Preview of Funk Audio's New 15.0, 15.3, 18.0C and 18.1 Subwoofers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Funk Audio expands their subwoofer lineup with the release of four new models. Check out a quick preview of them all.

Funk Audio 15.0
Quote:
The 15.0 is their entry level sub, but at $1350 ($1450 for US shipping, $1350 for Canada eh.) I wouldn't consider it entry level. It sports a single 15" front firing driver in a sealed enclosure. When some manufacturers claim their subwoofers are long-throw it might be stretching the truth, but with a 1.625" p-p linear excursion, long-throw might be an understatement. The frame is cast aluminum and the cone is paper pulp with reinforced Kevlar fibers. The stock amplifier is class D 500w RMS. Funk Audio gives you the option to upgrade to an 800w amp with XLR inputs/outputs and 4 DSP modes for an additional $200. Along that same line of customization, you can also order a custom finish. The fit and finish of Funk Audio sets them apart from the crowd. I counted 27 different finish options available to choose from. All of the new subwoofers are made from Baltic birch plywood and have a 1.5" thick front baffle and 1.25" thick top/bottom (except for the 18.1 which has a 1" top/bottom baffle). It is rated at a -3dB at 20Hz and 114dB maximum output with the 500w amp and 117dB output with the 800w amp. It measures 20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep.

Funk Audio 15.3
Quote:
The 15.3 is very similar to the 15.0, utilizing the same driver and amp. The biggest difference is that it has dual 15" passive radiators, taller enclosure, and variable tuning. The enclosure measures 18" wide x 34" high x 18" deep. It has variable tuning from 19-28Hz, allowing you to choose SPL vs. extension. With the 500w amp it has a -6dB point at 16Hz (lowest tuning) and 116dB maximum output. With the 800w amp it has a -3dB point at 16Hz and a 118dB maximum output. For an extra $200 you can get a curved cabinet, add $200 more for the upgraded amp, $150 for solid wood inlayed corners, and a magnetic cloth grill for $150 and you it's like West Coast Customs got a hold of your sub. Well, more like a skilled engineer improved and customized your sub. Even though the base price is $1600 ($1800 for US) you could quickly end up spending a few hundred extra dollars to get the sub how you want. But this is one of the great parts about buying a Funk Audio sub, the company wants to work with each customer to make a sub that works perfectly for them, it will just cost you some extra coin.

Funk Audio 18.0C
Quote:
The 18.0C is designed for people who want deep, powerful bass, but don't want a sub the size of a coffee table. Still, is isn't exactly compact, measuring 20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep. But for a sub with a variable -3db point of 15-30Hz, max output of 124dB, and an 18" driver, it is compact. It come standard with the 800w, DSP controlled amp that is an upgrade on the 15.0 and 15.3. Not to be outdone, you can upgrade to a 1500w amp for an extra $300. The 18" driver has a 4" voice coil, 1200w RMS power handling, >1" p-p linear excursion, and cast aluminum frame. You can also upgrade to a second generation 18" driver for $175 and solid wood inlayed corners for $150. The gen. 2 driver has higher thermal power handling than the gen. 1 driver, 1600w vs. 1200w. The 18.0C will set you back $1650 in Canada and $1750 shipped to the US.

Funk Audio 18.1
Quote:
The 18.1 is at the top of these new subwoofers, but still well below the price of the existing 18.0 and 18.3 units. Unlike the other three subs, this is a ported unit. The same 18" driver and 800w amplifier that come with the 18.0C come standard on this unit. The unit has variable tuning from 16-30Hz and Funk Audio can be contacted to customize the tuning to your needs. It is rated at 124dB max output (2m ground plane) with a S/N ratio >113dB. The 18.0C is quite a bit larger than any of the other subs, measuring 20.5" wide 27" high 24" deep. The optional upgrades are the same as the 18.0C, including a 1,500w amp, gen. 2 18" driver, sold wood inlayed corners, custom finish, and magnetic cloth grill. The 18.1 is $1895 shipped in Canada and $1995 in the US.

