Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

We're in a decided minority here. How many folks have home theaters, even modest ones (like mine)? I don't think just having a flat-screen in the living room qualifies, although some people in the populace at large might think so.
If movie theaters die, it won't be because of home theaters.wink.gif
Wrong buddy... wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The number of "bums on seats"has been declining since the eighties,the Studios and theater chains have simply been increasing prices so all round they have been "HAPPY"Let us just see they pulled down all the old GORGEOUS PICTURE PALACES,BIG SCREENS friendly staff eek.gif and replaced them with Multiplex carbon copies much smaller screens ,average sound and NO STAFF then HIGHER PRICES,wonder why less people opted for the movies as a social night out Now most theaters are small poor quality dirty scary places,if they even had ushers any more that could act as security they could keep the loud talking mobile phone junkies in their place:mad:, we used to know and be known by the ushers and theater managers,it was fun,friendly and a spectacle to go,suddenly the studios and theater chains realized what we had always wanted ,so now they,too late, start building what we had before, the bland multiplex is doomed but paying the huge prices they need to cover the cost of new enjoyable old fashioned movie experiences is crazy.I and many friends hate 3d but if we want to see the movie as a big beautiful joy we are forced to go to the 3d digital screens,I and many others wont pay extra to get what we used to and still should have,all the 3d in the world won't work at the prices they want,wait for it to come to Blu ray watch it the way the movies used to be,commercial cinemas are a dying expense,they just did not think and look at the future.rolleyes.gif
post #93 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Last movie I saw in a theater was Prometheus. It will most likely be the last time I attend a public cinema. Not impressed at all with the average picture, and sound! Theaters were the AMC chain and are only about 4 years old so the equipment is current. I watched the same movie on Blu Ray at home in my dedicated theater (makes a huge difference in enjoyment) and had better picture and sound! The give away now when you attend the theaters is all of the pre movie advertisment and 30 minutes of trailers before the feature starts. If they had not become so greedy with prices especially when showing 3D maybe the outcome would be better?
post #94 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ignoring the teens and date nighters the majority of clientele are people who can't afford their own home theatres. This may be a bit of a stereotype, but those are generally not the types I want sitting around me when I'm trying to focus on and enjoy a movie.

Too much talking, cell phones, bag rustling etc. People are just not courteous and annoying. I'm not paying any amount of money to sit through that.
post #95 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I sold tv's part time at a big box for a while and one of the qualifying questions I always pertained to where do you watch your movies/how do you get them/etc.

I feel like for couples from 50-70 are much more likely to go to a movie every weekend than other demographics. Part of it I'm sure is their ability to pay, but I think another large part of it is other entertainment options available now. They didn't have ESPN when they started dating. The NFL was only on Sunday afternoon and Monday night. And obviously no on demand, Redbox, Netflix, or Vudu.

Theater quality is not the problem. Unless the place is a total dump, AV quality is not keeping people from going. When I sold tv's an astonishing number of people could not tell differences between dvd and bluray. They didn't care about wiring the rear speakers into a htib. Poor audio, unless it's coming out of a blown speaker, is not something they will pick up on.

I don't have a theater; more of a media room I guess you might call it with a 50" tv, 5.1, and htpc. I am going to be the first person in line for something like Iron Man 3, because I think there is a communal aspect to watching that. I saw Avengers twice - once on opening night in a crowded theater with everyone laughing and cheering, and once near the end of it's run. The fact I'd seen it once didn't make the second go around worse, it was that the auditorium was empty.

Great Gatsby, on the other hand, as interested as I am in seeing that I think will work just as well in my home as it does in a theater.

Even when I have the space in a home to build out a theater (a converted bedroom in the city of Pittsburgh isn't quite the same) I still believe I will go to see 3-6 new releases per year.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #96 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoidz View Post

Home theaters are a niche thing, like Laserdisc was. Most people at home don't have the luxury of building a home cinema..

To folks who only buy complete systems at retail, it may be true.
For others, not so true.

