Is Home Theater Technology Killing Movie Theaters? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You know what I miss? The outdoor theaters! They were fun. Got my first kiss there too... forgot what the movie was though, wonder why? biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

You know what I miss? The outdoor theaters! They were fun. Got my first kiss there too... forgot what the movie was though, wonder why? biggrin.gif

We're one of the lucky communities that still have an outdoor theater. My daughter, who simply loves our home theater, thought it was the coolest thing. First thing out of her mouth was "hey dad...that screen is WAY bigger than yours!" It was fun to see the younger generation embrace the past.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

We're one of the lucky communities that still have an outdoor theater. My daughter, who simply loves our home theater, thought it was the coolest thing. First thing out of her mouth was "hey dad...that screen is WAY bigger than yours!" It was fun to see the younger generation embrace the past.
Yup, like I said... I loved it back then. (I'm 60) It was a blast. I miss it.
I see some old ones up here that are now giant flea markets. One is a Super Walmart now.
It's not profitable up here in the Seattle/Tacoma area as it rains too much.
Indoor theater took away the outdoor theater business, just like home theaters are doing to movie theaters now, slowly but surely.

How about this.... you see the giant LCD Billboard along the freeways. How about an outdoor theater with a giant LCD/LED screen?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

outdoor theaters

You mean the drive in, or an actual theatre you sit in outdoors?

I grew up not far from the lone drive in theatre in west end suburban Toronto. That place was a magnate for us in HS and university. We'd have a cooler full of beer and some wacky tobacky, pull out the lawn chairs or lay back onto the windshield, and watch 2 or sometimes even 3 features in a row. I remember one summer (1999 or 2000) I worked shifts at my summer job with PPG Canada, and my afternoon shift would end after 11pm, which gave me just enough time to drive 10 minutes to the Drive In and meet up with my buddies... at that time I wouldn't even have to pay b/c it was so late. That one summer I think I got to see the second half of Gladiator over 15 times lol. I'd always show up right at the scene where he's fighting that bulky tigris dude one on one. Memories.

Needless to say I haven't done that in eons! Ha.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 13
Outdoor theatre? Ahh yes, I know what you mean, sounds flippin cold lol

Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 75
We have been doing outdoor movies at the convention pretty much every thursday just showing blurays and what not and people go out and set blankets out and watch it on the grass and that set up was pretty ****** but it has become so popular a company is thinking of actually building a new drive in, I freaking hope so smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Soon movie theaters will only be in the movies.

Get it??? I am so funny I crack myself sometimes!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post

Soon movie theaters will only be in the movies.
Get it??? I am so funny I crack myself sometimes!!!
lol, if you don't stop it I'm calling the elite bad joke squad to eliminate you tongue.gif

Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Liked: 10
Is home theater killing killing commercial movie house?
No, they're just taking separate paths.

I am mid 50's.
I have noticed over the years that a lot of the theater chains have greatly reduced the size of each theater to increase the number within a complex. This has resulted in theaters with smaller screens. They also have gone to more utilitarian seating to increase the capacity (with decreased comfort).
Sound has suffered as well and as has been noted by others, the movie crowd is far more crass than they were in years past.
Popcorn, candy and drink prices are excessive.

I have a relatively modest home theater with excellent light control.
Screen is only a 70" LCD and sound is 7.1 with a 14" sub.
Seating consists of three rows comprised of two reclining couches and a church pew for little kids.
First row is currently about 10 feet from the screen.

We have a theater popcorn kettle machine, a pantry with a LOT of candy and soda and bathrooms with no lines.
I KNOW who has been sitting in the chair and the room doesn't smell of industrial air freshener.
Our popcorn and candy is quite good.
If we NEED to go to the bathroom, we can pause.
We can't hear the doorbell when a movie is playing.
We buy the BluRays when they come out and do not mind waiting an extra 4-6 months for their release.
We can re-watch the movie any time we like.
If there is someone annoying me in my theater, I can tell them to shut up or eject them.
My kids can have theater parties that are very social and cost next to nothing.

So, my home theater has evolved to adapt to my "needs".
The commercial theaters have evolved and expect me to adapt to their model.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Home theatres really are the next best thing to a mans best friend. My dog is now upset lol.