The conclusion:
Quote:
You may have noticed a common theme among these subwoofers, customization. Funk Audio is a small company that really seems to care about creating custom solutions for each customer, this is evident from the optional upgrades and available finishes. You also may have noticed that the subwoofers are priced pretty close together. Most companies provide a clear line of good, better, best. This isn't really the case here. If you choose to upgrade the 15.0 with all of the options (excluding a custom finish), the price comes up to $1800, only $95 from the 18.1 base price. You are presented with a choice of what subwoofer design best suites your needs rather than what is the most expensive subwoofer you can afford. What is clear is that these are serious subwoofers, and we are excited to see how they really perform. If you are interested make sure to buy one soon because the prices quoted here are only introductory and will go up by 10% after December 31st.

What do you think?

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
No one can deny the quality of the funk product...

Interested to see some head to head comparisons of these new offerings against others in this price category.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
can someone really explain what honestly makes these subs worth over $1k? I mean you cant tell me that there is a high production cost behind what is being used? are the employees paid like $50 an hour or what? I just cant understand the break down of what really makes it that much other then a possibly huge profit margin?

I guess I need to find a place that has a $300 sub and a $1500 sub in a nice room to see if I can tell the difference or not...

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #4 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

can someone really explain what honestly makes these subs worth over $1k? I mean you cant tell me that there is a high production cost behind what is being used? are the employees paid like $50 an hour or what? I just cant understand the break down of what really makes it that much other then a possibly huge profit margin?
I guess I need to find a place that has a $300 sub and a $1500 sub in a nice room to see if I can tell the difference or not...
The quality of the driver and amp, the build quality of the enclosure and finally the quality of the finish on that enclosure. After hearing my system, I've had acquaintances ask how much it would cost to build a sub for them. I reply that they can't afford me.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 View Post

The quality of the driver and amp, the build quality of the enclosure and finally the quality of the finish on that enclosure. After hearing my system, I've had acquaintances ask how much it would cost to build a sub for them. I reply that they can't afford me.

I understand but I still even with quality in mind cant see how it could still cost that much the mark up must still be pretty high...

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #6 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This might help explain the cost. biggrin.gif

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/80892-review-side-side-lms5400-vs-tsad18.html

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #7 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Maybe $700-$800 material for the 18.0C. If the cabs are perfect (which they freaking should be) His prices are not bad, not cheap but not crazy. The reason you see guys going DIY is because of exactly that fact. That sub could be built for well under 1K even buying retail, you just using your own time to finish it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #8 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Maybe $700-$800 material for the 18.0C. If the cabs are perfect (which they freaking should be) His prices are not bad, not cheap but not crazy. The reason you see guys going DIY is because of exactly that fact. That sub could be built for well under 1K even buying retail, you just using your own time to finish it.

Bottom-line. You are paying for a nice piece of furniture.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

You betcha! To someone having their sub in a media room or living room, they would be a great option.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #10 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Built your own some time. Then you'll get a feeling for why they cost what they do. Time, materials, and experience.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #11 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 View Post

Haha... Putting this in perspective and charging an hourly rate, I would have had to charge myself at least $2,000 for the time I spend on my two sub boxes. Oh yeah, and my boxes suck hard! Especially to the build quality of the funk product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Built your own some time. Then you'll get a feeling for why they cost what they do. Time, materials, and experience.

Sand...sand...sand... OMG, more sanding...
Billy p likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Yes, furniture that hopefully sounds awesome.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #13 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You know, as great as these look and I'm sure sound, I don't think I could ever buy one. I know this seems shallow, but the brand name "Funk Audio" is incredibly annoying and unprofessional sounding.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #14 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

You know, as great as these look and I'm sure sound, I don't think I could ever buy one. I know this seems shallow, but the brand name "Funk Audio" is incredibly annoying and unprofessional sounding.

You know what, I thought the same thing when I joined the forum a few years back and started hearing about funk audio. The first thing that came to mind was the legendary Funky Pup Sub of my car audio days:

FunkPupSub.jpg
post #15 of 15 Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

I'm going take a flyer on this one: Wild Cherry: "Play That Funky Music"

Funk as in "Cool." cool.gif
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page