A 60" diag. LCD from Wally M#rt may run $1700.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-60-Class-LED-1080p-120Hz-HDTV-with-Built-In-WiFi-UN60ES6100/21081420

El Cheapo "Deluxe" Home Theater can be made for half that:
[] Projector : $499 (720p) [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223]
(Max display size : 300" (762cm) )

[] Home Theater PC : (depends on how much you like to build your own rig - can be as low as $150 if you recycle old case, power supply, disk drive, etc. $350 and up, if you buy retail. AMD "Fusion" chips with integrated graphics processors have made HTPCs inexpensive.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VCOZYI/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=njchess-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B006VCOZYI

[] Screen (diy) - paint it on your wall (or on a mirror for "Light Fusion")
About “Light Fusion” and other custom painted screens:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17133033&postcount=6
Light Fusion Instructions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=359152&highlight=light+fusion+mix
Silver Fire Mix:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=752415
Black Flame “Light Fusion” mix
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=630888

[] Custom speakers:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Fostex-FE103E-Zigmahornets/
(2) 4" full range speakers, some wood, and wiring.
Zigmahornet’s single source will produce a stereo “sweet spot” far better than a multiple speaker array. If more low frequency content is desired, add a subwoofer.
The large cabinet and minimal hardware is not conducive to mass marketers or mass producers. (too bulky to ship, can’t price high enough)
The speaker tower design can be customized and integrated into the decor, and be especially useful for side and rear channel speakers.

Other, more complex speaker designs:
http://billfitzmaurice.net/

Observations:
For good results with a projector, light control is paramount. The darker the room, the better it will look.
I find that a good stereo speaker system retasked to the home theater is probably more than enough. I have been disappointed with 5.1 sound, in general. Rarely do I notice a sonic special effect that uses the surround speakers.
3D video is not selling too well - might want to avoid it unless you find it does not irritate or fatigue your eyes.
If you are stuck in a place with intrusive noise, check out noise cancelling headphones and / or ear buds. Amazing.
If you wish to play video games that require you to stand before the screen for the sensors to work, you probably shouldn't invest in a projector system... unless it's ceiling mounted and you're not throwing a shadow on the screen.

Other Issue:
Folks with lightweight projectors often can set them up outside, for night time viewing. This may or may not cause problems with neighbors and the copyright police.
But it can be great fun - hang a big sheet on the wall - set your speakers on "11" - and have the "Drive - In" theater experience in your backyard.
http://backyardtheater.com/
post #97 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

Wrong buddy... wink.gif

Well, how about enlightening us as to where I'm wrong.

Are you saying:

1) We're *NOT* in a minority (home theater enthusiasts).

or is it:

2) A Flat-Panel *DOES* qualify as a home theater.

or how about:

3) Home theater *IS* killing movie theaters.

I look forward to another one of your eloquent, thoroughly reasoned-out posts. tongue.gif
post #98 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post

Why would anyone want to go to a movie and sit next to people noisily slurping soda and munching away on tubs of popcorn? A dedicated home theater with better sound and picture, a no brainier.
We watch at least 8-10 movies a week on our big screen home theater and want a change, to go out for dinner and movie.
Biggest reason why are, to see the newest hot movies that won't hit blockbusters for a few months.
Much bigger screen and sound to match.
We go on weekdays and sometimes there are only a few people there. Last time, there was only 10 others in there. Kinda nice.
We ever go on a weekend.

So, there is a time and place for going to the theaters. biggrin.gif
post #99 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Well, how about enlightening us as to where I'm wrong.
Are you saying:
1) We're *NOT* in a minority (home theater enthusiasts).
or is it:
2) A Flat-Panel *DOES* qualify as a home theater.
or how about:
3) Home theater *IS* killing movie theaters.
I look forward to another one of your eloquent, thoroughly reasoned-out posts. tongue.gif
Well, you must be in a poor area of town because everyone I know, friends, family have at least a 50" with nice sound systems and I'm the only one that bothers to go to the movie theater from time to time to see new releases. Reason the others don't go? Because they're happy with what they have at home.wink.gif

So, how do you come by your eloquent, thoroughly reasoned-out posts.rolleyes.gif
post #100 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Liked: 38
The original question was not: Are flat-panel TVs killing movie theaters?

I have a feeling most members here would not consider 50" TVs as being big enough for a home theater. Do you and your friends have your 50" TVs in a dedicated theater room? And "nice sound systems" has no objective meaning. My neighbor thinks his soundbar is "nice". A home theater should be capable of taking full advantage of audio surround tracks, with adequate hardware and correct speaker placement.

