post #61 of 72 Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevychad View Post

Just FYI, The RX-Z11 does not have Audyssey DSX and does not have DTS NEO:X either. In fact, the positioning of the yamaha 11 speakers designated for the RXZ11 are totally different than the requirements of DSX and NEO:X

So when using the RX-Z11 with this 11.1 disk what would be the outcome?

What would be the best audio format to select on the RX-Z11's audio selection menu?

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It will create its own sound processing based on its algorithm with their proprietary (not industry standard) "presence" speakers. Yamaha does not have the wides or heights of audyssey or DTS.

Yamaha:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/z11roomdiag.jpg

Audyssey DSX:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/image-files/audyssey-dsx-7.1.gif

DTS Neo:X

http://www.cepro.com/images/uploads/dts_neox.jpg
Dougofthenorth likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 72 Old 10-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

So what would be the best audio format to
1) select from the disc
2) Then from the RX-Z11's audio selection menu?

As in - will the RX-Z11 be able to use any of the extra info from the 11.1 soundtrack or
can it only use the 7.1 (or 5.1 if that is the highest DTS format available) ?

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #64 of 72 Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM

Liked: 18
Im not sure you are understanding the surround processing capabilities you have with the yamaha. It most certainly won't pick up on the imbedded 'cues' intended for DTS Neo:X since it does not support or recognize that surround format. The DTS info provides 7.1 + wides + heights.

As I understand, the subject BD will have discrete 7.1 format with imbedded info for Neo X optimization. If you have a Neo:X capable receiver, your 'extra' speakers will pick up the cues for the imbedded sound and output to those speakers. If you have 7.1, you will have the discrete 7.1. If you have something else with extra speakers outside 7.1, your processor will 'enhance' the 7.1 how it sees fit for the speakers associated with its setup.

post #65 of 72 Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Tx for your help - I think I am getting it

RE: "If you have something else with extra speakers outside 7.1, your processor will 'enhance' the 7.1 how it sees fit for the speakers associated with its setup."

I am running the Z11 with 11.1 speaker config

I think then the most I can decode from the disc is the 7.1 discrete track - AFAIK The Z-11 doesn't matrix beyond 7.1 in the main non-DSP menu..

From what I khow of the Z11 the front & rear "effect" speakers only activate when I select a DSP program from
the Z-11's sound menu. - if I am correctly understanding the Z-11 & the way it works confused.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #66 of 72 Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Hey Doug, been a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

From what I khow of the Z11 the front & rear "effect" speakers only activate when I select a DSP program from the Z-11's sound menu. - if I am correctly understanding the Z-11 & the way it works confused.gif
You understand correctly. The 4 effects speakers are for room simulation. Yamaha's Cinema DSP algorithms generate reverberation and early reflections in order to give the impression of a larger space (music clubs, concert halls, etc). As such, the Z11 cannot decode the additional matrixed channels in the 'Expendables 2' Blu-ray, since it doesn't have a Neo:X decoder. Since you already have 11 speakers, you might want to consider getting the new Denon AVR-4520, which does decode Neo:X and has better room correction than the Z11.

Sanjay
post #67 of 72 Old 10-29-2012, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Hey Doug, been a long time. You understand correctly. The 4 effects speakers are for room simulation. Yamaha's Cinema DSP algorithms generate reverberation and early reflections in order to give the impression of a larger space (music clubs, concert halls, etc). As such, the Z11 cannot decode the additional matrixed channels in the 'Expendables 2' Blu-ray, since it doesn't have a Neo:X decoder. Since you already have 11 speakers, you might want to consider getting the new Denon AVR-4520, which does decode Neo:X and has better room correction than the Z11.

Hello my friend -yes its been a while & much water under my bridge in the last few years!

Tx for the reply - I do get that part then:)

As for getting a new AVR - I will pass for now - the cost of my AVR upgrades in he last ~decade - RX-V1 to RX-Z1 to RX-Z11
has caused a never before experienced level of WAF eek.gif - so I will wait until 11.1 discs are as common as 5.1/7.1.