And BTW Chris " It's only a 70"? That's big to me smile.gif

And also, there is no such thing as a gaming cinema, but instead people have their very own. So it is a home movie/gaming theatre.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Although I have what I think is a rather nice HT system I still regularly see movies at the theater, usually at a nearby cineplex. Matinee prices there are still only $4.25 and the theater is immaculately maintained, with first class video and audio equipment. From what I have seen at the neighborhood theater and other local venues I have frequented, movie theaters are drawing better than ever. For example, I plan to see Jack Reacher tomorrow and both Les Miserables and Django over the Christmas holidays. In January I plan to catch Zero Dark Thirty early in its run.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

And BTW Chris " It's only a 70"? That's big to me smile.gif

Yup, size matters. Glad you're happy with yours! Mine is much smaller. eek.gif
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
interesting. i used to work for cinemark as an usher.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

Yup, size matters. Glad you're happy with yours! Mine is much smaller. eek.gif
no actually. For years I was watching everything on a 32 inch. ( oooh, the pain) and received my first big screener yesterday. It's a 51 inch, I feel like I'm at the cinema XD

Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

no actually. For years I was watching everything on a 32 inch. ( oooh, the pain) and received my first big screener yesterday. It's a 51 inch, I feel like I'm at the cinema XD

It won't be long before the 51 incher looks small and you want to go BIGGER !! smile.gif
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

It won't be long before the 51 incher looks small and you want to go BIGGER !! smile.gif
yes I've heard of that before lol.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I've spent so much on home theater equipment in the last 8 years that I can't afford to go out to the movie theater.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
And I built our room because I HATE going to the movie theater.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I'll be sitting 9' from a 2.35:1 92" screen in the home theater i'm building. Comparing to a decent sized movie theater, what row would i be sitting in to have the equivalent immersion?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Commercial theatres are killing commercial theatres with their (at least in Canada) bad projection, uncalibrated sound, rattling of the building interiors, overly loud subwoofer AND charging $16 for all of those stupidities. Home theatre is just an escape from the craptastic commercial theatres. Even without home theatre I would never go to commercial theatre in Canada (THX cinemas at Mann's Chinese Theaters are fine by me)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 PM

I think it started for me when they started using LCDs for movie posters and food menus and making me pay for it with $6 bottles of water. Also, I have zero interest in 3D.

EDIT: I should add that I'm single, not a people person. I enjoy not having to listen to disrespectful people have conversations or having to hear/see their cell phone. I also like that my home setup is dialed in on me.

TV: Toshiba 46L5200U (ISF calibrated)
Bluray/Stream/Game: PS3 (1.5TB storage)
Conditioning: Belkin PureAV PF30
NAS: WD MY NET N750 w/ 1.5TB
Rcvr: Harman/Kardon AVR 1700 | Turntable: Audio Technica LP60
Front: Polk Audio T15 | Center: Polk Audio CSR | Rear: Curtis POS's
Sub: Logitech Z2300
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post

I think it started for me when they started using LCDs for movie posters and food menus and making me pay for it with $6 bottles of water. Also, I have zero interest in 3D.
EDIT: I should add that I'm single, not a people person. I enjoy not having to listen to disrespectful people have conversations or having to hear/see their cell phone. I also like that my home setup is dialed in on me.

Don't forget the people who wait for the quietest moment in the film to open their twizzlers and stuff their faces. Just sayin.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 AM

At least one of the big budget movie examples (given to show statics) was not doomed by home theater technology.

"The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure" dug its own grave. I mean, who wants to go see a movie with stupid-sounding title, unless you are dragged to it by your 7 yr. old?

Why do you think "Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss" never graduated to the silver screen?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

She just wants my big 51 inch, video of my favorite blues. smile.gif
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 AM

I haven't been to the movies in about 2.5 years. When we lived in podunk, we used to go to the "dollar" theater and the drive-in theater back home, but there aren't any equivalents to that here in the DC metro. If we want to go to the theater, then we go to a live theater performance. Even a community theater is a better experience than most movies, and the tickets are cheaper than the movies.

I think that the major factor is price. The only thing that I ever missed at the dollar theater was stadium seating. I am sure that surround sound would have been nice for some of the movies, but I didn't miss it. The slightly smaller screen was actually quite relaxing. I didn't notice a lack of video quality, which was probably due to the smaller screen. It was nice to have a sound system that wasn't cranked up so high as to cause distortion due to the speakers and/or environment. The movie-goers were also much quieter. The theater was always packed, which adds to the experience. I can't remember the last time that I was in a movie theater that was more than half full. You have to set aside time to go on opening weekend.