I'm sure everyone is happy that you and everyone you know are so well-off.
post #101 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

The original question was not: Are flat-panel TVs killing movie theaters?
I have a feeling most members here would not consider 50" TVs as being big enough for a home theater. Do you and your friends have your 50" TVs in a dedicated theater room? And "nice sound systems" has no objective meaning. My neighbor thinks his soundbar is "nice". A home theater should be capable of taking full advantage of audio surround tracks, with adequate hardware and correct speaker placement.
I'm sure everyone is happy that you and everyone you know are so well-off.
There is where your wrong. biggrin.gif
50" with 5.1 surround sound system is the start of a home theater system.
Of course mine is bigger and more elaborate than that.

I'm not going to bother answer anymore of your eloquent, thoroughly reasoned-out posts, I have better things to do than sitting by the computer waiting for responses like you do. wink.gif
post #102 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I don't necessarily think HTs are killing the Movie Theaters, but I will say it's competition. I have a modest HT setup mostly from the mid-low range of items but I feel it rivals the cineplex sometimes. IMAX is worth going to, especially IMAX 3D. I feel like my HT experience is not much different then the lesser quality auditoriums at a nearby cineplex; even the okay auditoriums. At home there's no "guy" walking in and plopping down with their cellphone lit up just to waste time before their movie. I still go to the theater for certain movies, but I think they need to compete with home theater enthusiasts.
post #103 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 PM

There's a distinction to be made here. There are home theaters, and then there are home theaters. More and more people are able to afford flat screens and a speaker system, but still not many are trying to fully replace the commercial theater. There's an obvious difference, and I think that even if you're nowhere close to being an audiophile or videophile, you would be sorely aware that your living room does not give the same experience as even the crappiest theater at your local mall. Some of us, however, have projectors, anamorphic lenses, amplifier and pre-amplifier separates, and bass large enough to function as a coffee table. Apples and oranges: conflating the two does a disservice to this conversation. I'd be willing to bet home theater enthusiasts of the prior kind have no pretenses that their systems are like dollhouses to the cineplex mansion; if they are not going to theaters, it only means that they were never really that interested in that experience to begin with.
post #104 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuen.now View Post

There's a distinction to be made here. There are home theaters, and then there are home theaters. More and more people are able to afford flat screens and a speaker system, but still not many are trying to fully replace the commercial theater. There's an obvious difference, and I think that even if you're nowhere close to being an audiophile or videophile, you would be sorely aware that your living room does not give the same experience as even the crappiest theater at your local mall. Some of us, however, have projectors, anamorphic lenses, amplifier and pre-amplifier separates, and bass large enough to function as a coffee table. Apples and oranges: conflating the two does a disservice to this conversation. I'd be willing to bet home theater enthusiasts of the prior kind have no pretenses that their systems are like dollhouses to the cineplex mansion; if they are not going to theaters, it only means that they were never really that interested in that experience to begin with.

Or they are like millions and have been affected by these challenging economic times. Going to the movies is a luxury. And with the continuing rise in ticket prices, something that many have had to give up.
post #105 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Sure, but there's a difference between not going to the theaters because they want to save money, and not going to the theaters because home theater has taken over that function.
post #106 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 744
For me in many cases the theaters drove me home. They started eliminating quality theaters, or maintaining them properly. Sound systems often not up to par on the newer models, or incorrectly setup on existing systems by the poorly trained and motivated staff, or sound bleed from the multi theater thing (or the mini theater thing depending how you look at it). High prices not so much as I'm single but if I were a family guy would definitely be a problem, let alone the overpriced and just plain bad food (popcorn without real butter? screw that). Placing them in malls and/or with poor parking facilities, etc. I find it much more enjoyable at home even though I only have a flat screen and good audio in my living room, still beat crap out of most theaters. I do like the big (not the rinky dink) IMAX theater experience occasionally, though...it is a significant drive for me, though, to get to a good IMAX.

PS Even where I live now not being convenient to theaters, I lived in San Francisco previously and it wasn't much better there...

post #107 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Sure, but there's a difference between not going to the theaters because they want to save money, and not going to the theaters because home theater has taken over that function.

And who makes that disctiction? Let me know when you find a survey of 100,000 people as opposed to a website that specializes in HT.
post #108 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

And who makes that disctiction? Let me know when you find a survey of 100,000 people as opposed to a website that specializes in HT.
People make this distinction, just as you have when you said the economy is holding people back. That's a distinction you've just made. As long as we're clear that this distinction exists, and that talking about one thing is not talking about the other, then it doesn't matter what any survey says.

