No "ground" in old apt. - do power filters on surge protector still work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in an old apartment and whenever I plug in a surge protector it shows that I have no ground, as the light does not light up showing a ground. Do the noise filters for the power still work even though I have no ground? Thanks

these are the ones I have: http://monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1900 and http://monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1218
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most suppression networks require some sort of ground connection to divert unwanted energy such as noise or surges. Without proper grounding, many of the protection modes L-G and N-G will not work.

Installation of a ground system would be your best bet.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

is that something that is hard to do, are there any links to products or directions on how to do something of that sort? Thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by regchamp View Post

is that something that is hard to do, are there any links to products or directions on how to do something of that sort? Thanks

Since it's an apartment, and I assume you don't own the building, not sure there is much you can do.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

my dad owns the building, its one apt. on top of an office building, so I can do whatever I want with it - any suggestions ?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Just get an adapter and connect the ground wire on the adapter to the screw on the outlet plate. It's what the adapters (cheater plugs) were designed for. Or am I misunderstanding you and there is a three prong outlet that indicates no ground?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

there is a three prong outlet that has no ground
Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Liked: 11
I would also like to know what an easy solution to this is. I live in an older house and most of the outlets do not have a ground wire. My old monster power conditioner has a "ground ok" light on it, and it doesn't come on. I am using those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters, with the little metal piece that hangs off and touches the screw on the wall plate, still no ground though.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Call an electrican to be safe, but if it were me I would start at the main panel (removing the front cover) and checking to see if there is a ground bus and if that bus is grounded (ground rod, water pipe etc) and bonded to the neutral bus. It's hard to imagine even in a somewhat older house this not being the case. My house built in 1945 had a well grounded fuse panel even though it only had two prong outlets in most rooms. I changed most of them out for three prongs and replaced the fuses with a breaker panel. Identify the breaker or fuse that services the outlet of interest and check to see if the wire has a ground associated with it. Romex has a ground wire and older BX cable is grounded via the BX conduit to the panel. I would remove the wall plate at the outlet and check to see if the ground connection on the outlet is connected to the outlet box (usually a bare copper wire screwed to the outlet box) and if the box is securly connected to the conduit or ground wire commming from the main panel. I would verify the connections electrically with a an AC voltmeter as there should be 110 Vac between hot and ground.

You get the picture. It's fairly easy to see where the safety ground stops or is disconnected if you know what your looking for. If I didn't, I would call an electrican.