New Boxee TV Delivers Live TV Broadcasts, DVR and More - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Could this be the all-in-one device that will finally allow us to ditch our cable provider?
Quote:
The Verge has obtained photos of Boxee TV, a device that aims to combine over-the-air live TV broadcasts, DVR functionality, and web apps into a single home theater solution. It's a markedly different strategy than the one Boxee took with its first foray into the living room. Boxee Box, launched in 2010, managed to attract a small subset of cord cutters to the company's media center platform, tallying 200,000 active users as of April. But a lack of TV integration immediately limited its mass appeal. Now the company is taking another stab at convincing you to wave goodbye to your cable subscription, insisting that OTA programming is all most viewers really need.

What about the hardware?
Quote:
The new hardware (also manufactured by D-Link) sheds Boxee Box's angled black cube in favor of a form factor that resembles competing products from Apple, Roku, and others. But what Boxee's latest gadget loses in character, it stands to gain in functionality. Whereas the current Boxee Box requires a separately-sold dongle to watch live television, the new box carries a TV tuner (complete with coax input) right inside its matte black casing — an external antenna is also said to be included. It's here that Boxee seems to be launching a full-scale assault against the traditional cable model, imploring users to "watch more free tv" and "stop spending money on stuff you don't watch" on the device's packaging.

The additionn of DVR and internet apps.
Quote:
To make that live TV aspect more enticing, Boxee has thrown in DVR capabilities. Our tipster hasn't had an opportunity to give recording a run-through, but a survey delivered to beta participants hints that you'll be able to watch content across multiple devices — likely through Boxee's companion smartphone app. Thankfully Boxee hasn't forgotten about your personal media library, with the new hardware providing similar network streaming abilities to those found in the present model. Yes, you'll still be able to play those 1080p Blu-ray rips.

So what do you think of the Boxee TV?

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Sounds all very interesting ,I sure hope this delivers as, I'm quite done with my cable provider myself...

Djoel
post #3 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Now that Ceton has abandoned the Q that they were building, this announcement comes just in time...
post #4 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
I made the jump quite awhile ago from cable, into a roku for my set where my PS3 is not.

One of the best decisions ive made, and it has introducedme to shows ive wanted to watch but never watched before
post #5 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If they gave something like this a decent browser, it could replace 95% of what I use my HTPC for anyway. And I'm assuming it'll be cheaper and a LOT easier to keep in tip-top shape. As soon as somebody gets that formula right, I think there's a big market out there waiting for them.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM

I just hope they cut a discount for us 200,000 beta testers of the original box that still is flaky and will probably never be improved. Works most of the time, but it has some very annoying glitches and tends to go haywire from time to time.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
If you ditch your cable company, what internet are you going to use with this? rolleyes.gif

But seriously, this looks very interesting.
Bluray rips? No cinavia?
post #8 of 20 Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So...Will this just do regular over the air T.V? Right now I'm only getting like 18 channels with an antenna. Hope this would net more. Too bad no FX or AMC with this thing.

post #9 of 20 Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
as long as the browser works with flash sites then it would be good. if we can play our own stuff it would rule
post #10 of 20 Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Live OTA tv are the channels I basically never watch so does not appeal to those like me..
post #11 of 20 Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

Live OTA tv are the channels I basically never watch so does not appeal to those like me..

Because watching live events (like the Super Bowl and the Olympics) sucks, right? rolleyes.gif
post #12 of 20 Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 14
Some of the satellite receivers for receiving unscrambled stuff already out there contain the ability to stream internet. They have phone connectors on their back panels.

I have one, but I so far haven't used it for internet tv. I know the technology for it is advancing rapidly on multiple fronts.

I know some guys like Boxee for some applications. I think I'll wire up my receiver to my modem and see what happens.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

Now that Ceton has abandoned the Q that they were building, this announcement comes just in time...

Can you tell me where you saw this? The article on missing remote, while it's not the best news, it says it's been delayed pending further information on Windows 8 embedded and the inclusion of MCE. The Echo beta units started shipping today.

I'm not so sure I'd lump the ceton Q into the same category as the Boxee, at least not until Boxee is available with a cable card tuner, now, that would be interesting, until then.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #14 of 20 Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

Can you tell me where you saw this? The article on missing remote, while it's not the best news, it says it's been delayed pending further information on Windows 8 embedded and the inclusion of MCE. The Echo beta units started shipping today.
I'm not so sure I'd lump the ceton Q into the same category as the Boxee, at least not until Boxee is available with a cable card tuner, now, that would be interesting, until then.