The title of this thread is Is Home Theater Technology Killing Movie Theaters?. In this case, as per the rationale you gave in your previous post: No, it isn't; ticket prices are killing movie theaters. Now maybe home theater is also killing movie theaters, but that wasn't your point.
post #109 of 254 Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:

People make this distinction, just as you have when you said the economy is holding people back. That's a distinction you've just made. As long as we're clear that this distinction exists, and that talking about one thing is not talking about the other, then it doesn't matter what any survey says.

Sure it does. Which is killing Movie Theaters more? Which is keeping people in their homes and not going to the movies?

All we know is that attendance is down. That is a trend. It's been that way for a while. But we don't what "distinction" has the greater effect.
Quote:
The title of this thread is Is Home Theater Technology Killing Movie Theaters?. In this case, as per the rationale you gave in your previous post: No, it isn't; ticket prices are killing movie theaters. Now maybe home theater is also killing movie theaters, but that wasn't your point.

Correct - IMO, it is the economic factor that is the biggest killer for Movie Theaters, not Home Theater technology.
post #110 of 254 Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Sure it does. Which is killing Movie Theaters more?
Perhaps you're interested... I'm interested in that people with big screen TV's surely don't assume it is a complete replacement for theaters in the size and scope of the experience. They might think it's "good enough", but they're capable of perceiving the difference. There are people that think Golf on the Wii is good enough, but they'd know better than to mistake that for the real thing. The "good enough" folks are not true home theater enthusiasts. They might be movie enthusiasts, but they are not as concerned with the more visceral aspects.

There are 3 products that a theater sells, the first 2 of which the home theater hopes to duplicate:
  1. Movies
  2. Experience
  3. Social convention

What I mean by social convention is that the theater exists as a place traditionally for more proper social gatherings like dates, or perhaps by convenience of being in proximity with other events or happenings make it more suitable for some people as a place to socialize instead of in the privacy of a living room. This will be discussed no further because it is incidental (if a restaurant depends on social convention to survive more than food or experience, then it is doomed).

Moving up, we have experience and movies; both are primary products. And this distinction must be made because there are different people that are distinctly after one or the other. Many people go to the movies only to catch the latest movie they'd want to watch, in which case it would not be the home theater that would be killing movie theaters (because they are not so interested in replicated the experience), but maybe other forms of content delivery, or price and whatnot. The "good enough" people with flat screen TVs might care to some extent about experience, but probably not to affect any trend for theater-going, since the quality of home systems have been in an incremental increase for decades. There is no reason that the same type of people who have a mid/high-end large tube TV and a top-notch DVD player in the 90s would suddenly change their habits with a 50-inch LCD and a Blu-ray player -- a new generation with a new generation of standards.

Ticket prices, aside from concession, have not actually significantly increased beyond inflation, although low-level wage have not kept up with inflation. That could limit some people from going to the theaters, but I doubt that if someone could afford going 10 years ago, that they could be priced out. It's not any more expensive than a night out anywhere. So I disagree that high cost is a direct motivation for not going. If anything, it may be a combination of high cost and "good enough", but I would also like to add lack of interest. Does the theater have any extraordinary function for the laymen, non-movie theater enthusiasts?

I would posit that these people go to theaters for the same reason they go to the local park -- it's an activity. They are not the establishment's regular customers. While at one point they might have went to the theaters every couple of weeks, the economy may keep them home more often.

If the theater does have regular customers, we could probably categorize them thusly:
  • People who want to be the first on the block to see the latest movie.
  • People who are in love with the theater experience.

If we identify the motivations of theater-goers, and if we identify possible concerns they may have, then we might be able to identify the cause of a trend. First, there is the economy (and I don't think price can be fairly attributed in this case). Second, I can say that maybe 1% of the population have a fully dedicated home theater setup that could be conceived as rivaling a commercial movie theater, although its affordability is coming down; I can't see this as a major concern for movie theaters in the near term. Third, it is possible that the lag time between when a new movie hits Pay-Per-View, online streaming, or comes out on disc have gone down. Fourth, I think it's possible that the internet and changing social norms have shifted focus away from the movie theater as a gathering spot; even for a dating setting, a lot of people will prefer coffee to a movie date (I don't have the authority to speak for the past).