At the drive-in, you get two movies for the price of one! You can also make a lot of commotion without annoying your neighbors. If they want privacy, then they can roll up their windows and turn on their radio!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlutz View Post

4. What was the last blockbuster? What was the last real blockbuster that everyone had to run out and see? There hasn't been one for years. Hollywood keeps regurgitating the same old garbage. There's a new Spiderman. The last one was made after 2000. The unoriginality of Hollywood is mind bogglingly awful.

2001 gave us Pearl Harbor, Beautiful Mind, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Monsters Inc, and it pretty much ended that year.

2003 gave us the first Pirates movie

Since then it has been a long line of sequels, Batman, and Spiderman. There were a few really good movies, but none of them combined all the elements of story telling in such a way that it would become a blockbuster. I can't even think of any recent original stories that attempts to combine action, love, and comedy in an effort to unify the hearts and souls of all Americans...
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricc0wb0y View Post

2001 gave us Pearl Harbor, Beautiful Mind, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Monsters Inc, and it pretty much ended that year.
2003 gave us the first Pirates movie
Since then it has been a long line of sequels, Batman, and Spiderman. There were a few really good movies, but none of them combined all the elements of story telling in such a way that it would become a blockbuster. I can't even think of any recent original stories that attempts to combine action, love, and comedy in an effort to unify the hearts and souls of all Americans...

I think avatar and the avengers have been the last two movies that everyone must see. many saw them.

Jacob
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The biggest problem I have with going to a theater is the same as I have where any crowd gathers.
Fully 1/2 of the people there are not there to watch the event, they are simply there.
Talking, using the phone, getting up and getting refreshments, bumping/kicking seats.
Why did they even come to the theater ???
If you call them out on it, it just causes a bigger disturbance.
I have a lot invested in audio/video equipment and its worth every penny.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Wow, i am so glad someone made this thread. i actually thoght for many years i was missing something by not going to a cinema. by what im hearing, im not missing much. phew lol.
now i like my home theatre even more, ill give it a kiss one day lol.

I suppose if you listen to people who have no clue what is going on in today's modern theaters you would believe that. For a long time, up until about 5 years ago, this would be true that the movie theater was stuck in stagnation and the home theater offered far more pleasurable viewing. Primarily, IMO, the home theater offered privacy, which is something no commercial theater will ever achieve. But, as far as the actual movie technology is concerned, the changes beyond home theater offering have been numerous in the past 5 years. Going from the ancient stage, single screen house to the multiples and stadium seating that was the only innovation in a hundred years. During the past 5 or so years the theaters experience have offered far more than is possible with today's home theater. Here are a few that I have noticed and I don't go to the theater very often-
1. New huge sound systems with multiple channels, far more than the basic 5.1 or even the latest 11.2 we have in home theater.
2. Same movie offered in various viewing formats, 2D, 3D, IMAX, IMAX 3D, now 48 fps( HFR) Today, we now have home theater 3D, but the others are only available in the commercial movie theater.
3. 4D, and 5D concept in some special theme park theaters where we can experience circle 360 in 3D with motion seating, water spray, odors, breeze in your face and even action that touches you around your feet to expand the movie viewing experience

OK, some of you may not like these experiences but that is not the point. The point is going to a theater offers movie going experience like you can't yet get in your home theater. If you believe that Avatar is the latest and greatest and your HT experience can beat that then you obviously are quite ignorant of the possibilities and availabilities in the public commercial theater.

The thing that will kill a Movie theater today is that it does not offer these new innovations that people are willing to pay for and the competitor down the street does offer them. The HT only offers privacy. But, our beloved HT is of no threat to the commercial theater.

So, do I prefer my HT to the commercial theater? Of course, but I respect the movie house for what it offers and when a special movie comes along that shows me what I can't get at home I go and fork over about $50 for that entertainment experience I can't get at home. Last week I saw The Hobbit in 3D 48 fps. WOW! that was great. But at one point I became annoyed that the person behind me kept commenting and wouldn't shut up. Turning around and staring at them fixed that this time. I don't have to do that in my HT !
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
i agree.