AVS Forum banner

First Blu-Ray Disc To Get Neo:X-Optimized Soundtrack

9K views 71 replies 36 participants last post by  Elvia Migliozzi 
#1 ·
The Expendables 2 Blu-ray disc will be the very first Blu-ray disc with a soundtrack optimized for DTS Neo:X 11.1-channel surround.
Quote:
The $39.95-suggested disc, available Nov. 20, features a DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 mix that was specifically designed for processing by A/V receivers and other home-audio components incorporating Neo:X post-processing technology, a DTS spokesman said. “For those who have a Neo: X enabled receiver, the 7.1 mix is optimized to get the best up-mix performance on a Neo: X system for playback on up to a 11.1-channel system,” he said.

DTS adds a pair of front-height channels, or a pair of front-wide channels, or both to 7.1- and 5.1-channel surround systems.

The Blu-ray disc also features 5.1 Dolby Digital for the Spanish soundtrack and 2.0 Dolby Digital for an extra English soundtrack.
[Source]

#27 ·

Speaking of room acoustics, one thing that's been long overdue for my dedicated room is to add some sound diffusers.  I have mostly 2 inch Sonex absorbers everywhere as an overreaction to my first install that we couldn't clearly hear speech even though I juiced up the center channel.  Once I did this we could finally clearly hear speech/conversations but at the cost of deadening the room.  I'm planning on switching out some of the absorbers with DIY quadratic diffusers, but it actually it will be a sound scatterers since I'm not going all anal in the complex measurments needed for even diffusion.  One room acoustic calibrator told me in his theater room he got excellent results with a ( real) diffuser on his screen wall, I assume below and to the sides and he says he constantly is moving his absorbers and diffusers tweaking them with the software he uses professionally, he's an engineer by training and loves trying to improve on near perfection. Fortunately or unfortunately I'm too lazy to worry about perfection, good to pretty good I'm happy with.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack#post_22488417

The problem I have is that I'm still waiting for someone to create a pre/pro that will do all 11 channels. Until then it will be a 9.4 system.

Both the upcoming Marantz AV8801 and the Onkyo PR-SC5510 will go to 11...

BTW, nobody curious what "a soundtrack optimized for DTS Neo:X 11.1-channel surround" really means? How does it work? I know about Neo:x, but define "optimized" please!

One more thing: room size is irrelevant. Big room? Big speakers. Small room? That's right: small speakers! You don't even need amps. Check out Emotiva Pro airmotiv 4... combined with airmotiv 6 for L+R. They come in pairs, but maybe a single back surround will be fine if you don't want to waste one. In a small room, 10.1 is almost as good as 11.1 anyway

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack#post_22491379

BTW, how far are you planning on sitting from the screen?

I want to be 1.2x screen width and only care about 1 row, maybe 2 if it doesn't force compromises to the main row.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack#post_22493133

Both the upcoming Marantz AV8801 and the Onkyo PR-SC5510 will go to 11...

BTW, nobody curious what "a soundtrack optimized for DTS Neo:X 11.1-channel surround" really means? How does it work? I know about Neo:x, but define "optimized" please!

One more thing: room size is irrelevant. Big room? Big speakers. Small room? That's right: small speakers! You don't even need amps. Check out Emotiva Pro airmotiv 4... combined with airmotiv 6 for L+R. They come in pairs, but maybe a single back surround will be fine if you don't want to waste one. In a small room, 10.1 is almost as good as 11.1 anyway

I believe they are able to "mix in" the extra channels into the existing data stream, likely flagged in some way, the Neo:X decoder then sees these and sends them to the appropriate channel.

So it's not like traditional matrixing where sounds are extracted from a stream, in this case, they are actually added into the source stream:

"DTS Neo:X

DTS Neo:X can take stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 source material and output up to 11.1 channels including front height and width channels. Unlike Dolby's Pro Logic IIz's system, which only adds front height channels to the 7.1 configuration, Neo:X supports both front height and front wide channels. DTS Neo:X also supports 11.1 encoding through matrixing of front height and front wide channel information into the front and surround channels, respectively, of a 5.1 or 7.1 audio mix"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system)

#33 ·
AWESOME news!!! I'll definitely have to buy this then
I am in the middle of my 11.2 build and already have all the speakers and receiver and amp waiting to go in as soon as I get the room painted
My room is 20' x 30' with a double stepped tray ceiling going from 8' to 9' to 10'

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack#post_22493133

My guess is that there is certain cues probably in a range that we cant hear or maybe just normal digital information laid in there that might trigger the Neo X to do something with that particular sound segment but your guess is as good as mine...

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack#post_22493387

I want to be 1.2x screen width
So that puts the seating about 15-16 feet away from the screen, which will give you an immersive 45 degree viewing angle roughly. Perfect for my tastes. At that seating distance, spreading your front speakers about 18-19 feet apart will give you a nice wide soundstage (almost 60 degrees).

#36 ·

Quote:

BTW, nobody curious what "a soundtrack optimized for DTS Neo:X 11.1-channel surround" really means? How does it work?
It means that Wide and/or Height channels are matrixed into the discrete channels using a Neo:X encoder.

For example: each Wide channel will be split to the Front and Surround channel on that side. If you have Wide speakers, that info will be extracted by Neo:X decoding and sent to the Wide speakers that are inbetween your Fronts and Surrounds. If you don't have Wide speakers, then those sounds will phantom image between your Fronts and Surrounds, where the Wide speakers would have been.

This way, it is backwards compatible with regular 5.1 and 7.1 set-ups.