This is, of course, all speculation. No one has a survey of 100,000 people, not even you (and if it existed, it would have been posted in the original post), so asking for such is a farce. What we do know is that there are different motivations and it does not help to conflate them all into 1; there are different levels of home theater systems, and neither does it help to pretend all home theaters exist for the same purpose. Not knowing the effects of each distinction does not excuse not making that distinction which could very well factor into the reality of the situation.
post #111 of 254 Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post

According to Romney, the broke half of the country is the one that agrees with Hollywood's politics. Coincidence? Probably.

Probably not.
post #112 of 254 Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 AM

I miss the old days outdoor movie experience. Now THAT was fun.
Indoor Movie Theaters ushered that one out.
Now Home Theaters are ushering the Movie Theaters out.
What's next?
post #113 of 254 Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 17
I'm on a budget, so my theatre isn't anywhere near top of the line, but it's still better than going to the cinema. What does it have over my setup? My sound is better because cinema theatres are too large and create annoying echo and phase problems. Their screens are larger, but I'm sitting 6 feet from a 55 inch plasma, so I'm getting a better picture. It fills my field of vision just as much as a cinema screen does unless I'm sitting close to the cinema screen, which causes it to look murky and lose detail.

I will go to the 4k theatre, but it's a bit far to drive, so that's for special occasions. Otherwise, I stay at home and have a much better time.

I save my going out experiences and money for other things, like seeing Nosferatu last Sunday at the Tampa Theatre, one of the only surviving Movie Palaces in the US and probably the best looking one. The organ orchestral system was played live to the movie. That was a far better experience than I ever get at a normal movie theatre.
post #114 of 254 Old 11-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Been to 1 movie in a theater in the last 15+ years. Doesn't bother me in the slightest to wait for Blu-Ray, no interest in sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, ticket/snack prices, usually getting sub optimal viewing angles, etc. Certainly have a better than average home theater, don't miss the theaters at all. Part of that is that the one theater in PDX closed about that many years ago, it was the only one in the area that put the effort into a very good, well calibrated sound system (and that was 40 miles from home).

Thanks for the heads up on Cinetopia... peaked my curiousity... may have to check them out!
post #115 of 254 Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

We had a good experience at the new Cinetopia in Beaverton (I live 45 seconds from it.).Our only problem was we chose to go at the wrong time and it cost us. We were watching our grandkid boys, 3 and 6, and took them to a Fri. afternoon matinee to see Madagascar III. The only theater showing it at the time we needed was a Living Room setup. I had a Groupon discount which for a reason I forget didn't get us better than the senior ticket price for my wife and me. But we did get a free popcorn. Total for the 4 of us $42. I thought the seat were extremely comfortable and the "crowd" viewing with us was 3 other kids with parents/gp's. BTW, we've been to Mill Plain too and that place is outrageous. I loved the wine tasting room. Since we were with the kids I wasn't able to explore the Beaverton's similar offerings. I also think the frequency of the Groupon and similar discounts I have seen for Cinetopia indicates they may be hurting for customers. Moviegoers around here are probably flocking to the Narnia Theater.
Now, where would like to watch the Duck's/USC game? Big Al's maybe? Now there's a big screen TV experience.

Narnia Theater? What is that?

I think it's interesting that a few are calling the Mill Plain Cinetopia a cooler experience than the Vancouver Mall or Progress Ridge. The Mill Plain is cool and of course the original. But the ohter two new ones have the bigger screens and the better sound. And they have the Parlor for something different. I suppose one could establish a preference for a 21 and over "living room" experience that's a dedicated theater (albeit smaller) rather than the Living room "skybox" example where it's an upper balcony like at the Vanc Mall Location... Interesting that the allure of not having kids around me (as well as table service) prompts me to choose the living room despite that lingering voice in my head that says sitting in an upper balcony in the back might NOT be the optimal position for sound quality...)

I also find it very interesting that there's a relatively high percentage of people in this thread that are in the Portland/Vancouver metro area. I've heard a LOT of Cinetopia comments for it being in only one area of the USA.
post #116 of 254 Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM

A lot of good perspectives in this thread.

I don't think home theater in itself is a major factor killing movie theaters. I also don't believe it is price alone, or what I consider poorer quality movies, or even the greater availability and diversity of alternative entertainment.

But all these work together. They have a negative synergy for movie theaters.

Movies cost too much, not in absolute terms, but compared to the alternatives. I no longer have to either go to the theater or else wait months to see something in far, far poorer quality, thereby pretty much losing the premium experience opportunity forever. I will never, ever forget the opening night of the original Star Wars!

