Boxee TV is Now a Cloud DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Boxee TV brings us one step closer to seamlessly merging media streaming, channel surfing, and TV hoarding experiences into one box .

Quote:
It's not as if this $100 box is the very first device to attempt this—Google TV allows you to pass through a signal from a cable box, while DVRs like Tivo have some apps. But Boxee TV accomplishes most of this with a single piece of hardware. Roughly the size of two Roku's stacked side by side, the back of the unit is a coaxial cable input which takes a direct HD signal from an antenna or basic cable package, and passes it to the TV via HDMI.

On top of the TV feed is Boxee's UI, complete with a full channel guide and a somewhat streamlined experience. Boxee says that it found users were overwhelmed by having too many apps to choose from, and throwing TV in the mix, that feeling would multiply. So they nixed that aspect of Boxee and will only offer a handful of apps from the start, including Netflix, Pandora, Vimeo, Vudu, and YouTube. Local streaming—whether it be wireless or via USB—will still be fully supported, however.
Quote:
But then there's the coup de grâce: DVR. Instead of going with local storage that the company packaged in with the product or you had to ante up for, Boxee is looking to the cloud for some help. When you select a show to record via the device or Boxee's web interface, it doesn't pass it off to a hard drive. Rather, it begins encoding and uploading that show to the cloud. Once a sufficient chunk is available, you can begin watching from anywhere. It's almost as if its combined most of the benefits of a DVR with a few of the features from a SlingBox. Plus, since the unit is equipped with a dual tuner, you can watch one show while recording another. But this functionality comes at a price—$15/month to be exact. And while that's a bit pricey, it does net you unlimted DVR storage.

Obviously Boxee TV can't provide all the benefits of a proper cable box—only so many channels can be delivered without a cable company-supplied set-top box. But Boxee thinks this could be especially handy for those who only have (or want) basic cable or antenna TV. Lookout for this one to hit stores on Nov 1st.

Boxee TV sounds like it is shaping up rather nicely. What do you think?

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The fact that they went to a Broadcom chip, and with no local storage, and possibly limited local network streaming?

Completely lost my interest. First Ceton dropping the Q, and now this coming up very short. Will have to keep my WMC on life support a little longer.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
At least they've gone back to a more conventional box design not like the last version ..
post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 11
Not really feeling the $15/month to save things to the cloud. Can an external hard drive be attached and the recorded programs be saved to it instead of the cloud? With cord cutting, my goal is to eliminate monthly fees. Granted, $15 would be significantly less than most, if not all, cable bills, but I'm not a big fan of the cloud. So, paying for the privilege to copy there isn't really a selling point.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleDrone View Post

... With cord cutting, my goal is to eliminate monthly fees. Granted, $15 would be significantly less than most, if not all, cable bills, but I'm not a big fan of the cloud.

That probably sums it up fort most cord cutters. Why pay for cloud when a HD will do. Why pay for menu service when Windows Media will do... It's like Boxee had to just go with subscription, any way possible, to make money and maybe even survive. I can't balme them, but they won't get a dime from me (as a cost oriented cord cutter) for another dang cloud service.

For $100, with hard drive, I'd have bought in. I was eyeing Boxee for months expecting the DVR solution from them. Just saying, missed the boat on this Boxee!
post #6 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 132
DVR solution=TIVO,

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #7 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post

That probably sums it up fort most cord cutters. Why pay for cloud when a HD will do. Why pay for menu service when Windows Media will do... It's like Boxee had to just go with subscription, any way possible, to make money and maybe even survive. I can't balme them, but they won't get a dime from me (as a cost oriented cord cutter) for another dang cloud service.
For $100, with hard drive, I'd have bought in. I was eyeing Boxee for months expecting the DVR solution from them. Just saying, missed the boat on this Boxee!

If I could get rid of my Dtv bill of $100/ mo, with two boxy, $200, plus is it $15/ unit or $15 each:rolleyes:?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Boxee Tv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page