MoviePass Continues Quest To Become The Netflix Of The Big Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After a shaky launch, the all-you-can-watch movie theater subscription service, MoviePass, is still trying to take off in a big way.

Quote:
As on-demand services become more mainstream, it seems like there's little we can't do through a monthly subscription fee, from listening to music, to streaming TV shows and movies, to choosing an outfit. Now, after an earlier, botched attempt, MoviePass is trying to bring the idea of all-you-can-eat to the movies.

MoviePass, which opens up to 75,000 wait-listed users today, is an invite-only subscription-based service that lets you pay between $19.99 and $34.99 a month to watch up to one in-theater movie per day. MoviePass users can attend any theater nationally, as long as it accepts major credit cards. (Drive-ins and cash-only theaters are excluded.) Subscription prices are based on MoviePass's three zoning areas: Members who live by theaters that charge an average of $8 to $10 per ticket can subscribe to the $19.99 tier, while those in Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco, where tickets can run around $13 to $15 a pop, pay for the most expensive, $34.99 plan.

Quote:
MoviePass resurrected itself in an attempt to end-run around the touchy theaters, this time with a new partner in Hollywood Movie Money, which offers promotional vouchers for a large network of affiliate theaters (including AMC's). Under the new partnership, MoviePass members could print out a voucher at home and bring it with them to the theater. Venture-backed MoviePass ate up the price difference between what it made in subscription fees and what regular tickets would cost to make sure the theaters got paid in full. But MoviePass confirms the Hollywood Movie Money partnership has since dissolved, and that the two services are no longer affiliated with one another.

So with no theater or ticket brokerage partners, how does MoviePass plan on surviving? Its newest workaround is a MoviePass-branded payment card that members will use like a regular credit card to purchase tickets at theater kiosks. Starting today, MoviePass members will use its new iOS app to select a theater, a movie, and a showtime. Once you're within 100 yards of the selected theater, you can check in within the app, which activates your MoviePass debit card using geolocation technology.

Quote:
One big caveat of MoviePass's model is it doesn't let you opt out of your monthly subscription during off-peak months. Unlike Netflix viewership, theatrical attendance tends to heavily peak twice a year, during Oscars season and the summer blockbusters. But MoviePass doesn't offer the option to skip certain months--say, March, when decent releases trickle out.

Quote:
"Today's consumers are much more used to subscription services than they are with pay-as-you-go," he says. "And people want to see things on the big screen, but there are still a lot of reasons to stay at home. We want to decrease those reasons."

What do you think? Would you pay a subscription service for the theater experience?

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow AVS Forums on

Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff?
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Liked: 11
Interesting concept. I don't see enough movies to be worth it though. And that's mainly because most of the movies coming out now either suck or are a remake or are a sucky remake.
dean l likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 16
I would have been all over this as a kid. Now, very few movies inspire me to go to the theater.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wonder what format and quality they are in
post #5 of 16 Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I think it's a band-aid fix that doesn't solve the root of the problem. Yes, money is coming in, people are getting a better deal than pay-as-you-go, empty seats are getting filled up and people are seeing movies that may not normally attend and be surprised by how much they liked them. The problem is that even with this, many people have fantastic setups at home that rival the theater without any of the headaches like morons texting during the movie, commercials pre-movie, not being able to pause the movie to take a piss, no alcohol, etc.

The reality is that theaters need to be vastly technologically superior to the home, and this is not the case at this time. Why do you think arcades disappeared? Home consoles became as good if not better than the arcades. I see this happening with movie theaters.
jikkjack likes this.

post #6 of 16 Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
got excited for a second and thought this was a streaming service for in theater movies at home, but it's a pass for me, who has time to see a movie in theaters a day anyway
post #7 of 16 Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Wonder what format and quality they are in

It would be in Theater format... You actually use this pass to go to a movie theater and watch a movie. It's not a streaming video service.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 193
The iOS app thing seems too complicated. I could imagine a lot of frustration involved with driving to the movie and it not working properly and either forking over the $10 since you're there or returning home mad as hell.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
The whole reason I built a home theater is so I wouldn't have to go to the local cineplex anymore. My setup is vastly superior to my town's severly outdated local movie craphole.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

The whole reason I built a home theater is so I wouldn't have to go to the local cineplex anymore. My setup is vastly superior to my town's severly outdated local movie craphole.

I'm sorry your local theaters suck. My local theaters are superior to any home theater unless they have 4K and more color depth which I know they don't.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

... The problem is that even with this, many people have fantastic setups at home that rival the theater without any of the headaches like morons texting during the movie, commercials pre-movie, not being able to pause the movie to take a piss, no alcohol, etc.

This!!! I go out to see two movies a year at most. My home theater is more comfortable, has better sound and PQ than any theater I've been to in years.

A Subscription Service that streamed very high PQ and audio of first run movies would be very interesting.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I agree even a decent price of maybe 30 40 bucks for the viewing I would bite. I mean after all 3d movie plus the old lady + food and drink and ur at 40+
post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 10
From what I can gather it's a different price depending on how much movies cost in your city.

If anyone here has an invite to send out PM me. I'd be interested in what the DC rate was.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenemissing View Post

From what I can gather it's a different price depending on how much movies cost in your city.
If anyone here has an invite to send out PM me. I'd be interested in what the DC rate was.

I don't have any invites to give out, but the price offered to me was $39.99/month in the DC area (Vienna, VA).

- Lou

post #15 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
For 3 people that means $120 and for that money I can buy 12 used blu-rays which I can watch back-to-back if I want to.

The deal is no longer a deal when you can only watch a movie a day.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #16 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Liked: 14
I have a good home theater but still enjoy the giant screen communal experience at my local cinema. Especially the film/IMAX house.
My wife and I would subscribe to this service for sure.
I usually only buy BR discs after seeing a movie on the big screen anyway.
Hope it comes to FL.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page