Now, I know I can wait. I know I can catch it, or something else I am in the mood for, at my convenience, on a 1080P flat panel on recorded HDTV, Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Prime,...

If I think it's more deserving I can watch from 10' in the basement theater projected on a 102" with 7.1 audio on decent speakers, and when I feel it's worth it buy the Blu-ray for a really good experience that I can repeat any time I want.

So up to $14 for a movie, $7 for a soda, $8 for popcorn, even with lot's of real butter and free refills, the experience is too expensive compared to today's alternatives.

Personally though, I'm old. I have good movie theater memories. I have some fine nearby theaters ...one within walking distance with a live theater organist on weekends or $5 Wacky Wednesdays to lessen the pain in the pocketbook ...another within a half mile with a huge screen, a perfect balcony and a full bar in the lobby. So I still go a couple times a month on average.

But I log what I see and where, and there is a lot of the year when there is just nothing worth paying that much to go see. Sadly, too often I find that out after I have gone and paid, thinking this might have been OK at home on Netflix but not worth over $50 for 2 people, even in a nice theater.
post #117 of 254 Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 12
To answer the basic question of this thread, YES! My home theater killed the movie theaters! And RIP for the theaters! The greedy bast**ds at the local AMC Saratoga and Cupertino locations here in the heart of Silicon Valley have replaced the old style real 70mm projectors with the cheap crappy digital projectors with the same resolution of my home theater 1080p. Since the image is projected through an LCD panel, the brightness is down to nothing.There are no sharp images, not like the details of an actual film especially of the subtleties of black areas. All I saw was a huge blob of black in areas that should have had intricate shading. For example when the movie shows someone in a black suit, there are no details at all. The vibrant colors and super sharp edge details are gone in a digital projection. It's worse than watching an old tube TV at home from the '80s.

I decided to upgrade my HT system a few years ago and now my home experience is 1,000 times better than the AMC theaters. I complained to them on line many times and the best they can do is refer me to the theater snot-nosed kid who is the "manager" that said there's nothing he can do. He said the complete movie presentation is computer driven and automatic. The projectors are all digital and there's no way to adjust the brightness or focus.

My 80" Sharp LED-LCD and the 19 speaker surround sound I setup can't compare with the AMC theater experience. So what if I don't see the movies the same week it's relased! There's no movie worth putting up with the crappy experience just to see it when it first comes out.

Now I have a choice of 1,000's of movies from my DirecTV, my on line sources such as Amazon Prime ($79/yr, thousands of movies), Netflix, etc.

RIP AMC Movie theaters!

(if you click on the image below, you can see an expanded version for the details)

post #118 of 254 Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post

Narnia Theater? What is that?

I also find it very interesting that there's a relatively high percentage of people in this thread that are in the Portland/Vancouver metro area. I've heard a LOT of Cinetopia comments for it being in only one area of the USA.

Narnia Theater is my neighbor, Jim Prouty's, HT creation here in Tigard, OR See his work http://jamesandvanessa1.home.comcast.net/~jamesandvanessa1/theater.html. The link is also in his profile and signature.

I'm sure the Cinetopia people are happy for us to get the word out. Not certain the model is a raging success, though, but with two outlets following Mill Plain there must be a compelling business target.
post #119 of 254 Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Liked: 41
I've already weighed in, so I'll waste your time with this coda:

1. My home theater killed my attendance at the local cineplex.

2. I drove by at lunch and my former cineplex is still open despite my lack of attendance for the past three months.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #120 of 254 Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

I've already weighed in, so I'll waste your time with this coda:
1. My home theater killed my attendance at the local cineplex.
2. I drove by at lunch and my former cineplex is still open despite my lack of attendance for the past three months.

Yes they may be open today, but theaters are a "for profit" enterprise. Let's assume they require ticket sales of 500 per day to break even and keep the doors open. If they have only 499 because one person quit attending, they are in the red and don't have enough income to pay for the expenses. Guess what? They can't stay in business.

The old saying of the straw that broke the camel's back:

"The idiom the straw that broke the camel's back is from an Arabic proverb about how a greedy trader kept loading merchandise onto his camel, and trying to get the last ounce of work out of it, he added one more straw and the camel became loaded beyond its capacity to move or stand. This is a reference to any process by which cataclysmic failure (a broken back) is achieved by a seemingly inconsequential addition (a single straw). "
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page