FCC to Allow Encryption of Basic Cable -- Boxee is Happy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
New FCC rules to allow Boxee and other set-top devices to receive basic cable channels via IP.

Quote:
As you might expect, the cable industry has been taking measures to protect its business by asking the FCC to allow encryption of basic cable -- something that has never been done and that many have rightly opposed. The FCC responded by releasing new rules on Friday and while cable operators will be able allowed to encrypt all their channels, it isn't without a few strings. The Boxee blog voiced its approval of those strings, which basically amounts to a requirement that when an operator encrypts, it also needs to make basic channels accessible via IP -- with or without some hardware in your home -- so that Boxee and others can still tune in. The other, less interesting stipulation, is that you might be entitled to at least one free set-top box or CableCARD for up to five years, depending on what package you subscribe to or if you are on Medicaid. The free hardware will only be for existing customers who apply within four months of when your provider rolls out the basic cable encryption. The real loser here are those few who actually use the Clear-QAM tuner in their TV, or perhaps those that use HTPC software that'll never get an update.

[Source]
lovekeiiy likes this.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I read about quarter of the FCC ruling. As much as I understand arguments, I still think they're not accounting correctly for the people that will be effected. A lot people I know, right now, are on limited basic. And it'll end up being another cost they can't afford.

I had to laugh when one company said it could result in lower rates. Cable companies are too much of natural monopoly for that to happen.

Lastly, F*** Y** FCC!!!!! Well, now I have a very good reason to hook up the antenna for the whole house.
RVD64 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think that a lot of people use Clear QAM, as this allows (on my provider at least) the ability to watch HD transmissions at full resolution. This provider's basic cable subscription requires te us of converter boxes which only allow SD viewing if I do not switch to using the Clear QAM tuner. If the Clear QAM is cut off then I likely will drop cable completely and go with OTA HDTV. I have been on the verge of doing that already, but there are a few basic cable channels that I enjoy watching. I wonder if the cable industry realizes how much they have annoyed their long-time user base with the ever increasing prices, ever increasing restrictions/inconveniences, and the proliferation of junk channels. Of course, there are viewers who enjoy some of the channels I consider junk :-)
post #4 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sounds like another attempt to make everybody buy a "SmartTV" with IP connection, or some other internet-based gizmo.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #5 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
Interesting post.

2 things come to mind:

1 - What do they mean by "htpc" software"? Are they referring to XBMC and the likes?

2 - Love the part about being on Medicaid entitles you to a free set-top box or Cablecard for up to 5 years. What the heck does cable have to do with medical care?!?!? (Is it November 6 yet?!?!?)
post #6 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by penone View Post

Interesting post.
Love the part about being on Medicaid entitles you to a free set-top box or Cablecard for up to 5 years. What the heck does cable have to do with medical care?!?!? (Is it November 6 yet?!?!?)
[derail]
For the win. Thread over.
[/derail]
post #7 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM

I have a QAM box in my home theater for a couple of events like the Oscars or the Rose Parade. I wouldn't rent a box for just occasional use. I find the HD channels softer than BD. I live behind hills so OTA is not an option.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by penone View Post

What the heck does cable have to do with medical care?!?!?
Those on Medicaid are considered poor. Apparently FCC thinks those poor enough to be on it should have their rates partially subsidized by the non-poor.

Maybe behind the scenes the FCC thinks the minidish companies aren't big enough competition for cable, and cable encryption inconvenience would tip more people against staying with cable, and into pizza dishes, or even back to OTA, or into the younger fledgling IPTV business. tongue.gif

The way it is now, content providers create whatever they please, coerce cablecos into carriage through take-it-or-leave-it bundling, and cablecos make subscribers pay the added costs, on which taxes are charged, giving the gummints a piece of the inflation action without "raising taxes". It's also a way of nudging the left coast economy upward, reducing unemployment among actors, producers, etc., without regard to quality.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #9 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked: 13
Those wishing to read the actual FCC order, will find it here.
Self-Congratulatory statements by the FCC Chairman and two Commissioners can also be found here, here and here,

rolleyes.gif

post #10 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

Lastly, F*** Y** FCC!!!!! Well, now I have a very good reason to hook up the antenna for the whole house.

The FCC is working on OTA as well.

Story 1

Story 2

Story 3

Story 4
post #11 of 13 Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM

sounds like trouble for my HDHomeRun box ?
post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

The FCC is working on OTA as well.
Story 1
Story 2
Story 3
Story 4

you have ruined my day mad.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
To many people on fixed incomes for OTA to completely go away but then again when has our government ever really had concern for those people.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page