Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Good for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a set of Klipsch HD500 speakers and found that the spring clips don't close tight enough to grasp bare speaker wire. I'm assuming that means either they are defective set or require one of these banana type plugs. Which type can I use for the spring loaded speaker jacks? Also, my AVR ( Onkyo 609 ) uses the wrap around terminals for the speaker wire. Any adaptors for those?
post #33 of 41 Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by docshmok View Post

I recently bought a set of Klipsch HD500 speakers and found that the spring clips don't close tight enough to grasp bare speaker wire. I'm assuming that means either they are defective set or require one of these banana type plugs. Which type can I use for the spring loaded speaker jacks? Also, my AVR ( Onkyo 609 ) uses the wrap around terminals for the speaker wire. Any adaptors for those?

The Onkyo AVR TX-NR609 will accecpt a standard banana plug. It just inserts into the end of speaker terminal...like so http://greatchillyfly.hubpages.com/h...e-Banana-Plugs

As for the spring loaded clips on the Klipsch HD500's they sound defective. Not sure if those can be replaced.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #34 of 41 Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks I realized that about the receiver after I posted. As for the speakers, I used a pin-type adaptor from RS and they are a tight fit but get in enough to work. I dont like the fact that they are not a good fit and are a short waiting to happen so I am returning them and ordered some from monoprice to see if any will work. If not I shall return the speakers to PCRichards for a different set. It'll be a hassle though so I hope the pins work.
post #35 of 41 Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Liked: 11
I'm really surprised more people haven't chimed in regarding the WBT banana plugs. Yes, they are expensive, but they are absolutely worth it. I tried several of the cheaper variety and all they did was degrade the sound, compared to bare wire (drop off in treble was always very noticeable). If anything, the WBT plugs actually improved the sound quality, at least the bass anyway. Now how that is possible, I have no idea, but I'll take the results any day. I use them on all my speakers in a 7.1 setup, and I consider them a component now. If you factor in how long they will last, their expense is really rather practical.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
post #36 of 41 Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Authority View Post

I'm really surprised more people haven't chimed in regarding the WBT banana plugs. Yes, they are expensive, but they are absolutely worth it. I tried several of the cheaper variety and all they did was degrade the sound, compared to bare wire (drop off in treble was always very noticeable). If anything, the WBT plugs actually improved the sound quality, at least the bass anyway. Now how that is possible, I have no idea, but I'll take the results any day. I use them on all my speakers in a 7.1 setup, and I consider them a component now. If you factor in how long they will last, their expense is really rather practical.

Serious ???
Quote:

I tried several of the cheaper variety and all they did was degrade the sound, compared to bare wire (drop off in treble was always very noticeable)

Well if you think the plugs are the weak link then why dont you solder your speaker wires directly to the speaker or crossover using pure silver solder??? Have you ever taken apart a speaker ??? The majority of speaker manufactures use cheap, small 14-18 AWG wire from the binding posts to the crossover to the speaker.

post #37 of 41 Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Serious ???

Dead serious!

I did repeated testing, and every time the WBT bp's that I have provided more consistant bass response. For what it is worth, the metallic content of the bp makes considerably more difference than the outer plating, such as gold, etc. That is why most gold plated bp's are a complete waste of money (other than for simplistic use), as they use gold plating on relatively cheap metal materials. I convinced several of my friends to get rid of their cheap MC bp's after I showed them how much better bare wire sounded.

Quote:

Well if you think the plugs are the weak link then why dont you solder your speaker wires directly to the speaker or crossover using pure silver solder??? Have you ever taken apart a speaker ??? The majority of speaker manufactures use cheap, small 14-18 AWG wire from the binding posts to the crossover to the speaker.

Actually, I'm quite aware of the inner wiring/parts used for the majority of speakers, mine being no different, as far as I know. I suppose it comes down to the weak link in the chain.

And no, I'm not about to solder anything to my speaker terminals, thank you very much.

post #38 of 41 Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM

I got something else that will give you as you put it
Quote:

provided more consistant bass response

.....http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/...dark_field.htm. It should also give it tighter midbass.. LOL

post #39 of 41 Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Wow, I WONDER IF THOSE WILL DO AS MUCH FOR MY SOUND AS THE GREEN FELT TIPPED RING AROUND THE EDGES OF ALL 1,000+ CDS THAT I HAVE (that took a while), AND THE MAGIC STONE CD TRANSPORT ISOLATORS?!

If they weren't so ridiculously expensive I would consider a set, only because the Elrod power cords I have don't flex well, and I have to use small boxes, etc., to support them. These might look slightly better, but I'll come up with something on my own, thanks.

post #40 of 41 Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

please tell me you are joking... please...

Quote:

Dead serious!

I did repeated testing, and every time the WBT bp's that I have provided more consistant bass response. For what it is worth, the metallic content of the bp makes considerably more difference than the outer plating, such as gold, etc. That is why most gold plated bp's are a complete waste of money (other than for simplistic use), as they use gold plating on relatively cheap metal materials. I convinced several of my friends to get rid of their cheap MC bp's after I showed them how much better bare wire sounded.

after reading the above, i guess not...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #41 of 41 Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I just use these http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0534E.html...which you can find for cheap on ebay.

+1

Can't hear any difference between these and the supposed "best", and my speakers don't get moved around much. Guess that's why mine aren't "broken" after a few years either.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page