Triad Cinema Reference CR-1 Loudspeaker Preview - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Loudspeaker manufacturer Triad has announced the Cinema Reference CR-1, a brand new flagship LCR speaker.

Quote:
The design goal behind the CR-1 was to fulfill a need for large screening rooms and dedicated home theaters. It it supposed to easily hit reference level in 15 to 30 seat theaters. The CR-1 is meant to go loud and has more headroom than any speaker Triad has every created. They claim it can comfortably exceed 120dB @ 1 meter (we assume at 1Khz). The driver design certainly makes us believe it can play loud.

The bass driver is a 15” woofer, supported by two 8” midrange drivers and a proprietary air motion transformer tweeter. We do not know anything about the driver design except that they are from “premium European driver manufacturers." We can guess that they are extremely high quality and possibly custom tailored by Triad after being ordered OEM. This would make sense because otherwise we are not sure how a tweeter Triad orders from another manufacturer is proprietary to them.

More on the design:
Quote:
Also new in the CR-1 is Triad’s Diffraction Control Technology (DCT), which employs a baffle design to minimize diffraction and resonances, and act as an acoustic diffuser. The CR-1 cabinet is made of premium MDF with extensive asymmetrical bracing. It also has internal proprietary-damping material and back-wave deflectors to reduce cabinet resonance.

The speaker is designed to be mounted on a wall with 12 degrees of toe-in, set behind a screen, or set in-room on an optional stand. It is available in flat black, real wood veneer and custom colors. Triad claims the size is modest, but at 46-inches (H) x 31-inches (W) x 10-inches (D) we wouldn’t exactly call it unobtrusive. However, based on the size of venue it is made to accommodate, it is very thin and certainly smaller than much of the competition. Part of the reason Triad kept the speaker so thin was so it could easily fit behind an acoustically transparent screen. And since it is an LCR speaker it should make for a seamless transition across the front soundstage.

What do you think?

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 101
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Beautiful

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 16
very sexy speaker. But well it perform at that price? wink.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Yeah, they look really sweet and I hope at that price they melt my ears.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #5 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
wow I love the classic look that these offer, visually speaking they are stunning

post #6 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If they are considered to be better than the plats .. then they certainly will not disappoint.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Liked: 12
They are beautiful for sure. My slight confusion is that their intended market, large high end HT's, generally place the speakers behind an AT screen. So not only do you lose seeing the beautiful wood work, it actually becomes a negative. I don't have any personal experience with a microperf style screen but I know with a woven screen that shininess of that wood finish would bounce back degrading the image.

I don't know if I could afford the black AT fabric to cover these head to toe after the $45k entry price for a LCR. wink.gif

Who's going to be the beta tester!? I'd love to hear impressions for anyone who's heard them.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Really nice speakers, but that price is a killer..
post #9 of 10 Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post

They are beautiful for sure. My slight confusion is that their intended market, large high end HT's, generally place the speakers behind an AT screen. So not only do you lose seeing the beautiful wood work, it actually becomes a negative. I don't have any personal experience with a microperf style screen but I know with a woven screen that shininess of that wood finish would bounce back degrading the image.

I don't know if I could afford the black AT fabric to cover these head to toe after the $45k entry price for a LCR. wink.gif

Who's going to be the beta tester!? I'd love to hear impressions for anyone who's heard them.

It's available in flat black for behind the screen applications.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Really like this speaker. I always love a high performance design and this one looks like it could deliver. Too pricey tho but Triads lower model stuff ain't cheap either.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page