A while ago I did confess to you via PM that I was a speaker whore - to which you also agreed to for yourself.
I am not so sure I am a discreet channel whore as well - but that might also be true biggrin.gif

Question:

When I select fropm the DSP menu to use one of the Yam's audio modes (othe) than the discreet main audio menue ie 5.1, 7.1 etc)

what audio track from the disc does the Yam use to generate the soundfield for the 11.1 speakers?

The "core" 2.1 channel Dolby or 2.1 DTS? or does it take the 5.1/7.1 & use that to generate the 11.1 soundfield?

Again - nice to "see" you. smile.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #68 of 72 Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:

what audio track from the disc does the Yam use to generate the soundfield for the 11.1 speakers?
The one with the most channels (typically the default track).

Sanjay
post #69 of 72 Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Hello my friend -yes its been a while & much water under my bridge in the last few years!
Tx for the reply - I do get that part then:)
As for getting a new AVR - I will pass for now - the cost of my AVR upgrades in he last ~decade - RX-V1 to RX-Z1 to RX-Z11
has caused a never before experienced level of WAF eek.gif - so I will wait until 11.1 discs are as common as 5.1/7.1.
A while ago I did confess to you via PM that I was a speaker whore - to which you also agreed to for yourself.
I am not so sure I am a discreet channel whore as well - but that might also be true biggrin.gif
Question:
When I select fropm the DSP menu to use one of the Yam's audio modes (othe) than the discreet main audio menue ie 5.1, 7.1 etc)
The "core" 2.1 channel Dolby or 2.1 DTS? or does it take the 5.1/7.1 & use that to generate the 11.1 soundfield?
Again - nice to "see" you. smile.gif
You should start to read from p54 in the manual. It's complicated... I did a small experiment with Front Present speakers on my RX-V2700 and I liked it. It's more than just evoking a certain theatre atmosphere. In fact that's the least appealing aspect of it to me. When my son played a PS3 combat game, I toggled on and off with the "Action Game" program. When "on", the batlle field seemed way deeper and threedimensional. Then I tried a battle scene from Star Wars with "Spectacle" if I remember correct. Same effect: much deeper, grander, wider soundstage.

Quote from manual on "Action Game":
This sound field is suitable for action games such as car racing and FPS games. It uses the
reflection data that limits the effects range per channel in order to offer a powerful playing
environment with a being-there feeling by enhancing various effects tones while
maintaining a clear sense of directions.

Other than this gadgettery he RX-Z11 was one of the best sounding AVR's, so you're very smart not to trade it in to soon!

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #70 of 72 Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

You should start to read from p54 in the manual. It's complicated... I did a small experiment with Front Present speakers on my RX-V2700 and I liked it. It's more than just evoking a certain theatre atmosphere. In fact that's the least appealing aspect of it to me. When my son played a PS3 combat game, I toggled on and off with the "Action Game" program. When "on", the batlle field seemed way deeper and threedimensional. Then I tried a battle scene from Star Wars with "Spectacle" if I remember correct. Same effect: much deeper, grander, wider soundstage.!

When I had my RX-V2500 I remember watching "The Terminal" and switching between presence and PLIIx 7.1 and with the presence 7.1 (5.1 + front presence) there really was a sense of being in a huge open airport space which was not there with the PLIIx.
post #71 of 72 Old 10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis.ie View Post

When I had my RX-V2500 I remember watching "The Terminal" and switching between presence and PLIIx 7.1 and with the presence 7.1 (5.1 + front presence) there really was a sense of being in a huge open airport space which was not there with the PLIIx.

Not meaning to be rude in the least - but AFAIK with regard to "PLIIx 7.1 and with the presence 7.1 (5.1 + front presence)"
is not an RX-Z11 choice, as 7.1 are descreet channels & the 4 front & rear effect speakers come in to play beyond that & require a selection of a DSP program.
DD or 5.1 or 6.1 can be matrixed to 7.1 on the main audio menu. Beyond that you must select from the DSP menu.

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #72 of 72 Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 10
Just added additional sub. The Epik Empire dual 15's. Replacing JBL center channel with Def.Tech. CS 8060 powered center channel.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page