SVS Ultra Series Loudspeakers Aim to Redefine - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SVS has just introduced a no-holds-barred loudspeaker family that aims to give you more bang for your buck.

Quote:
SVS has just announced its Ultra Series Loudspeakers, a line it says is built with value in mind. The company claims that the speakers are built to outperform competing brands that cost three, four, or even five times as much. That’s a bold claim indeed.

The SVS Ultra Series employs a small army of speakers that includes the Ultra Tower, the Ultra Bookshelf, the Ultra Center, and the Ultra Surround. We’ll be reviewing the line soon and if it blows our hair back like SVS says it will, we’ll be sure to let you know.

SVS says its goal is no less than “pure acoustic perfection,” an end it hopes to accomplish through the Ultra Tower’s unique trapezoidal construction and its proprietary “ForceFactor” woofer array. The array features two side-firing 8-inch drivers at the base of the tower speakers, horizontally opposed to cancel out cabinet vibrations — a design that, in our experience, does offer cleaner, less distorted bass response with more even room coverage. The towers also feature two 6.5-inch composite glass-fiber midrange drivers and what appears to be a 1-inch tweeter with ring radiator.

The series will begin shipping November 20 — just in time for the holidays. Pricing details are as follows: SVS Ultra Tower $1999 pair; SVS Ultra Bookshelf $999 pair; SVS Ultra Center $699; SVS Ultra Surround $1199 pair. Those price points put the speakers at the pricier end of the Internet-direct speaker spectrum, but if the series can deliver on its promise of ultra performance, this could be the system to beat next year.

Does this sound like something you would get?

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
These are certainly something I'd consider buying. So much so that I'm now given pause... I'm literally a month away from purchasing a Klipsch Reference home theater system (RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-52 II, RB-81 II). But these start shipping November 20th, according to the press release on SVS' website. I'm very interested in hearing listening impressions from those who will get to hear these at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this weekend!
post #3 of 27 Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

These are certainly something I'd consider buying. So much so that I'm now given pause... I'm literally a month away from purchasing a Klipsch Reference home theater system (RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-52 II, RB-81 II). But these start shipping November 20th, according to the press release on SVS' website. I'm very interested in hearing listening impressions from those who will get to hear these at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this weekend!

They certainly look the part...

How about you pioneer the independent analysis and let everyone know how these stunners perform.

=)

post #4 of 27 Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Maybe if they go on sale. 2 grand for towers from a company that specializes in subwoofers seems kind of pricey. I guess we'll have to wait for the reviews to determine how good they are.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

really would like to see the specs. But I don't think i will ever go back to buying a completed speaker from a store or ID company. There are som many proven DIY designs out there that can blow the doors off speaker in the store or ID for the same or less money. Also, it doesn't take much skill to pull them off. If I can do it anyone can do it.
vivatech likes this.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #6 of 27 Old 10-13-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

really would like to see the specs. But I don't think i will ever go back to buying a completed speaker from a store or ID company. There are som many proven DIY designs out there that can blow the doors off speaker in the store or ID for the same or less money. Also, it doesn't take much skill to pull them off. If I can do it anyone can do it.

All of my speakers and subs are diy but its not for everyone. Svs makes great stuff. I've owned several of their subs including the ultra. These speakers look fantastic and if they are on par with the ultra subs they should sound fantastic too.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #7 of 27 Old 10-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

I would definitely stick with the Klipsch Reference system, they simply cannot be beat for the money. I own Klipsch Reference, and they are breathtaking. biggrin.gif

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #8 of 27 Old 10-13-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
They look very nice!! Good luck SvS!!

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #9 of 27 Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hmmmm.. I was considering getting one of the Polk RTI series towers. A5 or A7, but now I'm reconsidering. Although it is a fair price leap, i'll wait and see how they get priced around where i live. smile.gif

They look real nice, I must say!rolleyes.gif
post #10 of 27 Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

I would definitely stick with the Klipsch Reference system, they simply cannot be beat for the money. I own Klipsch Reference, and they are breathtaking. biggrin.gif

That's a bold statement, my friend, and it remains to be seen. If anyone could do it, i would put my chips on SVS.
post #11 of 27 Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfather View Post

That's a bold statement, my friend, and it remains to be seen. If anyone could do it, i would put my chips on SVS.

