My flexi Rack :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

Well I decided to build a flexi rack (which i saw on this forum) and all went well, however I wasent very pleased with the paint finish that I got. (looked prety bad)

Anyway, I thought of using somthing other than MDF for the shelves and came up with using plastic peg board.

This is perfect I think as its already black - and has lots of little holes in it which should aid airflow around my equipent! . - No idea if anyone has done this before, but it has turned out great I think.

So anyway here is a photo.

Incase anyone is interested, the peg boards came from B&Q and were actualy discounted when I got them today (£10ish) for 4.

I actualy dident bother cutting them down as the size they come at seemed to be fine for me. (12" X 24" I think it was)

I doubled them up for the main shelves as I found using just one would cause it to bend to much.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 543
I think it's fine and creative Chris. I'm still not so sure that you won't have deformation problems down the road once something has been sitting on it for a while, but then the shelves probably didn't cost all that much anyways. I don't know how it works over there where you are (England?) but sometimes you'll find that various lumberyards that display kitchens and baths, and for that matter places devoted to kitchen and baths or countertops, have stuff that that's been discontinued and moved into the warehose. So, for example, you might run across things like synthetic granite tops, Corian, or something else that's going dirt cheap.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I think it's fine and creative Chris. I'm still not so sure that you won't have deformation problems down the road once something has been sitting on it for a while, but then the shelves probably didn't cost all that much anyways. I don't know how it works over there where you are (England?) but sometimes you'll find that various lumberyards that display kitchens and baths, and for that matter places devoted to kitchen and baths or countertops, have stuff that that's been discontinued and moved into the warehose. So, for example, you might run across things like synthetic granite tops, Corian, or something else that's going dirt cheap.

Hi ya,

You are correct, I did have deformation problems , Basicly the PS3 on the second shelf caused it to bow a bit. It wasent realy an issue as i had a metal av amp underneath and just put a couple of wooden spacers on top of it which you cant see and that fixed the problem.

I can see this being a problem for others though.

Things like my Nintendo Wii etc dont seem to be a problem as its prety light.

It is a good idea about the cheap worktops etc, but for my project looks wasent such a big issue (although i dident want it to look awfull) as its located in a cubard, I liked the idea of having the holes in the shelves to aid airflow.

Thanks for your input!

Chris
post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 AM

what did you use for the rest of the rack ? eg the nuts and pole things?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Looks like threaded rods w/ nuts and washers.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page