post #241 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

So does that mean cinema screens are 4K or a massive 1080p screen?
Cinema screen presentation is about 2k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Of everyone I know (including our station engineer), I'm the only one with a dedicated theater room. Let's remember that we are still a small minority when it comes to watching movies on an expensive dedicated A/V system. Bottom line is, if we can afford that, we can afford going out and mixing it up with the general public. Sure, I watch the majority of movies at home but the girlfriend enjoys going out for a movie night every once-in-a-awhile. It's not so much the movie itself but for the two of us to get away. Thank God for her big purse because it acts as a storage container for anything we want to eat or drink. wink.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #243 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

So does that mean cinema screens are 4K or a massive 1080p screen?

Movie theatres project at 4K from a special digital format not a blu-ray. Learn to google search a quickest way to find out.
post #244 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I live a 5 minute walk from the movie theater. So far this past few weeks I've seen "The Hobbit 3D", 'Jack Reacher' and 'Django Unchained'. Looking forward to seeing more films on the big screen. Low ticket prices in my town mean this remains a great value in entertainment. I much prefer this to sitting at home. That said, I do like watching some things on the box at home like current TV series, some TCM movies, etc. Sometimes it's all about the mood I'm in.
post #245 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 13
I'm not familiar with 4K TVs but if they do get released and come down in price, surely that would also narrow down the differences between HT systems and the cinema.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #246 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Went to see Skyfall recently - at the SF Metreon. Before it started there was a proud announcement on the screen "Brought to you by Sony's latest 4K technology". The people who understood what that meant are just the people who are likely (one day) to go out and buy the new TVs and then go to movies less. Go figure biggrin.gif
post #247 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post

Learn to google search a quickest way to find out.

He did, Google told him to ask the question to the friendly, helpful members of AVS as they are the "experts" and have a great passion for all things AV. Of course the same search also told him to beware as some at AVS do not seem very tolerant of noob type questions.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #248 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

He did, Google told him to ask the question to the friendly, helpful members of AVS as they are the "experts" and have a great passion for all things AV. Of course the same search also told him to beware as some at AVS do not seem very tolerant of noob type questions.
That's where you are wrong, you can't just ask any question in any thread, every thread has a subject and it has to stay within that subject otherwise it will be unreadable, there is sections in the forum that may have such answer, this thread is not one. Just like I can't jump in this thread and say i have sony tv with no sound anybody help me please?
post #249 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I will still go to the movies just to be sociable with friends, but the movie experience is far less exciting than home theater. Disregarding concession stand and ticket prices, to me the picture quality is far inferior in the theater to home theater. The image at the theater is very washed out and dull compared to watching on my 120" screen using an Epson 8700. Add in people next to you on their cell phones and people in back of you banging into your seat, going to the theater is a far less preferable option.
post #250 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

thanks for that crazy4daisy. And just to add, I did do a search and the answer the guy gave me was far better than what the search engine came up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #251 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post

That's where you are wrong, you can't just ask any question in any thread, every thread has a subject and it has to stay within that subject otherwise it will be unreadable, there is sections in the forum that may have such answer, this thread is not one. Just like I can't jump in this thread and say i have sony tv with no sound anybody help me please?

Oh so I'm wrong? In a thread titled "Is home theater technology killing movie theaters" you think it's wrong for someone to ask is a cinema screen 4k or 1080p? So what about all the posts complaining of high food and drink prices, what relevance do they have to the thread title? What about the posts about pesky patrons, what relevance are they to the thread title? No buddy YOU are wrong, his question was legit and relevant and didn't need the "use google search" response.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #252 of 254 Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM

Liked: 41

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #253 of 254 Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

Exactly, Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right
post #254 of 254 Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM

no move is worth paying close to $100 to go see - i can spend $10-20 on a bd and my entire fam can enjoy it on our 106" screen in our dedicated home theater. even before i had the HT i may have gome to the movie theater once a year. the quality and experience is not high enough to justify the price.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page