#39 ·
So if you have a 5.1 set up will it sound better having the NeoX or no difference since 6 additional speakers are missing?

#40 ·
During my 76 years on this earth, I have always had to have the latest and greatest. My hearing and vision is still great, as is my billfold.

There comes a time to say no more. While I have the room and the "where thee well" I refuse to be defined as that sucker who is born every minute.

Reactions: HankRearden
#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGINC  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack/0_50#post_22490102

If the rental companies are getting stripped down sound tracks on rental BDs, Is it worth the investment to add more speakers when there is some uncertainty that this trend will continue or proliferate.

Lately I've noticed that some Netflix discs are missing extras, but this is the first I've heard of soundtracks.

Are you sure about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack/0_50#post_22490370

If you can invest the money required for a quality 11.1/11.2 system, you can spring for the cost of the media. The free ride is coming to an end.

And first I've heard that renting is free.

#42 ·
Are they insane!!!??? 11.1??? Most people have a hard enough time accomadating 5.1 let alone 7.1 (those without a dedicated HT room). And to buy a new receiver (or more likely some one with separates) with Neo X?? 4 more speakers?? I guess this format will only be enjoyed by multi-millionaires with $250k HT rooms designed by Theo Kalimirakis & $250k plus worth of electronics.

#43 ·
I already have a 12.3 setup.

Epik Empire sub for front chs.,M&K MX100 sub and a JBL sub for rear chs.

2 fr ht, 2 frt wide, lft & Rt Ctr ch, Lft rear sur., Rt sur rear, Left,Ctr, & Rt rear back channels.

Onkyo 818 rec. , Yamaha 3090 Rec. & Yamaha DSP 492A for back ctr channels.

Combination of Srs flat Panels, Klipsch wides,JBL center channels,Infinity back chs., Ess Heil Air Motion Transformers coupled with Peavey SP3 Studio Monitors for lft/rt channels,and Paramount

Studios in wall spkrs for Ht chs. Still tweeking. As long as foundation can take it.

#45 ·
I suppose it isn't impossible.
And can be done on a "budget". Nothing is impossible if you're willing to make compromises (e.g. room size, quality of HT room build...etc.).. But for most of us....I think 11.1 is a pipe dream. Regardless of budget. So many factors affecting our ability to setup such a HT system/room.

Condo dwellers need not apply.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis.ie  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack/30#post_22493943

I believe they are able to "mix in" the extra channels into the existing data stream, likely flagged in some way, the Neo:X decoder then sees these and sends them to the appropriate channel.

So it's not like traditional matrixing where sounds are extracted from a stream, in this case, they are actually added into the source stream:

"DTS Neo:X

DTS Neo:X can take stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 source material and output up to 11.1 channels including front height and width channels. Unlike Dolby's Pro Logic IIz's system, which only adds front height channels to the 7.1 configuration, Neo:X supports both front height and front wide channels. DTS Neo:X also supports 11.1 encoding through matrixing of front height and front wide channel information into the front and surround channels, respectively, of a 5.1 or 7.1 audio mix"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system)

Thanks!

That makes sense. Maybe it's like those "object based" formats that embed the "geographic info" (ie, where the object moves in time and space) in the data.

#47 ·
im working on a 11.2 setup as i type just waiting for the heights and amp (onkyo 5010) i have height setup on my 508 having experimented with it and listened to just the heights by them self its as if they are discreet i have never heard anything bleed into them that shouldnt be there its very good and worth it if you can do it (i hear wides are even better:eek:)

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack#post_22493395

Anything beyond 7.1 channels for home at the time being is only matrixed. Not interested.

Just wondering, what they will say in the future, say in 7 year, about this ??

Ok, Im 60, a greyish matter, still on old fashion 5.2.

But Im in these days upgrading to 7.1 by adding a pair of Psb imagine b5 to my marantz 5006. That will be the end of having a system that is "hidden away" from my beloved ones.

I cant understand that the future is just adding extra pairs of speakers. I did a lot of research on this 7.1 upgrade, but with a Psb image t6 and psb imagine center, I think my front is covered

Since " my rears" is two svs 12" and two psb imagine mini, i think i might benefit from a wider sound in 7,1 even if this means my small livingroom of 7 meters x 4 meters is crammed with speakers
)

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack/30#post_22499165

Maybe it's like those "object based" formats that embed the "geographic info" (ie, where the object moves in time and space) in the data.
Has nothing to do with object-based mixing. Neo:X encoding is simply matrixing additional channels into the soundtrack (like Surround EX or old Dolby Surround). Nothing more complicated than that.

#50 ·
The systems to handle this have been out for a while. I bought the Yamaha RX-Z11 four years ago and have put it through the wringer (so to speak). It has an output of 11.2 and the use of smaller, high quality, bookshelf speakers allows for a relatively small room (15 x 20 x 8) to accommodate all the speakers. I never got over 9.2, seemed silly, but I could easily go buy a matching set of speakers tomorrow and complete the insanity.

The extra speakers are indeed a matrix (from 5.1 or 7.1), but the processor does an acceptable job of filling in the space.

I figure that I have about another 5-7 years before technology catches up and another upgrade is necessary.

Then again, I'm probably out of my mind.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere  /t/1433599/first-blu-ray-disc-to-get-neo-x-optimized-soundtrack/30#post_22498820

So if you have a 5.1 set up will it sound better having the NeoX or no difference since 6 additional speakers are missing?
Shouldn't make a difference unless the mixer has put a lot of sounds in the Wide channels, in which case you will hear more phantom imaging floating between your Front and Surround speakers; at least compared to typical 5.1/7.1 soundtracks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.