Here is the link to the post, and there is a lot of follow-on discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386489/ceton-announces-new-6-tuner-outboard-whole-house-dvr-system/0_100#post_22456942

For ease of reference:

Ceton Q Update

Since previewing the Q at CES in January we’ve learned more about Microsoft’s plans for Windows Embedded, the operating system on which the Ceton Q is based (at CES we demonstrated the Q running on Windows Embedded Standard 7). While Windows Media Center is available with the consumer version of Windows 8, it is still unclear whether Media Center will be offered in the next version of Windows Embedded. We expected that question would have been resolved by now but it’s hasn’t. So, what to do???

We’ve been discussing a few different options internally for a while and frankly we haven’t decided the best path forward yet. What we have decided is that the Ceton Q as previewed at CES will not launch this year as we planned 10 months ago. It’s possible the Q will launch in 2013, either as initially envisioned or perhaps re-envisioned, but we can’t guarantee that at this point. We know there is a ton of interest in the Q and that this news will be disappointing to a lot of you but we think it’s important to be upfront about where things stand.

Ultimately, we want to make sure that we deliver great products that customers will love for years to come. Given the flux at Microsoft around some of the key components we were relying on, we simply don’t feel we can do that with the Q at this point.

http://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=d8df9c2734d4388754bd41fd3&id=c543e133b0

Mark
post #15 of 20 Old 10-11-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

If you ditch your cable company, what internet are you going to use with this? rolleyes.gif
Bluray rips? No cinavia?

For most of us, cable is shorthand for cable/sattelite/Fiber. It certainly is possible to drop your "Pay TV" service while retaining internet service, often at a huge savings. Charter Cable, for example, offers an "internet only" option that is fast enough to stream 1080p at 20 bucks a month cheaper than their cheapest TV plan.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

Because watching live events (like the Super Bowl and the Olympics) sucks, right? rolleyes.gif

You're assuming that he watches sports. Right? rolleyes.gif
post #17 of 20 Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Here is the link to the post, and there is a lot of follow-on discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386489/ceton-announces-new-6-tuner-outboard-whole-house-dvr-system/0_100#post_22456942
For ease of reference:
Ceton Q Update
Since previewing the Q at CES in January we’ve learned more about Microsoft’s plans for Windows Embedded, the operating system on which the Ceton Q is based (at CES we demonstrated the Q running on Windows Embedded Standard 7). While Windows Media Center is available with the consumer version of Windows 8, it is still unclear whether Media Center will be offered in the next version of Windows Embedded. We expected that question would have been resolved by now but it’s hasn’t. So, what to do???
We’ve been discussing a few different options internally for a while and frankly we haven’t decided the best path forward yet. What we have decided is that the Ceton Q as previewed at CES will not launch this year as we planned 10 months ago. It’s possible the Q will launch in 2013, either as initially envisioned or perhaps re-envisioned, but we can’t guarantee that at this point. We know there is a ton of interest in the Q and that this news will be disappointing to a lot of you but we think it’s important to be upfront about where things stand.
Ultimately, we want to make sure that we deliver great products that customers will love for years to come. Given the flux at Microsoft around some of the key components we were relying on, we simply don’t feel we can do that with the Q at this point.
http://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=d8df9c2734d4388754bd41fd3&id=c543e133b0
Mark

Bummer, thanks Mark.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #18 of 20 Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Just one example of an issue here. You can't stream any of the ESPN streams if you have Time Warner Roadrunner only. You have to have TWC programming also (I've talked to TWC & ESPN). I've only had OTA & Roadrunner for years. I have a revue, xbox360, with the ESPN apps...but they are usless without paying TWC for programing along with their roadrunner service.
Not sure how other internet providers work.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM

I watch about 1.5-2 times as much cable programming as I do network programming. How does this device help me?
post #20 of 20 Old 10-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

Bluray rips? No cinavia?

I am using DSL 600 x 6000
Love my speed - no slow down when the neighbor 'hood' comes home from work or school...

I would love the DVR feature... my Vmate is good... but limited.... I have to use my DTVPal with it...

my Sony Bravia OTA gives me approx 27 channels in Indianapolis - most of those i do not watch...
mostly watch MeTV and ANTtv - oldies but goodies...

streaming via dsl is good... hulu, fox, fx all have enough free to keep my a... glued to the couch all weekend...

OTA live sports? well we are watching the colts get tromped now [10//14 3pm NFL ch8.1] OTA... super bowl here in Indy was not blacked out OTA...
my wife has no problem getting her fill of football and tennis OTA... dvr will allow me to see something later - i hope ;-)
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Boxee Tv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page