Infinity once beat Klipsch on a regular basis. Polk keeps on trying. Who's left in the store brands? Klipsch should offer their better stuff in BB, not just boutiques.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #12 of 27 Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Liked: 10
I see two recommendations for DIY, something I've wanted to try for a while. Can some helpful person point me to a proven design for matched towers & center where the components can be bought for < $2000?
post #13 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkavitsky View Post

I see two recommendations for DIY, something I've wanted to try for a while. Can some helpful person point me to a proven design for matched towers & center where the components can be bought for < $2000?

you can build 5 of these for under $2k.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/plastic-seos-12/seos-speaker-kits/seos-deltalite-kit.html
post #14 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 360
$5K for a speaker set (especially when they are NOT including subwoofer) and "bang for the buck" should never be uttered within the same article.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #15 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

$5K for a speaker set (especially when they are NOT including subwoofer) and "bang for the buck" should never be uttered within the same article.

That set is $5k?

eek.gif
post #16 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. $2k for the fronts, $1k for the bookshelfs (to be used as back surround), $700 for centre channel, $1.2k for side surrounds. Just under $5k for the set PLUS you need to add the sub. So otal will be minimum around $6k including subwoofer.

my home theatre

post #17 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

One can do a whole lot with a $6k budget.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

+1 for sticking with your Klipsch plan. I own 5 reference speakers at the moment, and keep adding more. They really sound clear, and just fantastic with music and movies. That said-- I'd be quite interested to give these SVS's a listen!
post #19 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

One can do a whole lot with a $6k budget.

You can get PSB Image T6 towers for all 6 channels and Image C5 centre for only $2K !! And add FOUR PSB Subseries 300i subwoofers for $2k more and you will still save $2k!!!

$5k for a 7.0 system with only front towers is ridiculously high to be called "bang for a buck". rolleyes.gif

my home theatre

post #20 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

You can get PSB Image T6 towers for all 6 channels and Image C5 centre for only $2K !! And add FOUR PSB Subseries 300i subwoofers for $2k more and you will still save $2k!!!
$5k for a 7.0 system with only front towers is ridiculously high to be called "bang for a buck". rolleyes.gif

Where are those cheap PSB? lol
post #21 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the price 2001 Audio (Markham location) quoted me just this past weekend ($2K for 3 pairs of T6 and 1 C5)

CORRECTION: I just re-checked, the $2K pricing is for 3 pairs of Image T5 and one Image C5 centre channel, NOT T6 as I previously mentioned... but still. 6 full towers + 1 large sized centre for $2K is truly a bang for your buck.

my home theatre

post #22 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or build 7 of these: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/plastic-seos-12/seos-speaker-kits/seos-eminence12-kit.html

and 4 of these: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/subwoofer-kits/rs-15-sub-kit.html

they will blow the roof off of your house.

and you still have plenty of cash left to take the wife on a first class vacation.
post #23 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about the pricing of the DIY kit after everything is done but one business class ticket to the country I was raised (Australia) is more than $7k, let alone for two people biggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

my home theatre

post #24 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

lol...take her somewhere close to home.
post #25 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Liked: 11
If you are considering in this price range, have you considered an Aperion Versus Grand system? (switch out the sub for an SVS or a HSU) I have the Versus Grand system with a HSU VTF-15H, and the sound is excellent.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

At this price range, there are far too many speaker brands to be considered. There is nothing special when at $5k speaker set with no subwoofer can sound great. Virtually any speaker brand can achieve that at that "wholesale/direct-sales" price.

my home theatre

post #27 of 27 Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

At this price range, there are far too many speaker brands to be considered. There is nothing special when at $5k speaker set with no subwoofer can sound great. Virtually any speaker brand can achieve that at that "wholesale/direct-sales" price.

Yep I'd agree - but lets say for arguments sake (as I haven't heard them) these speakers are on par with say Paradigm's Signature series. You're not going to buy a pair (never mind 5) Paradigm Sig series speakers for 5 grand unless they're either stolen or (well) used, never mind a 7 of them.

5 grand for 7 speakers isn't outlandish in this day and age if the speakers sound good. If you don't really care about the looks, and you have a lot of extra time on your hands then for sure a DIY solution is also a great value - but will those DIY's sound 'as good' as these, or any other $5000.00 speaker? Too subjective there.

All in all though I'm looking forward to hearing these speakers if I can but at worse reading reviews of those that do. And David - I've seen speakers (and heard) that sell for 80,000 grand a pair. Now that to me is overkill (though they sounded incredible). Just putting it in perspective for you wink.gif

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page