook-up).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
partsexpress.com sells most of the stuff you'll need. For f-type connections I just got a crimper and F-connectors from Home Depot. For RCA or BNCs you could think about investing in a Canare crimp setup. It sounds like you're talking about a small number of cables so there's no sense in spending a bundle (in fact, it might be cheaper to just buy some good ones from an online retailer like Blue Jeans cable, etc.).
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Liked: 13
Heres what I bought, works great! http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...51&rak=360-046
post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 PM

Skip the crimp kind & go straight for the compression type fittings. Get the Zenith compression tool from Lowes($12) & pick up some Digicon fittings off eBay. Same cost as crimp, better connection.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2007, 03:00 PM

I use Canare stuff every day at work. Its great for studio stuff, but its kind of overkill for an antenna in the attic. Ive heard a few cable tv installers complain about the Canare f-type connectors not making a good connection before, but its usually cheap wall plates not making a good connection on the center pin.

For anything F-type I prefer the compression connectors like the others were talking about. They are usually more water proof and are more corrosion resistant.

If all your doing is making a single 40' run I would just buy something pre-made. You might have to get a 50' roll, but that will let you play around with antenna placement in the attic. Gives you some wiggle room for the difference between guestimation and as the wire runs.

-Sean
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page